Login |  Register |  FAQ

Guildford Epic Team Event - September 15th 2018

Post subject: Guildford Epic Team Event - September 15th 2018
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:54 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Straddling the borders of the Cicatrix Maledictum and the Imperium Nihilus is the valuable system of Guilders Forge. The rent in realspace has left the system sitting in a strange limbo state, partially in real space and partially inside the Warp. It is a nexus of power that draws races from across the galaxy to its riches and in those strange shifting tides even stranger alliances are forged...

Hi!

I'm running an Epic team event this September 15th, 2018 in Guildford, UK.

https://www.facebook.com/events/582231062163384/?active_tab=about

Date: September 15th, 2018

Entrants: 14 players in 2 teams of 7

Cost: £12.50 per person

Tickets go on sale from the 17th June

Prize support for:
MVP team 1 (players vote)
MVP team 2 (players vote)
Best Painted (players vote)
Best conversions/theme (players vote)

Registration 0900 ends 0930
Event ends ~1800

It's not a normal team event though, it's got a host of changes to hopefully make it a pretty different event to a normal tournament and to really play up the team aspect.

The rules for the event are available in full here: http://www.guildfordgamesclub.uk/uncategorized/an-alternative-epic-team-event/

The big objective is to make it so that there is strategising about match ups and where to accept a loss to allow for greater victory elsewhere. Hopefully it will also change what kinds of lists, types of strategies, types of units, etc. get taken.

You don't need to come with a team of your own! Players will be sorted into one of the two teams using the following criteria
1. even number of players on each team
2. specific player request to be on one team or another
3. trying to spread out the armies being played so there's diversity of army on each team
4. keeping an eye on EpicUK tournament appearances and placements (i.e.: trying to balance 'experience' between the teams)

If this sounds like something you'd like to try out please get in touch and sign up! All I need to know is your name, which army you'll be using and if you have any preferences about which team you end up on (e.g.: On the same team as my buddy! Facing off against my nemesis!)

I don't need army lists, those will vary across the event, please check the linked event rules above for more details.

Players
Team 1
1. Carl Hellicar
2. James Kocher

Team 2
1. Richard L
2. Elsmore

Last edited by Scutarii on Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Guildford Epic Team Event - September 15th 2018
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:57 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

probably in for this, just need to find some time to work through those rules

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:37 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I'm definitely up for taking part :) happy to be on either team.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:28 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I'm interested. Need to check diary, clear it with management etc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Online solutions:
http://cloudlevel.me

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:38 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

So, hopefully you've had a chance to read the special rules?

Any thoughts or comments?

From my side I am considering upping the points per side to [number of tables+1]*2000pts. Right now the average game size is <2k, which feels a tad small. This change would make the average game size a little over 2k, which feels a bit better IMO. I want to make sure the average points is below 3k because round times are usually 2.5hrs for a tournament but here we're spending some time in the team pick and choose phase so to make timing out less of a concern I want to keep games below that size.

The other thing I might change is the number of 'special cards' each team gets. Might drop it to 4 rather than 7. With 7 it feels like it;s too common and undercuts the pick/counterpick dynamic. I still want the teams to have some chance to interrupt the normal pick/counter sequence to have a bit more interactivity during that phase. 8 out of 21 games being impacted by them feels better than 14 out of 21.

Does anyone else have thoughts, comments or deep emotional responses?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:46 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

not read them in detail, but a bit over 2k is one of the things that has me interested, as id like to bring my vannahiem and i'm shy of the 3000pt mark.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:53 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I have updated the rules to have the increased points total (16000pts) and fewer of the special cards to allow the pick/counterpick dynamic to be more important.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:36 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Should be in for this, may be able to bring some others as well.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:37 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I dont really understand the special cards when they refer to 'if they haven't decided any of those details'.

Also the one about picking points 'for either player' - is this both players, one player, and if both, do both players use the same points value?

My only other comment is I think you may struggle to do all that is needed in 15 minutes unless the captain just blasts through the picks and cards without discussion and it's clear up front how many points (and what points granularity) each player can field. It may be worth a dry run of 14 players turning up with random armies and just playing the planning and army list generation phase.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:59 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I'm sure there will be a degree of pre-event planning for teams, as well as people finishing games with time to spare starting to think about the next round, so i don't think teams will necessarily go in cold each round with 15 mins to plan everything. Personally i'd be looking to get an idea from each person what points level they were happy playing with before the event.

I think the idea of 'lists on the fly' is an interesting one, although unless people have a lot of points available, having some set army lists for different points levels would probably make sense. I'd suggest people might want to use an app like armybuilder to get legal and accurate lists out if they're writing them then and there, although granted it can be a bit of a pain on a phone.

Oh, talking of teams are you planning on divvying up players between the two yourself?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:02 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Bellerophon wrote:
Should be in for this, may be able to bring some others as well.

Great :)

Kyrt wrote:
I dont really understand the special cards when they refer to 'if they haven't decided any of those details'.

Basically it's so that when a team plays a card they have already decided what it will be for. Rather than playing the card and having both teams stand there for a few minutes while the team actually decides.

I.e.: both teams are chatting, scribbling lists, deciding stuff. One team calls out playing a card so both team stop their decision making to pay attention to an important choice and then both stand there for 2 minutes for the team to actually decide.

Mostly it's a fall back for a situation I hope won't come up.

Kyrt wrote:
Also the one about picking points 'for either player' - is this both players, one player, and if both, do both players use the same points value?

Do you mean the Tip Off card? The team that plays the card gets to decide how many points their opponent will use. The player from the team that played the card does not have to use the same number of points.

Kyrt wrote:
My only other comment is I think you may struggle to do all that is needed in 15 minutes unless the captain just blasts through the picks and cards without discussion and it's clear up front how many points (and what points granularity) each player can field. It may be worth a dry run of 14 players turning up with random armies and just playing the planning and army list generation phase.

Yeah, I'm hoping that players who finish early (e.g.: those who might have less than 3kpts) will be planning during the downtime.

It is a concern though. It could be extended to 30 mins leaving 2 hours to play ~2k pt games but that feels like it's cutting into the actual game time which is the main point in playing!

Doing a dry run would be great but then I'd need 14 willing people in real time...

RichardL wrote:
I'm sure there will be a degree of pre-event planning for teams, as well as people finishing games with time to spare starting to think about the next round, so i don't think teams will necessarily go in cold each round with 15 mins to plan everything. Personally i'd be looking to get an idea from each person what points level they were happy playing with before the event.

I think the idea of 'lists on the fly' is an interesting one, although unless people have a lot of points available, having some set army lists for different points levels would probably make sense. I'd suggest people might want to use an app like armybuilder to get legal and accurate lists out if they're writing them then and there, although granted it can be a bit of a pain on a phone.

That's my hope and I'll probably add it as a recommendation.

RichardL wrote:
Oh, talking of teams are you planning on divvying up players between the two yourself?

Yes, unless other people want to contribute to it in a fair way. I was going to get a die and roll it a bit if needed. Obviously people who have asked for a specific team will go there if at all possible.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:35 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Are the tickets available yet? I tried the link and it didn’t seem to have an option to buy tickets.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:23 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Bellerophon wrote:
Are the tickets available yet? I tried the link and it didn’t seem to have an option to buy tickets.

There has been some delay and I have now set up paypal to cover it. Please send payments to:
events.dlast@gmail.com

When you do please leave a note on the payment to make it clear what it's for ;)

Thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:22 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi,

Finally paid for two tickets and added a note to the paypal transaction.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:09 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Bellerophon wrote:
Hi,

Finally paid for two tickets and added a note to the paypal transaction.

Fantastic! Do you and/or your second have any team preference?