Login |  Register |  FAQ

Ravenguard vs. Black Legion

Post subject: Ravenguard vs. Black Legion
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 11:09 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Another playtest of the Ravenguard. This time agains a Black Legion army with a Banelord... The BL list had two experimental changes: EUK stats on the Hellblades, and Cult Marines mixed in to one of the retinues (instead of add-on)

https://epicarms.blogspot.se/2018/05/ravenguard-vs-black-legion.html

Ravenguard is lots of fun to play and they fit my play style. The Scout formations in Land Speeder Storms are a real threat in assaults and has great threat range, great for clipping stuff. Assault Marines with land Speeder support also worked out well in this game. The small tactical formations feels fragile and it's hard to find a good BTS in this list, but that fits the list. To play an optimized Ravenguard list I probably should have included at least one air assault thou...

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Ravenguard vs. Black Legion
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 12:08 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Was an interesting game for sure. The Ravenguard list Argol took felt a lot closer to a "normal" space marine list, but obviously with a lot of fairly small formations and no air-assaults whatsoever. The BTS in particular was tiny, and seems very hard to protect. I liked the Assault Marines with the Land Speeders, that formation felt really interesting.

2 x Warhounds is kind of obvious when they're available, but they do give the list some much needed firepower. Would have prefered to see some other solution to that, but it's OK.

Would be interesting to meet a Ravenguard list using all the planetfall that the list can have. Maybe next time?

As for BL, I played a really experimental army this time around, trying out some stuff I don't normally take. The Predators are cool and fast, but their loadout is atrocious and they break real easy. The Cult Marine upgrade didn't really feel that it was worth it, you lose 4 Autocannons and basically get a bit more armour and fearless in return... For 50 points. But since everyone will take Thousand Sons anyway (Tzeench is still the way to go when playing BL) 50 points is probably warranted. I think that Plaguemarines ought to have autocannons, or at least heavy bolters.

The extra range on the Hellblades proved to be very useful in this fight, keeping them out of range of defensive AA on more than one occasion.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 8:50 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Interestign game.
Was this a playtest version of Black Legion

The reason I ask i that this formation isn't possible in the current BL netEA or UK lists. cult marines are + 4 units for + 150 pts.
Quote:
RETINUE [375] - 4 Chaos Space Marines, 4 Cult Marines, (Nurgle), Chaos Warlord (Supreme Commander)

Seem like a good thing though. Replacing is something I've used as well in lists I lead development on as it helps keep formation costs down. The usual upgrade makes the formation prohibitively expensive in BL.

Quote:
6-1 and only the two remaining fearless Plague Marines survive, including the Supreme Commander.

However letting the SC be in the cult marines is a very big boost as it's given fearless (and in the case of plague marines a better save). I know they can have a fearless SC already in the deamon prince, but that costs + 50 pts.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 12:44 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote:
Was this a playtest version of Black Legion

Yes, exactly.

Quote:
However letting the SC be in the cult marines is a very big boost as it's given fearless (and in the case of plague marines a better save). I know they can have a fearless SC already in the deamon prince, but that costs + 50 pts.

Kind of wished that I had bought a Daemon Prince instead actually, would have cost the same, made the supreme fearless and preserved the firepower of the formation. Getting Plague Marines into the retinue doesn't really feel like much of an upgrade since you lose the Autocannon and basically get fearless and some stat increases instead. The two cult marines that might be worth it are Thousand Sons and Noise Marines.