Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Wrath of the Tyrant IV - April 21st in Leicester

Post subject: Re: Wrath of the Tyrant IV - April 21st in Leicester
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:03 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Ok guys, I'm heading out to open up, see you all at 9am!

NetEA Red Corsairs Army Champion

My hobby/painting threads

Army Forge List Co-ordinator

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:46 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

This morning's first round games are going to be brutal! What a draw!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:09 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi,

Running a little late but should be there about 9:45

Mark

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:17 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Mark W wrote:
Hi,

Running a little late but should be there about 9:45

Mark

Just as long as you don't end up in Epping you will be fine!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:33 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Thanks for a well run event with a good group of people.

Game 1 vs Gunslinger's Death guard: luck was on my side at the start as my barrage critted the plague reaper, then the luck left as my deathwing thunderhawk was shot from the sky. Start of turn 2 the Death Guard terminators came in clean and won the initiative to smash my BTS. Damage control from that point as i was left without any strong activations, though the landing craft had some fun with mid table as an objective bridger. DG were unable to hunt down the last last stand of my BTS (hellblades tried to ground attacked it and all got shot down by nephlim cap), Ending 0–1 (blitz) to DG, winning draw to DG on points.

Game 2 vs Paul's codex marines: ground marines vs air marines is rarely in ground's favour and the the mishaps that had befallen me in game 1 were reversed in game 2. By the end of T1 most of the opposing force was dead, broken, or badly damaged with the exception of 1 scout formation, for the loss of a scout stand and some dev stands in return. T2 his terminators teleported in with 1BM, lost the roll off and were wiped out by my terminators in air assault (with tacticals in support forcing a bad counter charge direction). Paul conceded after a couple more decisive activations after and we knocked off for a drink with Steve and Duncan who'd also had a fast game.

Game 3 vs Mark's tripple thunderfire squats. Squats stayed in their flack bubble, and the marines stayed out of it. For three turns.
Drop missed everything (i tried to be tactical, terrible idea) but barrage did well. A brief glimmer of excitement in turn 2 when the cyclops BTS was reduced to 1DC after failing a lot of 4+RA … but it then saved all its macro saves and retreated out of harms way. Turn 3 was mostly just a squabble that got out of hand over 1 objective in a far corner between some scouts and berserkers. I shot the berserkers with nephs, air assaulted with an empty landing craft (lost), then with a full deathwing air assault … and lost that too. Turns out i'd been up on points before the last air assault, but losing it meant we ended on a dead draw.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:42 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Thanks to everyone for coming, I felt like there was a good atmosphere all day, and lots of folks having fun, a really easy event to referee, and a whole bunch of excellent armies on display

After the dust had settled, Steve Cole emerged victorious and took the title of Tyrant, with Steve54 a mere 2 points behind.

Thanks to the guys on the next two tables both fighting each other to a standstill, dptdexys hung on for a well deserved 3rd place ;)

the painting was of a very high standard, with six armies receiving votes, but as per usual Apoc picked up the player's choice for his inhumanly good Black Templars. The judges choice was exceptionally difficult, and I couldn't choose between Gunslinger007's awesome death guard and Cranium27's Desert Steel Legion. We were just about to decide matters with the local Leicester tradition of a bare knuckle car park fight when EpicUK very generously donated an additional painting prize so both players could take what they rightly deserved and avoid bloodshed

I hope Gunslinger007 found his visit enjoyable, everyone who played him said he was a true gent and really enjoyed their games, I'm totally stealing his heresy armour as plague marine idea too!

Reedar was his usual cheerful self and was nominated for most sporting by all 3 of his opponents, narrowly coming out ahead of his two compatriots Duncan and Nat who both received two votes, clearly something in the water cider down Brizzle way that makes everyone so ruddy nice

Finally, someone had to come last and that honour fell to Paul and his Ultramarines, but fear not, he has promised to try again with a different army in future!

The final scores were

1. Steve Cole
2. Steve54
3. dptdexys
4. Reedar
5. Apoc
6. MarkW
7. Tiny-tim
8. RichardL
9. Gunslinger007
10. MikeT
11. GlynG
12. Duncan
13. Rug
14. Russell Burton
15. Nat
16. Evil & Chaos
17. Cranium27
18. Paul Winter

I'm off to stand in the rain now, see you all at the London GT in 3 weeks time!

NetEA Red Corsairs Army Champion

My hobby/painting threads

Army Forge List Co-ordinator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:44 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Big thanks to Kyuss for organising and running WOTT.

My first visit to the event and thoroughly enjoyed it, despite the merciless trolling by Steve54 throughout the day about my Orky crutch...

Three great games against Russy_B, MikeT and stevekcole, although I’ll be glad not to see marine power armour again for a while!

I can’t make London, but will see you all in June at the ‘not-the-expo’ event

Cheers
Reedar

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post subject: Wrath of the Tyrant IV - April 21st in Leicester
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:44 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thanks to Kyuss for another flawlessly run event. Really like that venue and some great looking tables as well (whoever made all those new buildings and trees is clearly a hero ;-)). As always all 3 of my opponents were great sports and played really well. They all took some good dice on my part with real grace! Better lucky than good remains my tournie mantra!

This was the 3rd tournament run-out for my 1k sons who I’ve always found a bit disappointing. I’d managed two warm up games which were both draws (against Mark W’s Squats & a brilliant transatlantic chaos on chaos mid-board scrum match against Gunslinger’s Death Guard on Friday evening). So I wasn’t expecting much.

So, I was obviously more than a little worried about taking on RichardL’s necrons in round 1. I spent a long time choosing board side and deploying as mucking that up against necrons can easily cost you the game. I bunkered up on my right using the retinues to screen my more fragile defilers and warphounds. There was a nice hill for a good defiler fireline and woods and ruins to block some of Richard’s advances. My plan was pretty simple, smash the monoliths before they rolled my left flank. Turn 1 was pretty cagey, I managed to get one monolith formation broken (and I think reduced to 1 model) while Richard took out a warphound. However, I left retinues set up to engage 2 (I think) Monolith formations on turn 2. And teleported my terminators onto his blitz blocking the portal (this actually felt a bit egregious- I still prefer the old way of playing where you can engage out of the portal but have to base your opponent as long as you have enough move - seems like a serious nerf to necrons in particular).

Turn two went a bit bonkers (Richard had some poor armour saves). My retinues came in and smashed 2 monolith formations at the top of the turn. This meant Richard started turn 3 with only some wraiths on board and one unit of monoliths which teleported on to defend his blitz. In return my BTS was down to 1 terminator. Richard’s remaining monoliths were promptly wiped out by a cabal (who again blocked the blitz portal) when I went first. It was then just a matter of breaking the wraiths for 5-0. We were talking afterwards and it didn’t feel like Richard did much wrong, maybe slightly over committing on turn 1 but the game definitely turned (as games between two reinforced armies tend to do on my better armour saves).

Onto game 2 and Duncan’s all deathwing list. So 2 games without my opponent deploying a single unit on the board, I was starting to look at all those air assault marine lists as positively decadent with their two units of scouts on-board. This game was bizarre. Firstly, Duncan didn’t come on till turn 3 by which point I’d lost half my daemon pool due to rolling 1s for initiative every turn (in a game where initiative rolls didn’t matter). His termies promptly destroyed a retinue and a warphound before getting their heads kicked in by my retinue and termies counter assaulting. We went to turn 4 were I wandered a warphound onto his blitz and some defilers onto another objective for a 2-0. Reflecting on this, I reckon Duncan would have been better bringing on max 2 termie units each turn and destroying/breaking a couple of my units if he could stay out of counter assault range. It was tough match up for him, as I’d realised in the previous game that bunkered up 1k sons are hard for teleporting armies to shift. As our game was over quick we then had time for a very nice beer in the sun with Warmaster superstar Paul Winter and Apoc.

Game 3, top table. To make up for the non-deployments of previous games I faced off against Reedar’s ork hoard. As always against Reeedar, this was a really tight, really good game. We plinked each other a bit on turn 1 while both moving cautiously up the board. I was really worried Reedar would stick his big skorcha formations about 40cm from my retinues (out of my assault range) so he could assault and break them before they summon daemons. In the end he was more cautious taking the un-orky but sensible option of putting 2x16 skorcha formations on overwatch to guard his blitz against my termies. No chance of me putting my BTS into that. Turn 2, I won the initiative (having rolled a 5th consective 1 the previous turn) and having prepped with a warphound destroyed his supa stompa with a retinue, routing the BTS and reducing it to a single stompa which then got plinked by doomwings. Reedar came back strongly breaking some defilers and forcing my line back. Turn 3 swung pretty wildly, Reedar won initiative (I rolled a 1 killing even more daemons) breaking my BTS termies and reducing them to two models and then breaking a warphound leaving it on 1 wound. I counter assaulted catching his mid board unit of skorchas in close assault with screamers. The skorchas bizarrely tanked all their armour saves but then rolled snake eyes for combat resolution. My position was pretty strong on mid-board by this point and having BTS meant I had a good chance of picking up another win condition. The game turned on some bonkers armour saves by a warphound which broke a skorcha formation Reedar had engaged it with meaning there was no-way the Orks could deny me one of defend the flag, blitz, and TSNP. In the end I picked up defend the flag making it 2-0 to the 1k sons.

Turns out I edged out Steve54 by 2 points (after his spaceship, in typical fashion, seemed to have destroyed TinyTim’s entire army on table 2 - I think Kyuss has a pic?). Two tourny wins in a row for 1k sons (with Dan1314 picking up the other). I still feel the retinues are far more fragile than people realise but they are a blooming powerful army when they get into position (as Dan1314 keeps telling me). All in all, winning an event and potentially getting another of Dan1314’s crutches nerfed is very satisfying!

Gunslinger007 then got to experience the great British Rail system with an hour’s delay going back to London where we then went for much needed drinks and food. Was a proper hats off job to him for travelling so far and really hope we get another game in sometime in the future (Iceland seems about halfway for rematch?)

Last edited by StevekCole on Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:47 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Thanks to Kyuss for running a great event yesterday and organizing lunch. The venue had plenty of space and everyone was very friendly. Being a co-recipient of Judge's Best Painted was an unexpected surprise. All three games were a blast and thanks to everyone I played for helping to make it so.

I'd like to give an extra shout out and thanks to Stevekcole for helping me plan the trip, meeting up for a game at Dark Sphere on Friday, heading out for food and drinks, and being just an all around great guy for my stay.

I'm out to enjoy the lovely weather in London and thankfully escape the endless winter of the US northeast this year. Hopefully I'll get to make it back for more in the future!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Tau AC: viewforum.php?

Net EA Chair

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:08 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

i keep hearing about your army, GS. Love to see a glamour shot of it!

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list
-Help me make Whitescars not suck!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:08 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

jimmyzimms wrote:
i keep hearing about your army, GS. Love to see a glamour shot of it!
Can do jimmy! Needs a little touch up from the travel, but I'll try and get it posted later this week when I'm back stateside.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Tau AC: viewforum.php?

Net EA Chair

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:12 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Oh, a quick note on Portals since a number of things came up during the event. Could we get clarity on exactly how portals work in terms of movement please? Normally i've played them that a model using a portal is placed next to it and then moves (as dismounting a vehicle), however the on the day ruling in game 3 was that you move the front of the base from the portal exit.

It occurs to me though that this has some pretty big implications for consolidating after a combat through portals, in the sense that if the stand doesn't start in B2B with portal A it probably won't be able to get out of the other side (especially if basing has been done on anything but strip bases) of Portal B given it won't have sufficient movement to move to the portal and then move fully through it at the other end (i.e the back end wouldn't get through).

Next would be exactly where a portal is. In the case of the tomb complex, it's represented by an objective, but does it work like a monolith, where the entire model is a portal and is effectively measured from the model (or if based, i guess the base?) or given it's on your blitz, is the portal an abstract dot on your back board edge? Again does have implications on how easy it is to block the portal entrace, and exactly how far you can get from that point, and again for consolidation purposes given the small amount of movement involved, and how many stands would effectively be able to get through it.

Thinking of space elves, how does this work also with webways in the sense of a blitz webway compared to another objective? is the portal (for blocking purposes) an abstract dot on the back line, and does the same therefore apply with another objective (i.e. centre of base), or is it the full base if another objective? I.e. if you make a bigger objective base do you in effect make it harder for an opponent to block the portal?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:49 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

RichardL wrote:
Oh, a quick note on Portals since a number of things came up during the event. Could we get clarity on exactly how portals work in terms of movement please? Normally i've played them that a model using a portal is placed next to it and then moves (as dismounting a vehicle), however the on the day ruling in game 3 was that you move the front of the base from the portal exit.

It occurs to me though that this has some pretty big implications for consolidating after a combat through portals, in the sense that if the stand doesn't start in B2B with portal A it probably won't be able to get out of the other side (especially if basing has been done on anything but strip bases) of Portal B given it won't have sufficient movement to move to the portal and then move fully through it at the other end (i.e the back end wouldn't get through).

Next would be exactly where a portal is. In the case of the tomb complex, it's represented by an objective, but does it work like a monolith, where the entire model is a portal and is effectively measured from the model (or if based, i guess the base?) or given it's on your blitz, is the portal an abstract dot on your back board edge? Again does have implications on how easy it is to block the portal entrace, and exactly how far you can get from that point, and again for consolidation purposes given the small amount of movement involved, and how many stands would effectively be able to get through it.

From Epic-UK Necron army list, highlighted relevant parts
Quote:
PORTALS

Any formations in the army other than the Æonic Orb or the Abattoir may begin the game in reserve. Formations in reserve may enter play using their teleport ability, or via a portal using an action that allows movement. Measure the movement of any units in the formation using any point of the portal as the starting point.

Additionally, formations in the army may leave the board.Units in a formation that move into base contact with a portal may be placed into the reserves. Once in reserve units in a formation may either re-enter play immediately via another portal, provided they have movement available, or remain in reserve. If at the end of any move, a unit is out of formation it is destroyed (1.7.4).

Portals can only be used by armoured vehicles with the Walker ability, Infantry, or light vehicles. Each portal can be used only once per turn for either entering or exiting the battlefield, not for both

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6