Login |  Register |  FAQ

Necron playtest list for 2018

Post subject: Re: Necron playtest list for 2015
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:37 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Got another chance to use the UK version of the list. They are nearly identical with only a few small changes (LM, overlord, small point mods).

I must admit the 4+ inv in place of the Living metal chart is much cleaner. Would people be interested in seeing this adopted? Reports on how this plays at tournaments seems to have a bit of conflicting opinion. Would this also warrent a points drop for living metal units (certainly for WE)? I havent been able to get much input on how well the larger WE function with this rule. UK players I could really use some input.

Still haven't gotten any input on the Tomb spider AA idea.

Another idea that was proposed to me was a way to streamline portal activation to clean up keeping track of which portal was used and to create a drawback for portal use that would make the player have to think more.

Portals: Whenever a portal is used the formation containing the portal gains a blastmarker. Each portal can be used an unlimited number of times. Formations that pass through a portal on a formation that is broken gain a blastmarker.

Most times monoliths will activate before their portal is used to prep and or get into better position for support so it doesn't change the opening strategy too much. This does mean that the necron player can break their own formations containing portals. This can be good if they want to force a redeploy but it also means that they are less likely to participate in a supporting roll as they will break a lot quicker. This can be mitigated by taking larger formation sizes (obelisks) since portals have unlimited use this makes the base 2 obelisks/1 monolith formation a whole lot more viable. It's an interesting idea with a host of interesting strategic and list building ramifications. This would also make the Abattoir more scary and make the tomb complex more useful. Let me know what you think.

Personally I'm intrigued

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:57 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

I always like to keep things simple so would support a LM change.

Not sure about the portal BM idea, it would affect Warbarques as well which would not be a good idea. One other point is that in some games I've played my opponent has deliberately not broken my Monoliths so that they can not re-deploy if they rallied.

Oh & got a Sautekh game in which I need to post some thoughts. on that thread

NetEA Ork + Feral Ork + Speed Freak Champion

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:15 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Tiny-Tim wrote:
I always like to keep things simple so would support a LM change.

Not sure about the portal BM idea, it would affect Warbarques as well which would not be a good idea. One other point is that in some games I've played my opponent has deliberately not broken my Monoliths so that they can not re-deploy if they rallied.

Oh & got a Sautekh game in which I need to post some thoughts. on that thread

An LM change with no points reductions? Necrons in the NetEA tournaments generally perform middle of the pack, this is a significant reduction to LM potency. I have been having trouble trying to get feed back from UK Necron players about the their experiences using the different lists.

Yeah I've had a few of those also, it really becomes painful as your mobility disappears. Especially more portent when combined with the 4+inv LM on the UK list.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:21 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Going to 4+ Inv is not really simpler, it just changes a different, already existing special rule (Invulnerable instead of Reinforced Armour). Additionally it throws in wonky rule interactions. Stuff like Lance now doing nothing at all while Macro Weapon works at full effect.

edit: My suggestion for simple LM is and was a special 4+ save against Titan Killer attacks only, rolled against each point of damage.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:08 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Not sold on the unlimited portals idea, I think it has potential for players to think it's even more cheesy. For example deliberately breaking your own portals so you can move again. IMO it could make opponents feel like they can't counter them, since the only way to prevent an infinite number of formations coming through is to destroy every portal in the formation. Having potentially the whole army coming into the board through a single portal just doesn't seem right, and devalues what should be a viable tactic against necrons (ie shoot enough portals to trap the crons offboard in turn 3 after they phase out).

In any case, if it frees players up to choose obelisks instead of monoliths then the change is clearly "worth something" rather than being cost neutral. ie you can get away with fewer monoliths so can spend more points on other shooty stuff

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:29 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I think the unlimited portal use and blast markers could be a big problem with aircraft. They can go anywhere and unload an army's worth, and no one would care if they break as they then fly off and... what? Count as having 2 blast markers next time they try to activate?

The LM change to an invulnerable save seems a bit boring to me. It may be fine in practice, but just doesn't have the 'spark' I think the current system does.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:07 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Ok so please see first post on this thread for the updated changes being proposed to the approved list. This will bring harmonize the approved and Sautekh lists, which will be nice. It addresses the concerns about Living metal and broken portals. Also makes the Warengines a little more attractive at the same time addresses the issues with TK shots.

New PDF will be posted shortly.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:51 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The original thread? You mean original post in this thread, or a different thread?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:01 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

On this post. Haven't had the time to get the off done yet. Should be up before the end of the weekend.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:36 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Trialing an additional formation of just wraiths plus the play test changes tomorrow BatRep to come.

6 wraiths movement reduced to 15cm, gain infiltrate.
300 points

Post subject: Re: Necron playtest list for 2018
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:15 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Battle report Necrons vs Space Wolves

viewtopic.php?f=84&t=33163

The points reductions seemed ok.. I made a few small mistakes with teleport placements. had some crazy bad luck in turn 1 and 2. Wraith formation was extremely killy.

Played with the following stats:
300 points: 6 wraiths, movement reduced to 15, gain infiltrate, no upgrades.

Post subject: Re: Necron playtest list for 2018
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:40 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thanks for the report!

"You have a right to be offended" - Steve Hughes
"Your feelings are hurting my thoughts" - Aron Flam