Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Revitalizing the NetEA Community - a proposition for change.

Post subject: Re: Revitalizing the NetEA Community - a proposition for cha
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:08 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Sweden 5
US/Canada 4
UK 5
Australia 4

"You have a right to be offended" - Steve Hughes
"Your feelings are hurting my thoughts" - Aron Flam

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:18 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

mordoten wrote:

Can't really see how doing an effort to actually get some suggestions for several lists playtested within a dedicated group of active players would fracture NetEA?

From what I read earlier you are making a committee that replaces the ERC and proposes to make changes to lists outside of the ERC structure. The probable result would be another player split and another set of lists further fracturing things.

I wanted clarification on what you actually proposed rather than jump on you with what I assumed your goal was.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:27 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

We're TESTING another way of doing playtests and discussion for lists. We have stated several times that it's not an attempt to usurp the ERC.
If the experiment turns out good maybe it can be adopted by the ERC for future. If it's not we'll know that.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:05 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The NDC has now changed participation rules so each Country instead of each Area gets 5 seats on the council. This leads to the following groups:

Sweden 5
UK 5
Canada 2
USA 3
Australia 4

We're looking for experienced, active players that want to contribute to discussions and playtests with the aim of getting things done. To be a part of the NDC means taking an active part in the whole process. Apply if you meet theese criteria and want to be a part of the experiment.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:13 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

mordoten wrote:
We're looking for experienced, active players that want to contribute to discussions and playtests with the aim of getting things done. To be a part of the NDC means taking an active part in the whole process. Apply if you meet theese criteria and want to be a part of the experiment.

And some Germans and Danes! Some pretty interesting discussions going on right now.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:44 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

So the question then becomes why you cannot hold these conversations on Taccoms, possibly in some form of locked thread that only permitted people can use, which would allow the rest of the community to pick up the ideas and test them - - -

Wouldn’t that help keep the community together ?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:56 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Because that has been tried and doesn't seem to work that good. This is all I have to say on the matter.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:37 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Slack is a much better option for this kind of thing TBH. There's a reason why it took the workplace by storm a few years back.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:45 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The great nation of Scotland demands equal representation!!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:46 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Then maybe the Scots should answer their PM:s.... ;-)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:29 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

mordoten wrote:
Instead of having a very small group that calls all the shots and single AC:s handling every list we could do it in a more open, democratic and transparent way!

Ginger wrote:
So the question then becomes why you cannot hold these conversations on Taccoms, possibly in some form of locked thread that only permitted people can use, which would allow the rest of the community to pick up the ideas and test them - - -

Wouldn’t that help keep the community together ?

mordoten wrote:
Because that has been tried and doesn't seem to work that good. This is all I have to say on the matter.

Ah, so you're going the modern route of "democracy" then - everything is transparent and in the open, except when it isn't.

Well, I don't like this, and I'm going to form my own committee - the BAsement Dwelling Armageddon Supervisory Society (BADASS.) Anyone who wants to join me in an open discussion needs to find my contact info on one of fifty sub sections on an obscure message board and send me a request via dead drop at a location you'll have to decipher from the clues I've left in thirteen of my previous twenty-seven posts.

Please note that I'm doing this to unify everyone.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:44 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Theres shades of grey between 5 people and 5000 people being let in to vote. We advertized for interested people. Every country got 5 seats each (and still have since the invitation is still open). Thats alot more people invilved in the voting process than how it works currently.

MORE transparent and MORE democratic is not the same as TOTAL transparency and unlimited amounts of seats to vote. I belive we still need a quality over quantity approach to move things forward.

But you can't please everyone, especially not on internet forums. What have you done to help out lately?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:01 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

mordoten wrote:
Theres shades of grey between 5 people and 5000 people being let in to vote. We advertized for interested people. Every country got 5 seats each (and still have since the invitation is still open). Thats alot more people invilved in the voting process than how it works currently.

MORE transparent and MORE democratic is not the same as TOTAL transparency and unlimited amounts of seats to vote. I belive we still need a quality over quantity approach to move things forward.

But you can't please everyone, especially not on internet forums. What have you done to help out lately?

More people is not necessarily the answer - I work in a local government and have seen what adding more people to the mix does, and it doesn't offer the benefit you think it does. Jimmyzimms' camel comment is spot on.

To answer your question on my contributions, I'll be honest and say "absolutely nothing." I barely have the time to get out an play once a month, let alone contribute a list or playtest anything. But I also recognize the need for proper playtesting and vetting.

I appreciate that you want to get things moving and want to unify the community and I'm all for that. Unfortunately, I think that splintering off into yet another group isn't going to help resolve the current issues with the process. Adding another cog to a broken system isn't going to fix that system.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:44 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Ok. But i'm willing to atleast try it once out before writing it off. Doing absolutly nothing about a situation is in my book way worse than trying out a potentially flawed design. If it is flawed we can write it off for future initiatives. If it's good we can implement it as a way off keeping it NetEA moving forward.

Actually trying out new stuff is way better than being stuck in analysis-paralysis, theoretical arguments and posting condesending posts on forums.

And for your info 3 out of 5 of the ERC-board members are involved in this project so it's not like it's a rouge operation (which i've stated about a houndred times already).

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:01 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Yeah it's not going to harm anything more to try it out. Hopefully we see some interesting batreps get posted by yall and there's some new approved lists that happen.

Semi-Worse case nothing happens as inertia pops out which would be unfortunate but as mordoten states, at least it was tried.

Absolute worse case is that all the energy is squandered on everyone squabbling over existing core lists because everyone has their own pet peeve about what they like/dislike and 'knows what's right' to the exclusion of others (how design by committee tends to go without clear objectives). I'd hope that initial focus would be on some right there almost good to go lists as a quick win (OGBM comes to mind considering your excellent hard work on it) and not say, hypothetically, burning Ghaz or Codex Marines to the ground to be rebuilt in some faction's (headspace) image.

We shall see...

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list
-Help me make Whitescars not suck!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next