Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 462 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 31  Next

Grudd Thread

Post subject: Re: Grudd Thread
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:05 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hey guys, I'm late to the Grudd party so I apologize if this has already been asked in the last 20 pages. is the similarity to the sisterhood vehicle design aesthetic intentional?

-Gunz

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:09 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

mordoten wrote:
It'sa friggin sci-fi armoured land train with shitloads of guns, who cares how it turns?! Realism is hardly interesting when it comes to theese models i think. They need to look good and have lots of guns.

I didn't pick up on it before but I'd prefer it to look like it could realistically turn too and I agree with raising the door a little too. Both should be fairly easy tweaks and if it bothers some then why not improve it?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:24 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Alright - BIG makeover here.

First, I made it WAY bigger - it's now on a 60x40mm base. (The cars will still be on a 20x20) This makes it easily my biggest model so far.

I also took a bunch of your suggestions, but left others out for artistic design reasons (I always have to strike a good balance between coolness and realism - otherwise MOST miniature designs would end up rather boring or not exist at all). I think this is a step in the right direction based on what I have heard. Thoughts?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:52 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

How that looks like one mega train you don't want to mess with. It would be neat if there is some kind of attachment for the train with the smaller vehicle to double as a car.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:28 am 
Purestrain
Purestrain

I love it!

Especially all the extra slits - gives it a sense of scale as a big mother :D

Armyforge

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:25 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi Deacon
It's really looking good.
If you are using a 40x60 base now. How wide is this model? Is it around 20mm to 22mm?
Could you do a mock up of the hull being 30mm wide with the turrets and main gun being the same size as current.

How about if you had 2 sets of the drill bits from the Borr Ast side by side on the front ram or the blade from the Balder?
Since this was a mining vehicle I assume used to pull large quantities of ore would they use the drills to clear a path in case of rubble blocking the roads?

How about extra MG turrets they do not have much frontal zone coverage could you fit one on top of the drivers section under the main gun? Or on top of the main gun box? How about between the wheels or by the door.
The headlights could be put near the wheels instead.

Very awesome though.
Cheers
Attachment:
image1.jpeg
image1.jpeg [ 731 KiB | Viewed 4077 times ]

One thing I don't like now is the smokestack with all the troops with jetpacks all they would have to do is drop a grenade down it and it's over.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:26 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hey all - new update, and I think the big edits are more or less done with.

Lots of little tweaks, but the main change was the addition of additional small turrets, and the removal of the entry door on the side, which will be moved to the rear instead. I like the way this looks - getting near this thing would be extremely risky...

@ Squat Warlord - I appreciate all the suggestions! The last round largely didn't take, simply because they diluted the "this is a train" feel. The addition of drills, widening the body, removal of the smoke stack, etc all fundamentally changed the overall train "vibe" and thus we're not added to the design.

Let me know your thoughts - but otherwise, on to the cars!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:27 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi a Deacon
It looks very nasty now cheers.
When you cast this if all of the turrets, smokestack and main gun are cast separately then you can customize it a bit.
If you cast the main body in either half down the middle that would give you some room to angle the main gun to your liking as well.
Another way is to have an upper and lower . The upper being all of the guns and main turret. The lower the hull wheels and tracks. Why do this well maybe you could use it to create another type of war engine using the same wheel/track base
Cheers

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:55 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I prefer having the door on the previous version to the extra turrets personally. It seemed more realistic and the newer version just looks like it's trying too hard with excessive guns.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:55 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi!

Fine model!

Not my cup of tea aesthetically, but a solid design nonetheless. :)

Primarch

The Primarchload
Magnetized Titans Tutorial
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:41 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

My concern with moving the door is that there will be cars behind it. Will crew be able to board/disembark from the engine without uncoupling the cars? I think I would put the side door back, but put it in the rearmost turret’s position. That would reinforce the train aesthetic even more, I would think.

Once Upon a Midnight Dreary....

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:54 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

It can't go back there, because it would lead into one of the shield generators... The original door position was also problematic because climbing the ladder would be like scaling an inverted rock climb wall. I experimented with a bolted on ladder and it just looked silly.

Let's see how it looks with the cars attached.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:34 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Attachment:
IMG_4736.JPG
IMG_4736.JPG [ 126.76 KiB | Viewed 3902 times ]

I thought the side door was ok . I just wanted a drivers mg turret mostly
Cheers

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:24 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Fair point about the ladder being awkward to scale but I still think it looks better. Also they could deliberately design it awkward to scale? There'd probably be a technique to it and the crew would be used to it with practice but random assaulters would be slowed down slightly.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:04 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

deacon wrote:
It can't go back there, because it would lead into one of the shield generators... The original door position was also problematic because climbing the ladder would be like scaling an inverted rock climb wall. .

Well it looked like a ladder and the design looked balanced for a huge armoured train engine. I could tell that it was the main egress into the vehicle. It never crossed my mind on how hard it would be to climb it. Perhaps you are over thinking it?
Cheers

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 462 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 31  Next