Login |  Register |  FAQ

The Beast(scenario)

Post subject: The Beast(scenario)
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:58 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi ALL

Well Tuesday again and another scenario, done by someone else….This time we did a test run beast, which will appear future supplement….

Link to AAR…
http://pfe100.blogspot.com.au/2016/10/t ... nario.html

Not against change, so long as it done fairly and no one is left behind....

I'm human and not a !@#$%^# Robot..

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: The Beast(scenario)
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:05 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I LOVE this scenario - this is how I would have preferred Tyranids to work, with a stream of reinforcements arriving from off-table via the objectives/nests in the Tyranid table half . . .

Possible tweaks to this scenario:-
  • Perhaps the Orks could be limited to a force that is 50%-100% higher than the PDF force? Having 'unlimited' reinforcements seems a bit unreasonable.
  • Perhaps the Orks should use a ROK per 1500 points of troops? This would then allow several entry points and obviously allows more flexibility over the size of forces available to both sides.
  • I suggest the Ork ROKs should be represented by a Blitz style marker, being the source of the Ork reinforcements. Formations must move out from these points. Possibly the PDF could gain a point for capturing each ROK entry point?
  • I agree that the limit of Orks exiting each ROK should be raised; perhaps 300-400 per ROK, giving a total limit of the reinforcements. The combined value of formations arriving must be less than or equal this total though individual formations may exceed the reinforcement value of a single ROK. this approach allows a Gargant to be deployed from one of several ROKs on the table, depending on the reinforcement total per ROK.
  • I wonder whether the placement of the Defense silos should also regulated to some extent, with some being placed in the table half nearer the Orks?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:51 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thanks for reading Ginger..

I like some of those ideas..

I think the last one really needs to be looked at..because if the orks don't get crushing victory in the scenario before hand there's no free landa and so will be finding it hard to get to them...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:50 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I like the idea of the scenario

One problem I've had in similar situations though was with the old 'without number' ability that 40k Tyranids used to be able to get (I don't know if it's still a thing)- basically, units could be infinitely recycled in a similar way. The issue I encountered was that numbers alone meant nothing- my opponents could reliably destroy any Tyranid that made it within 12" of his line, forcing it to start the long foot-slog again (boring for me). The damage Tyranids could do at range was laughable. From my opponent's view, the game was equally dull as he knew he could do nothing other than maintain his gunline- any attempt to advance on me would have been suicidal.

Coming from multiple sides may help, but I think the best thing would have been if your opponent used his landers- that would have gone a long way to breaking the lines. Also, it would have helped if the Orks had more ranged weapons- any way to leave a permanent mark (not just a blast marker) before his units run face-first into the wall of death.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:51 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Have to respect you for doing so many Battle Reports. It is something very time consuming that slows down the game. Even if a third person does it it quite obstructs the game flow.

About this. Looks good! It looks like there was time behind this to plan. That kind of scenarios are usually the ones we end up craving for but are hard to balance.

I also designed a scenario similar to this one years ago:
- The attacker entered through two opposite sides of the map and the defender was confined in the center.
- The attacker got 1500 points +500 per turn and the defender 3000 points
- Two objectives with similar rules to the ones you used, put in cover.
- Gave free reign on army building.
- It was Ghazkull Orks attacking Biel-Tan

But the same happened as Geep told: the defender could kill or break the forces as they approached, even more because he had air superiority (1 each of Nightwings and Fenix) due to having all forces at start and even went on the attack on the second turn, which was made even worse because Orks had to divide their already lower numbers, so the tides didn't began to turn till the fourth turn, and we gave up on ending it and counted the points there. Same as what happened in your case, PFE200.

The next time we began with 2:3 of the forces and 1:1 starting forces and it went better. After the tests we ended up at 3:4.

On the battle report itself: Could you make things a bit smaller? Both letters and photos are huge, so i get lost and can barely see a thing. Good Opera has an option for zooming out, but it is a sub-par solution. Photos can be huge, but only if the viewer decides to by opening them, like in this forum. 640x480 for preview pictures is enough to see whats inside.
Also, it would be good to change the font's color for the text inside the photos or add a layer of another color outside the letter. White and black as is in the subtitles in DvDs would work very well and most text editors have this option. Sometimes is hard to see.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:37 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

thanks for reading..

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:44 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Ahhh got some good stuff in here and some cross talk (most of the scenario discussion is actually happening in the Mechanicum dev thread as this scenario is specifically for that war and at the dictates of the plot). A few good points that have come to light in the other thread are:

-Orks get reinforcements IMMEDIATELY at T1, not after which makes a big difference
-The free landers are designed to be used and the only way the Ork player would not get them would be losing EVERYTHING in the prior BFG game. Adding in the assumed starting point when not played as part of campaign (aka default) need to spelled out.
-The actual reinforcements allowed are NOT limited to the initial forces listed in the table, jsut to the list. That's due to piss poor wording on my part.
-The Silo positions need working out as the imperial player can place them on the far end of the table and force the slog. Perhaps it's best then that they're placed and then the ork player determines the side to play from?

in the next version ^those^ redactions will be spelled out better and also we're looking at turning the game into the ork player gaining progressively more points per turn (similar to Gears of War horde mode). In addition, some type of periodic orbital bombardment mechanic is likely to appear.

keep up the great ffeedbalk folks and I hope to see another refight some point PFE!

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list
-Help me make Whitescars not suck!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:03 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

That may be another couple of weeks..I would like to give one of chroma scenarios a go next week and then week after that....no scenario this week..Tonight was a no go..

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:59 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

PFE the scenario has been revamped with this feedback

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list
-Help me make Whitescars not suck!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:20 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

That's a great looking battle! Nice setup and nice report.

The mission also sounds interesting, but even more so with the changes jimmyzimms mentions. I'll have to check it out when you all decide it's ready for release.