Login |  Register |  FAQ

(Fanlist) Praetorian Guard Army List

Post subject: (Fanlist) Praetorian Guard Army List
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:56 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hey guys I just wanted to throw this out there and see what you guys think. I'm thinking along the theme of a relatvely low-tech Guard army based on the Praetorian Guard.

What little fluff there is for the regiment seems to indicate that its doctrines focus on infantry but that said infantry is equally capable in both attack and defence. Praetoria is mentioned as a hive world but it's produce isn't arms or war materials so I'm thinking that they wouldn't have the locally-produced snazzy kit of the Steel Legion like Manticores, Vultures and such. It's PDF's arms and equipment would be sourced from nearby planets at the lowest possible price as I'm guessing the rulers of Praetoria didn't get so awfully rich by spending a lot of money on their military.

So it's a Guard army focused on infantry without a doctrine to dig in and fight a grind battle like the Baran and without the Super Heavy and Tank Companies that, to me, put the "Steel" in Steel Legion. Some of the fluff does mention their Armoured Fist units so I've kept in the option of mechanizing companies. Their kit is functional but relatively basic.

I've put in a slight points break on their Basilisks because they can't take Manticores or Bombards and a slight reduction in the cost of the Infantry Platoon upgrade. My intention when mechanizing the Reg HQ company is that you can either mechanize the basic 13 stand Company with 7 Chimeras as normal OR take the Infantry Platoon and/or Fire Support in which case the company can't be given transports. How to word that neatly in a list whilst maintaining the other upgrade options is proving a challenge though.

They do have SHT and Tank Platoons in the Support section though with Stormswords an option for some close-in infantry support.

As an aside, what would you cost an Artllery Battery of 9 Basilisks with no option of swaps for Manticores or Bomabrds?

Anyway here goes let me know what you guys think

2 support for each Company taken

Companies

Regimental HQ Company(1 Sup Commander and 12 Infantry) 350
....may be given 7 Chimeras at +150 (may not take Inantry or Fire Support Platoons if taken)
Infantry Company (1 Commander and 12 Infantry) 250
Mech Infantry Company (1 Commander, 12 Infantry and 7 Chimeras) 400 (may not take Infantry or Fire Support Platoon)

Upgrades

Infantry Platoon (6 Infantry) +75
Fire Support Platoon (4 Fire Support) +100
Flak Section (1 Hydra) +50
Leman Russ Platoon (3 Leman Russ or Leman Russ Demolishers) +175
Griffon Battery (3 Griffons) +50
Sniper Section (2 Snipers) +50
Hellhound Platoon (3 Hellhounds) +100

Support

Tank Platoon (6 Leman Russ) 400
Artillery Battery (3 Basilisks) 225
Rough Rider Platoon (6 Rough Riders) 150
Sentinel Squadron (4 Sentinels) 100
Flak Battery (3 Hydras) 150
Super Heavy Tank Platoon (1 of either Baneblade, Stormsword or Shadowsword) 200
Deathsrike Battery (2 Deathstrikes) 200
Storm Trooper Platoon (8 Storm Troopers) 200
....may be given 4 Chimeras at +100 (lose Scout)

Navy and Titan Support (no more than 33%)

1 Warhound Titan (standard configuration) 275
Warhound Titan Pack (2 standard configuration Warhounds) 500
Reaver Titan (standard configuration) 650
Warlord Titan (standard configuration) 850
2 Thunderbolts 150
2 Marauder Bombers 250

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: (Fanlist) Praetorian Guard Army List
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:50 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

But they get supplied by the Munitorium, Praetoria supply the Men, Forge worlds equip them to Munitorium Standards. List looks good as a low tech Planetary Defence Force though or a Guard Regiment on a feudal tech world on Garrison duty?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:00 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I always thought that equipment at the "regimental" level was supplied by the homewold as long as it came up to a rough standard? I thought that's why for example Kreig are so different to Steel Legion?

I thought the Munitorium was more for providing the heavy "brigade/divisional" assets that the home world couldn't?

Yeah "low tech" Guard is what I'm after but BSM are too broken unfortunately so I thought I'd try something else.

Thanks for checking it out dude. I know its not much different from Steel Legion but I thought that may make it a bit more palatable for my opponent

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:26 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

flyingthruwater wrote:
I always thought that equipment at the "regimental" level was supplied by the homewold as long as it came up to a rough standard? I thought that's why for example Kreig are so different to Steel Legion?

I thought the Munitorium was more for providing the heavy "brigade/divisional" assets that the home world couldn't?

Yeah "low tech" Guard is what I'm after but BSM are too broken unfortunately so I thought I'd try something else.

Thanks for checking it out dude. I know its not much different from Steel Legion but I thought that may make it a bit more palatable for my opponent

Krieg is a Forgeworld, so would get its own pattern of vehicles, but I like the low tech appeal, I think there is a PDF list somewhere, like the old genestealer cult IG assets

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:31 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Krieg is not a FW but that's not the point here. flyingthruwater, can you, in a sentence or two, sum up the theme of this list and why? An elevator spiel or mission statement basically...

Edit: junkstar, your new Avatar is AWESOME :)

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list
-Help me make Whitescars not suck!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:02 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

jimmyzimms wrote:
Krieg is not a FW but that's not the point here. flyingthruwater, can you, in a sentence or two, sum up the theme of this list and why? An elevator spiel or mission statement basically...

Edit: junkstar, your new Avatar is AWESOME :)

I know that Krieg is a deathworld but the forge part is now underground with birthing chambers etc....

Thx I may get the t shirt for the next EEC.

It might be a list worthy of Garrison themed bunkers or aquila defence lines. A Regt thats been without resup due to warpstorms using local tech to replenish maybe?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:36 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

that's still not what makes a FW a FW (they're not a private domain of the Ad Mech). But let's not go further off topic.

I can dig that idea of defense lines but that's pretty much just turning this into DKoK on Defense (aka BSM) which we already have.

Unless I am misreading the OP, you basically can do that list on SL already. I think there's more of a army level theme and rule(s) needed to make them distinct enough to exist.

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list
-Help me make Whitescars not suck!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:44 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Its more of a 2nd end. 40k style Guard force.

The Steel Legion are a bit too "flashy" for me with all their high-end equipment like Manticores and Valkyries but it feels like I'm handicapping myself by not taking them due to the pricing structure. I feel that the pricing in the Steel Legion list for formations that offer a choice between units for a set cost (e.g. Artillery Battery, SHT Platoon) are priced for the most effective of the choices.

For example the Artillery Battery at 250 points for 3 manticores/bombards/basilisks. I feel that 250 is about right for the manticores but is too much for the (to me) more iconic basilisks. So I though that by limiting such options then the true cost of the cheaper choices could be found. I have taken "babysteps" in reducing some of the pricing with that in mind.

As an aside I tried running aggressive BSM without fortifications but I'm finding them a wee bit too powerful for casual games so tried to tone it down a but based on the SL list