Login |  Register |  FAQ

NetEA Steel Legion - proposed update

Post subject: Re: NetEA Steel Legion - proposed update
PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:46 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Yeah sorry for going off topic

I'll be happy to try out some of those upgrades and consider me a +1 for looking at the longer term updates

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:07 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

ffoley wrote:
Is a mini update with those changes going to get accepted so easily? Steve54, Onyx, Kyuss and Largo were quite opposed previously.

Many of the updates are just lifted from the EUK list or are the next step where it appears the EUK changes haven't gone quite far enough.

We've been testing the Baneblade changes for a few weeks.

Some of the proposals were tested last time.

I'm not putting it forward for another month or so.

That said please please take every opportunity to include the updates in your games. A poll to show consensus (if we have it!) is also a great idea, I'll set that up once I've reminded myself how!

Post subject: Re: AW: NetEA Steel Legion - proposed update
PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:56 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Point Changes are fine, except the Emperor. I am still against that change. Well, I think point costs should be identical in EpicUK and Net EA, especially with such an old list.
I was very much against fiddling with the artillery's speed, which seems to be out, at least for now.
Very unsure about the Baneblade, Tests will show.
Chimaeras on Storm Troopers is very much a "Dont Care" for me as they still eat up a support slot and are too expensive concidering their role. Which means I would still not field them.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:07 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

I don't recall any proposals to change the speed of artillery? Points yes, armour yes.....

The Emperor is 300pts in NetEA and not used, 200pts in EUK and not used, 150pts is the next logical step and as low as we can go. I'm still of the view Slow & Steady needs to be changed but the ERC bit the Champions have to work with what they've got for the time being.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:50 am 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Proposed changes look in the right direction to me and long due, good move :)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:20 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Yep fine for me

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:17 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Yup, happy with all this. Just to flag I think storm troopers are fine as they are. The main reason people don't take them is that steel legion have good core units which do similar things plus single warhounds and 2 solid speed bump scout options. So more about the quality and synergy of the other units than troopers per se. They're regulars in vanaheim and I'd love it if Krieg could take them! Ok, I'll stop redirecting the thread. Top line, all these changes are good for me.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:29 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I played a game a few days ago taking the following:

Reg HQ w/ Hydra
Mech Inf w/ Russes
Mech Inf w/ Russes
Storm Troopers w/ Chimera
2 x Rough Riders
2 x Hydra Batteries
Shadowsword
2 x TBolts

The russes were nice to put some 75cm shots into stuff and their armour helped in one assault by tanking the first 3 hits. The Storm Troopers managed to prise a Krieg leg company out of some ruins (with the help of a Mech Como) and a Mech managed to kill 10 stands out of 20 of another leg company they caught in the open at short range on an advance (lucky Strategy win turn 2).

Overall nothing seemed OTT to either of us

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:17 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

I'm going to start making moves to find out in no uncertain terms exactly what hoops we need to jump through for all the changes discussed to get them approved and put together a schedule/list we can all work towards ticking off.... i.e three games from different groups with this, another three with that, this combination etc....

Reading back through the points the comments on Valkyries and something that Blip said is really standing out to me now....

The Chimeras aren't a great option, they're not bad but they're mainly a fluff addition. Valkaries are great for 150pts but the whole formation is too expensive as a support choice. I think there is a strong case for the bare Storm Trooper formation to be cheaper as Blip proposed.

Another option would be having Storm Troopers as a 0-1 core option and removing them from support entirely would be interesting, they'd see more use but the barrage would be limited to one formation, if not in Valkaries they could have access to Chimeras and the other upgrades which would offer a new range of possibilities. They might be an auto include though after a Reg HQ?

TBH I'd rather look at Storm Troopers in greater detail later, but I'm quite excited by the possibilities.

I appreciate that having asked people who talked about Storm Trooopers to stay on topic I've gone and posted about them ... but I've been quiet a while so hey. If it gets interest I'll lift all the Storm Trooper comments in to a new thread.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:02 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

UPDATE:

Talked to Tim and Steve yesterday face to face at the London tournament. The Guard updates are held up in the review and approval queue behind Skitarii which are the main focus at the moment and being hotly debated.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:43 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Good to know. Thanks for the update.

RugII wrote:
Another option would be having Storm Troopers as a 0-1 core option and removing them from support entirely would be interesting, they'd see more use but the barrage would be limited to one formation, if not in Valkaries they could have access to Chimeras and the other upgrades which would offer a new range of possibilities. They might be an auto include though after a Reg HQ?

Probably they will end up the same as in Cadia where they are taken just as a cheaper way to get more support. Would be OK if they were to be on core only if they go with vehicles.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:43 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Just popped in as I've been out of Epic/Taccoms for a while. Good to hear there might be an update (at least in the UK).

Regarding the Storm Troopers. Hope there is some reduction on the "bare infantry" cost as it would make for a nice 3rd scout option - teams of infiltrating commandos clearing the way and holding ground while they wait for the for the grunts sounds fluffy and a nice option vs the super brittle sentinels or ambush focused rough riders.

However scout would be the reason not to make them core imho - spammed ST formations denying board space and unlocking lots of strong support formations sounds potentially OP and not like steel legion.

If they did become core then as Abetillo suggests, they should probably have mandatory chimeras with a cost to upgrade to Valkyries, both to up their cost and stop garrison. But this does sound like stepping on the toes of the more elite themed Cadia list.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:02 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Personally I love Storm Troopers with Valkyries, and I also think the Chimera option is ace, having played it a couple of times now.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:23 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Same as Blip i also hope to see a 25 points reduction on Stormtroopers and an increase of 25 on Valkyries. With the cost of core formations on Steel Legion that is not going to be a problem like in Cadia's Kasrkin.

If after the change it is still not enough we can consider again the 0-1 core like you proposed, Rug.