Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 242 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next

Strippers!!!!

Post subject: Re: Strippers!!!!
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 7:00 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Nitpick wrote:
Ouch.

Bugger that sounds like it is a lost course then ! may try some old brake fluid, cant really loose as it already seems a total loss so anything is worth a shot. ::)

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:22 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

okay, I think I have found the heir to fairy power spray....

there is a product called 'clean spirit'produced by bartoline available in wilkinsons (UK) I was first made aware of it by Commander Sims on his youtube channel, I picked up a litre of the stuff for less than £2 and tested it on a few models, if you don't have an ultrasonic cleaner (and I don't) it will take a good 24-48 hours soaking but the paint just falls off, it's not harsh smelling and doesn't cause burns on the fingers, doesn't require the 'double dip' method of dettol, and it doesn't melt plastic or resin models, after soaking some FW resin for nearly 2 weeks I've seen no discolouration or softening whatsoever.

It does cause some darkening on metals, so beware if you're stripping them to sell on ebay or whatever, but that was after soaking them for over 2 weeks. It also seems to work more effectively when warmed up, so standing it on top of the tumble dryer or radiator when soaking will speed things up

worryingly the website is currently down, hopefully just a glitch, but I'll be stocking up next time I visit wilkos!

NetEA Red Corsairs Army Champion

My hobby/painting threads

Army Forge List Co-ordinator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 1:14 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thanks Kyuss, good intel

Personal & Wargaming Blog: http://www.theancienttrack.blogspot.co.uk

EPIC WIP: Grey Knights, Space Wolves, Eldar

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:17 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

kyussinchains wrote:
okay, I think I have found the heir to fairy power spray....

there is a product called 'clean spirit'produced by bartoline available in wilkinsons (UK) I was first made aware of it by Commander Sims on his youtube channel, I picked up a litre of the stuff for less than £2 and tested it on a few models, if you don't have an ultrasonic cleaner (and I don't) it will take a good 24-48 hours soaking but the paint just falls off, it's not harsh smelling and doesn't cause burns on the fingers, doesn't require the 'double dip' method of dettol, and it doesn't melt plastic or resin models, after soaking some FW resin for nearly 2 weeks I've seen no discolouration or softening whatsoever.

Picked up 2ltrs of this earlier today. I'll give it a go in the next couple of weeks. Thanks for the heads up.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:23 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I live in Poland, so magic stirppers arent availabel for me ;_;
It means I needed to find something here in Poland and I have seen many people recommending DOT-3 (brake fluid) so I bought it. It does its job pretty nice. My figures have been bathing for about 20h and paint came relatively easily using teeth brush. Unfortunately there were some places where there was very thick paint layer and I needed to use a needle to take out paint. Luckily most of my figs are tough and I can really brush the heck out of paint ;)
I am keeping one marine stand as a test subject, so we will see if DOT-3 reacts with plastic. Luckily I havent seen any deformations yet so I hope nothing will happen.

Flickr|Flickr#2|Brickshefl
"There ain't no thing as enuff dakka! Enuff's more than you got, an' less than too much, an' there's no such thing as too much dakka!"

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:39 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I'm still using fairy power spray. They sell it in sainsburys (for UK residents).

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:43 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

the fairy power spray you can get these days is terrible.... it pretty much doesn't work in my experience, if it says 'low viscosity formula' then it is next to useless

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:39 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I'm still using original dettol. I found that none of the cheaper supermarket imitations of it worked. I will buy some of the stuff Kyuss suggested if I see it though so thanks for the tip. I have used the brake fluid stuff successfully but it's nasty stuff compared to dettol.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:15 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

kyussinchains wrote:
...clean spirit...

I gave this a try recently and would definitely second the recommendation. It's as effective as anything else I've used without being smelly or unpleasant. Great stuff.

As a bonus, I found it very effective at washing a paint spillage out of the carpet, too.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:39 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Well tried a batch of ones I just got in simple green to limited effect (Is there a good way to get 'infantry' sized mini's clean?)

Some maybe I'll try the breakfluid method? is it more effective than simple green?

Someone also suggested I invest in an ultrasonic bath.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:49 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Clean spirit in an ultrasonic cleaner is basically space magic... I stripped a bunch of old plastic marines in the stuff, soaked in clean spirit overnight, then two 8-minute cycles in clean spirit in an ultrasonic bath, they came out looking fresh off the sprue :)

I would not recommend putting brake fluid in an ultrasonic bath though.... May well release nasty fumes

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:19 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Which ultrasonic cleaner did you go with? I bought one on eBay to try but I think I may have gone in too cheap? I'm guessing you get what you pay for...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:20 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Alf O'Mega wrote:
Which ultrasonic cleaner did you go with? I bought one on eBay to try but I think I may have gone in too cheap? I'm guessing you get what you pay for...

Also interested in ultrasonic cleaner recommendations. Too much Man O'War, Epic and now Warmaster to get done. I think I need the speed of sound to assist my efforts.

I see lots of people recommending them, but haven't found much by way of detail. Are they broadly the same, are any brands better/have better baskets/settings/etc.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:57 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi All,

Read this thread this morning - bought some Clean Spirit from Wilkos at lunch, got home at 6 and popped some 28s that I've had in acetone on and off for months in, just given them a toothbrush scrub and they're 90% clean, I'll leave them now until the weekend and they'll be perfect - cheers for the recommendation!

They even strip gesso, which I've found can be an absolute nightmare in the past.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:47 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Second ultrasonic cleaner and clean spirit. Got a second hand one today very cheap to try. Soaked minis in clean spirit over night then in the cleaner for a few cycles with clean spirit. The odd Mini needed 3-4 scrubs with a toothbrush in a few wee cracks and stubborn bits but that would be maybe 1 in 10 minis.

Few words of advice. 1) degas your fluid first. 2) the cleaner I got heats as it goes. They don’t all do this but it works best with warm fluid 3) if it is one of the cleaners that heats then watch out for what you use as a cleaner incase it’s flammable or reacts to heat.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 242 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next