Login |  Register |  FAQ

Rule sets

Post subject: Rule sets
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 9:25 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I have been reading the different rule sets (Net Epic, Net Epic Armageddon, and Epic 40k) and collecting epic models for several years. I have come to a conclusion, I like all 3 sets of rules. Each set has it's own merits and strengths.

I do like Netepic just a bit more though, I think it's all the different units and their assorted options.

I just thought I would ask if other people like all the rules sets, even if they do have a favorite. Or, do people feel like 1 set is much better than the others and is the only rules they would ever use?

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Rule sets
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 1:37 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Morholt wrote:
I have been reading the different rule sets (Net Epic, Net Epic Armageddon, and Epic 40k) and collecting epic models for several years. I have come to a conclusion, I like all 3 sets of rules. Each set has it's own merits and strengths.

I do like Netepic just a bit more though, I think it's all the different units and their assorted options.

I just thought I would ask if other people like all the rules sets, even if they do have a favorite. Or, do people feel like 1 set is much better than the others and is the only rules they would ever use?

Hi!

You'll get as many varied responses as players. ;)

Its all a matter of preference at this point since GW doesn't actively support any rule set. Everything is fan support at this point.

The only real answer is to pick one you like and go with it. There is no real "better" in this regard. :)

Primarch

The Primarchload
Magnetized Titans Tutorial
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 1:39 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

They all have their merits. What's awesome is we can play 3 (4 really) games with a single collection of models. That's plain rad.

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list
-Help me make Whitescars not suck!

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 10:32 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

My personal fav is Armageddon but basically it is who locally is playing which rules and going with that :-)

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 7:31 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Admittedly I never actually managed to get my hands on any of the epic editions in physical form, nor have I had any opportunities to play with anyone. But for years I've been a fan of Space Marine and always enjoyed the battle reports and dreamed of having the miniatures.

Epic 40k came around and it hit me with mixed emotions, after reading how the rules for things like making your own detachments, blast markers to track breaking points ... but like many balked at the vast stripping of detail to the units and game-play.

Since than, off and on (and never really to any completion) I've tinkered with ways to combine both Space Marine and Epic40k, trying to siphon the best of both for my own personal system. Armageddon came around and of course did a lot of what I had in mind fairly elegantly, but since I'd kind of adopted it as a part time hobby I continued my little project and starting combining in elements of Armageddon with the above.

So maybe one day I'll post up my rules of 'Hybrid Epic' ... although at this point with all the work done on NE and NEA its mostly just a project of fun, though I'd love to see what people here would think of it.

So I suppose that works out as .... all of the above?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:07 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Having played Space Marine/Titan Legions, Epic 40K and Epic Armageddon (with SM/TL being my favorite rule set) I have to say NetEpic Gold looks very, very promising. I'm late to the party in that I just really looked over the rules a few days ago. I hope to be able to try a game sometime in the not-too distant future.

"You'll never understand how much watching other people's pain gets me off, hearing their screams and knowing that I have the power of a god." -Velvet Acid Christ

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:16 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Welcome to the forums, and have fun.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:45 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

jimmyzimms wrote:
They all have their merits. What's awesome is we can play 3 (4 really) games with a single collection of models. That's plain rad.

Exactly.

I can play Space Marine second edition/Titan Legions, Net Epic Gold, or Epic Armageddon, depending on whichever takes my fancy. I prefer Space Marine or Net Epic Gold myself, given that I started with Space Marine and have always loves the rules and models, but if someone else wanted to play EA, I wouldn't refuse.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:10 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I've never played Epic40k, it was unpopular and ignored by our gaming group when it came out.

I've glanced through it but never tried Net Epic. I liked 2nd Ed epic (which it's an evolution of) when I was a teenager and played a lot of it but I much prefer the Epic Armageddon system.

Looking at what gets played more is a factor too. I don't think there's been any Epic40k tournaments in years. There were I think 2-3 Net Epic tournaments this year and maybe roughly 20-30 Epic Armageddon tournaments this year (globally).

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:42 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

These threads attract opinions mych like dung affects nerdy flies :D

so flapping my tiny wings:

Never played Classic epics.imagery caught my imagination, but rules seemed not to catch the scale at all and suffered from exceptions.

E40K I loved. Proper sense of scale and character in unit creation. Lovely scenarios. It had its faults, but by and large a gigabtic leap. But, well...

Armageddon is 99.9% tournament and therefore more attractive to active gamers I suppose. Its nice enough for casual play too.

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:59 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

That's some epic poetry there, Nitpick! ;D

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list
-Help me make Whitescars not suck!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:11 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I started with Adeptus Titanicus, moved to SM/TL (and loved it), and completely lost interest with it all when Epic 40k was released (i hated the 3rd edition). Way back when, i had a sizeable Eldar army that i of course sold when i lost interest. Some 20 something years later, a mate and I were looking at getting back into gaming and we stumbled upon Netepic. 5 years on, ive spent more money than i care to admit on buying old figures (plastic shit as my beautiful wife calls it, pretty much bought everything ever advertised on New Zealands version of ebay called trademe) and i now have huge Marine, Titan, Guard, Squat, Eldar, Tyranid and Ork armies, and ive even 3d printed a 6k Tau army and have started on a Dark Eldar army (yes im addicted). To me Netepic embodies everything i loved about Epic.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:20 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

hydroblender wrote:
I started with Adeptus Titanicus, moved to SM/TL (and loved it), and completely lost interest with it all when Epic 40k was released (i hated the 3rd edition). Way back when, i had a sizeable Eldar army that i of course sold when i lost interest. Some 20 something years later, a mate and I were looking at getting back into gaming and we stumbled upon Netepic. 5 years on, ive spent more money than i care to admit on buying old figures (plastic shit as my beautiful wife calls it, pretty much bought everything ever advertised on New Zealands version of ebay called trademe) and i now have huge Marine, Titan, Guard, Squat, Eldar, Tyranid and Ork armies, and ive even 3d printed a 6k Tau army and have started on a Dark Eldar army (yes im addicted). To me Netepic embodies everything i loved about Epic.

Hi!

Glad you like it!

After more than 20 years, I never tired of hearing it from net epic's many fans. :)

Primarch

The Primarchload
Magnetized Titans Tutorial
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules