Login |  Register |  FAQ

Playtest TTL (pure Khorne) v1.41 vs Gargant Big Mob 3.5

Post subject: Playtest TTL (pure Khorne) v1.41 vs Gargant Big Mob 3.5
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:51 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Recently managed to arrange a fight with Gargant Big Mob list champion mordoten, testing the Huge n' Stompy lists we're each developing... against each other!

Took a pure Khorne build in order to test some alternations done to it, such as being able to take 3 Greater Brass Scorpions in one unit, and an extra 5 cm to the Mauler Chaos Knight (not part of v1.41, but now part of v1.42).

The lists were as follows:

Skullhoarder Chaos Emperor titan
2 Hellstrike cannons, 2 Havoc Barrage Missiles
Battlehead, Gun Tail, Greater Daemon Possession.

3 Greater Brass Scorpions
Mauler Chaos Knight
Mauler Chaos Knight
Daemonic Assault Engines
Hellblade Squadron
Hellblade Squadron
5 Lesser Daemons

Development happening at: viewtopic.php?f=82&t=32062

Great Gargant (Supa-scorcha, Gattling kanon and Ripper fist) Extra shields and flakka dakka, Supreme Commander
Gargant (2 x Gattling kannons and 1 x Supa Scorcha). Extra shields and flakka dakka.
Supa-Stompa (3 x Soopa Guns), Extra Bitz (+1DC)
Supa-Stompa (3 x Soopa Guns), Extra Bitz (+1DC)
8 Killa Kans
Fighta Squadron w 1 extra Fighta Bommer

Development ongoing at viewtopic.php?f=83&t=29084

Attachments:
2017-03-24 00.36.57.jpg
2017-03-24 00.36.57.jpg [ 1.87 MiB | Viewed 5587 times ]
2017-03-24 00.32.56.jpg
2017-03-24 00.32.56.jpg [ 1.54 MiB | Viewed 5587 times ]

Last edited by Mrdiealot on Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
 Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Playtest TTL (pure Khorne) v1.41 vs Gargant Big Mob 3.5
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:58 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The battlefield consisted almost exclusively of terrain traversable by War Engines, meaing that there were no real obstacles to getting around, only to line of sight.

TTL got to choose sides. Put my Skullhoarder in the middle, and hoped that I could get as much use as possible out of the in-built AA it has. The Great Gargant rolled maximum shields.

Attachments:
2017-03-24 00.40.16.jpg
2017-03-24 00.40.16.jpg [ 1.51 MiB | Viewed 5585 times ]
2017-03-24 00.46.44.jpg
2017-03-24 00.46.44.jpg [ 1.26 MiB | Viewed 5585 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:10 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

TTL got the first turn.

Being a bit unsure how to proceed, I decided to send the Daemon Assault Engines (1) as a probe along the road, bringing a summoned Fleshhound with them. A Supa Stompa (2) responded by doubling towards them and shooting. Next I put a squadron of Hellblades (3) on CAP.

The Great Gargant (4) also doubled towards the Daemon Assault Engines, but only put blastmarkers on them. The Skullhoarder (5) doubled into the ruins and fired for no effect on the unactivated Supa Stompa.

The first squadron of Fighta Bommers (6) made a ground attack against the Daemonic Assault Engines, killing one, and making them retreat. The Maulers (7) on the far left doubled into the ruins to get some protection from the Skullhoarder.

Attachments:
2017-03-24 00.54.56.jpg
2017-03-24 00.54.56.jpg [ 1.2 MiB | Viewed 5585 times ]
20170321_130649.jpg
20170321_130649.jpg [ 1.57 MiB | Viewed 5585 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:18 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The next Supa Stompa (1) doubled forwards and shoots at the Daemonic Assault Engines for no effect. The second formation of Maulers (2) attempts to triple, but rolls a one, and is instead forced to hold. I elect to get them into the battlefield instead of removing blast markers. The second squadron of Fighta Bommers (3) streak by and give them another blast marker.

The Greater Brass Scorpions (4) also try to get forward, but they also roll a 1. I get these forward as well. The third Squadron of Fighta Bommers (5) swoop in. They are intercepted by the Hellblades on CAP (also 5), killing two of them.

The Gargant (6) doubles towards the middle of the board. The second unit of Hellblades (7) attacks the Fighta Bommers on the right, wiping out the unit.

Attachments:
2017-03-24 01.04.47.jpg
2017-03-24 01.04.47.jpg [ 1.23 MiB | Viewed 5580 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:31 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Gargant Big Mob wins initiative in the second turn.

The Gargant (1) doubles forwards, hitting the Maulers closest to the front. The Supa Stompa (2) comes next, killing one Mauler and breaking the unit. The Skullhoarder (3) hops forward into support range, and gives the Gargant and the Supa Stompa some blast markers. The second unit of Maulers (4) retain initiative, summons a Fleshhound, and attempts to engage the Gargant (and this being pure Khorne they get a +1 on that roll).

The extra 5 cm in movement they got since the last playtest gets them into base-to-base with the Gargant, and two rounds of combat later they've managed to reduce the Gargant to a wreck! There is unfortunately only one survivor, which retreats.

The second Supa Stompa (5) sustains fire at the Daemonic Assault Engines, breaking them. The unit retreats forwards. The Great Gargant (no number, should be 6) heads towards the road, shoots at the Daemon Engines, and kills two of them.

Attachments:
2017-03-24 01.11.38.jpg
2017-03-24 01.11.38.jpg [ 1.41 MiB | Viewed 5580 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:38 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The Greater Brass Scorpions (1) smell an opportunity, and get a lot closer to the Great Gargant that strictly necessary. A unit of Hellblades (2) retain initiative and enter CAP (says CAS, which is something else...).

The first formation of Fighter Bommers (3) attack the Greater Brass Scorpions, and are intercepted by the Hellblades (3), which kill three. The next unit of Hellblades (4) also enter CAP. They then intercept (5) the second formation of Fighter Bommers (5), killing two. Neither unit of Fighter Bommers manage to damage the Greater Brass Scorpions, but of course give them blast markers.

Attachments:
2017-03-24 01.15.28.jpg
2017-03-24 01.15.28.jpg [ 1.35 MiB | Viewed 5575 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:55 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Turn Three: "Epic" Faceoff

TTL wins turn three, and since I rolled a six on the initiative, my "fickle masters" special rule granted me a few extra Lesser Daemons.

The Greater Brass Scorpions (1) gamble that they can take down an undamaged Great Gargant, and they almost succeed... Supported by 5 Bloodletters, they engage. Their torrent of normal attacks make no damage on the Great Gargant, and only a few of the Macro Weapon attacks manage to penetrate. The Great Gargant hits back, damaging all three Greater Brass Scorpions one time each. The third damage turns into a critical hit, which is fatal. Beaten, the surviving two Greater Brass Scorpions try to block the Great Gargant from advancing towards the Blitz.

The Skullhoarder (2) retains initiative, and engages the Supa Stompa. It only manages to damage it, and the Supa Stompa hits back and does four damage... One of which is a critical, forcing the Skullhoarder to check if its plasma reactor will blow up at the end of the turn (this has since been changed in v1.42). The Skullhoarder still manages to win the assault, but is feeling distinctly ambivalent about this.

The last survivor in the first Fighta Bommer (3) formation braves four blast markers and breaks a Mauler that had managed to rally.

Certainly an "epic", but not particularly successful, start to turn three, from the TTL point of view...

Attachments:
2017-03-24 01.19.36.jpg
2017-03-24 01.19.36.jpg [ 1.29 MiB | Viewed 5573 times ]
20170321_140813.jpg
20170321_140813.jpg [ 1.54 MiB | Viewed 5573 times ]
20170321_140945.jpg
20170321_140945.jpg [ 1.68 MiB | Viewed 5573 times ]

Last edited by Mrdiealot on Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:04 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The second unit of Maulers (1) heads forwards. The first formation of Hellblades (2) attempt to retain initiative and enter CAP but fails. The second formation of Fighta Bommers (3) shrug off 3 blast markers and attack the Maulers. The second formation of Hellblades (4) attempt to make a ground attack but fails their initiative roll. The Supa Stompa (5) doubles over and breaks the Maulers, which heads over towards the Blitz.

The Great Gargant (6) engages the two surviving Greater Brass Scorpions, wiping them out.

Attachments:
2017-03-24 01.24.06.jpg
2017-03-24 01.24.06.jpg [ 1.35 MiB | Viewed 5572 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:38 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The Skullhoarder manages to avoid to explode, and with no-one having any goals in turn three, the game goes into turn four. This is over so quick that I forgot to take any photos. It is possible that I could have managed a draw had I acted more strategically and shot at the Supa Stompa that was claiming the take and hold objectives. But as it was, the Gargants claimed two goals in the form of the Blitz and Take and Hold.

Conclusions: A really interesting game, where TTL felt like the underdog, partly due to the fact that the Skullhoarder was equipped in a really useless way. On the other hand it was a really good idea to bring two units of Hellblades. These took a severe toll on the Fighta Bommers, but in the end failed to prevent them from carrying out their mission.

The ability of the Gargants to gain 20cm move in exchange for fires make them really snappy, especially in turns three and four, where any extra damage or fires is unlikely to mean much. Perhaps this ability needs to hurt a bit more in some form.

That being said, the Maulers proved their worth, managing to destroy a Gargant. Three Greater Brass Scorps proved to be a really good formation, especially when they manage to get a load of lesser daemons to support them. The assault against the Great Gargant was always a gamble, but could easily have gone the other way.

Giving the Skullhoarder a less extreme critical hit feels justified after this game, as its low armour save means that it will sustain damage when it attempts to engage. It could certainly have been a lot better equipped, considering the opposition.

The Daemonic Assault Engines managed to pull a lot of attention as usual, 4+ reinforced and fearless being a nifty combination.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:34 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Cool report, but the list is illegal (I'm assuming for testing purposes).

I'm not sure you could have had a less effective loadout against the Gargant list, although if he had brought anything besides War Engines it might not have been that bad.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:59 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Gargant loadput was 2xGattling kannons and 1xSupa Scorcha.

Great Gargant loadout was Supa-scorcha, gattling kanon and ripper fist.

Both had extra shields and flakka dakka.

"You have a right to be offended" - Steve Hughes
"Your feelings are hurting my thoughts" - Aron Flam

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:47 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

OracleBoyd wrote:
Cool report, but the list is illegal (I'm assuming for testing purposes).

I'm not sure you could have had a less effective loadout against the Gargant list, although if he had brought anything besides War Engines it might not have been that bad.

Which list is illegal, and what is illegal? If you mean the three Lesser Daemon Engine formations, please note that one can take one Lesser Daemon Engine formation for each Battle Titan *formation* or Greater Daemon Engine *UNIT*.

I'll try and emphatise that even more, because I'm quite aware that the nuance of that is really easy to miss.

This is to further encourage people to take bigger Greater Daemon Engine formations.

Last edited by Mrdiealot on Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:55 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:48 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

mordoten wrote:
Gargant loadput was 2xGattling kannons and 1xSupa Scorcha.

Great Gargant loadout was Supa-scorcha, gattling kanon and ripper fist.

Both had extra shields and flakka dakka.

Fixed! Should have asked you before, but waz lazy =-/

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:53 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Okay,

That's not at all how I read it.

You might want to change the wording somehow. I read Unit as 1 selection from the list, so a unit of 3 Brass Scorpians would only unlock 1 Lesser Demon selection.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:55 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

OracleBoyd wrote:
Okay,

That's not at all how I read it.

You might want to change the wording somehow. I read Unit as 1 selection from the list, so a unit of 3 Brass Scorpians would only unlock 1 Lesser Demon selection.

Yeah, I imagine that will be a common reaction. If you have any ideas for a better wording I'm all ears.