Login |  Register |  FAQ

Stop That (Thunder)bus

Post subject: Re: Stop That (Thunder)bus
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:14 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

even in general they're a nice upgrade allowing them to soak up extra BM, take hackdowns, and can hug the tanks for cover -1

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list
-Help me make Whitescars not suck!

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:18 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Now i need some proxies to go with my pith helmetted Guardsmen... These could take some finding but it'll be worth it as some anti-alpha strike protection

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:53 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hey guys just thought I'd let you know the result of tonight's game against Codex Marines at 4k. I took on some of the advice and wrote in some redundancy into the list rather than 700+ points on recon.

My list was

Bring Up The Baneblades, 4000 POINTS
Steel Legion (Epic UK v15022013)
==================================================

REGIMENTAL HQ [550]
Supreme Commander, 12 Infantry, 7 Chimera, Hydra

MECHANISED INFANTRY COMPANY [400]
Commander, 12 Infantry, 7 Chimera

MECHANISED INFANTRY COMPANY [400]
Commander, 12 Infantry, 7 Chimera

SUPER-HEAVY TANK COMPANY [500]
3 Baneblade

SUPER-HEAVY TANK COMPANY [500]
3 Baneblade

ARTILLERY BATTERY [250]
3 Basilisks

ARTILLERY BATTERY [250]
3 Manticores

SUPER-HEAVY TANK PLATOON [200]
Shadowsword

SUPER-HEAVY TANK PLATOON [200]
Shadowsword

ROUGH RIDER PLATOON [150]
6 Rough Riders

INFANTRY COMPANY [300]
Commander, 12 Infantry, Hydra

FLAK BATTERY [150]
3 Hydra

THUNDERBOLT FIGHTERS [150]
2 Thunderbolts

His was

...click to edit name..., 4025 POINTS
Codex Marines (170711)
==================================================

TACTICAL [400]
6 Tactical units plus Transport, Supreme Commander

TACTICAL [300]
6 Tactical units plus Transport

DEVASTATOR [250]
4 Devastator Units plus Transport

DEVASTATOR [250]
4 Devastator Units plus Transport

SCOUT [150]
4 Scouts plus Transport

SCOUT [150]
4 Scouts plus Transport

WHIRLWIND [300]
4 Whirlwinds

WHIRLWIND [300]
4 Whirlwinds

LAND RAIDER [350]
4 Land Raiders

LAND RAIDER [350]
4 Land Raiders

LAND SPEEDER [200]
5 Land Speeder

ASSAULT [175]
4 Assault units

TERMINATOR [350]
4 Terminator units

THUNDERHAWK [200]
1 Thunderhawk gunship

THUNDERBOLTS [150]
2 Thunderbolt Fighters

THUNDERBOLTS [150]
2 Thunderbolt Fighters

I had my Baneblade companies sandwiched between the Mech companies. In the end he decided to hit my artillery and blitz late 2nd turn after his 'Bolts broke my Hydra battery but I had the remnants of my Rider platoon to keep the Blitz contested.

Rolling with a Mech Company and Baneblades up one flank as a working pair was murder on everything he tried to slow them down with. He called it halfway through turn 3 as most of his formations were broken or in a bad way and his Whirlwind blitzguard was under threat by Baneblades and a Mech company.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:09 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

That's the thing with Marines. If you buy a really expensive unit like termies in a bus, it leaves you with precious few points left over to hold any ground. My tactic against this would be to go aggressively at the weak main ground force that's left in front of you. If you don't have any massive death star units yourself and you have plenty of hydra support, then his flying bus may struggle to pay for itself while you are jumping up and down on the rest of his army. Also if you have lots of smaller activations on units that can support each other, he's wary about dropping the bus on one of your units as you will then 'counter charge' and jump him in your next activation with one of your supporting units.

Dave

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:27 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Yeah the smaller activations idea has been something I've been running with in our last few games. The only units I've been beefing up lately have been my Inf Companies. I've realised that sticking 23 stands of Inf on Overwatch on each objective is a nightmare to both maneuver around early game and (as long as I can silence his Whirlwind batteries) can be quite a task to shift (crossfires not withstanding).

In the end the Baneblades had to go :( Since dropping them my opponents have been struggling to adjust their Thunderbus target priorities and, generally, havent found such worthy targets elsewhere. It's usually harder to kill my HQ to a man in one assault than it is to delete a Baneblade company. I haven't tried Ogryns yet as, without the BBs, I'm struggling half the time to 2nd guess my opponent's target so without sprinkling them everywhere they'd probably get avoded at the mo (which thinkng about it could also be a good thing....)

Thanks for all your help so far guys. In my latest games I havent been proverbially cowering from the sky as much as before, which has been a pleasant change to say the least :)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:11 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Yeah I wouldn't take a baneblade as is (despite how iconic the unit is) in the GT scenario. The ogryn trick does work on shadow swords but they're not well suited against most marine armies unless they're doing the thunderhawk+Warhound a-go-go routine. Which incidentally, guard mech companies and Warhound combos are really really really good. If you can manuver enough stands up and fire at the target then retain assault with the Warhound you can get stupid number of supporting FF roles in.

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list
-Help me make Whitescars not suck!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:41 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I had a game on Saturday passed 3K Steel Legion V White Scars. White Scars went heavy on bikes and assault marines. 3 Thawks with Assault marines infact, all which made their move in the first turn. First one targeted my death strikes which came to a sticky end as I hadn't put a scout screen infront of them.

Next one went for infantry company but it ended badly for them as I had loads of supporting fire from surrounding formations.

Final one went after my basks. Which again were protected by supporting fire. It ended with them being destroyed.

For me formation placement for Supporting fire and ensure FF is maximised is key for stopping the assaults.

He also initiated an assault using his Termies (in LR) which was initially my worst case scenario but again FF and supporting fire was key. Learning that you can sacrifice a few troops for the greater good helps. After the assaults were done, I sustained fire on all the units hanging about and returned the losses he had inflicted.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:43 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

How many units on Overwatch that are in range and can see a target can shoot at it?

If the answer is all of them, then use platoons of Guard in cover like ruins, or woods on overwatch surrounding the prime target such as a basilisk battery, and have the rough riders on skirmish surrounding the Basilisks as pickets to stop teleporters.

When the Terminators and their thunderhawk transport arrives, overwatch the terminators to death. You can still have a decent amount of forces moving in force to capture enemy objectives, and still use your CAP and Hydras to try and take down the Thunderhawk before it lands.

Having the platoons on objectives in your half near the Blitz helps (providing the enemy has placed them close to each other). You can protect the objectives using mutual cover fire.

Also remember you get 1 free commissar for every 500 points, in a standard game 6 formations get an inspiring leader.

You might even want to keep the Supreme Commanders re-roll to help activate the Rough Riders if you fail first time.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:02 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

At the moment my defence against TBrick marines has been to keep CAP and hydras near any mobile potential targets and protect my blitz and artillery with a full strength inf company garrisoned on overwatch. 18 autocannons has the potential to take the meat out of an air assault.

Also I use a kind of psychological warfare on them as the two marine players both despise shadowswords (lord alone knows why...) so I'll sometimes leave them more exposed on a flank to try and "cloud their judgement somewhat" ;)

But usually once they've dealt with the rough rider screen around my tanks its goodnight leman russes unless I'm particularly lucky

Sent from my 4027X using Tapatalk