I'm currently taking over from Steve54 as sub-AC for the Death Guard. The power, the POWER, BWA HA HA HA HAAAAAH!
Obviously as a new AC I have my own ideas about the list, but given the strong foundation Steve's put together, any changes are going to be evolutionary rather than revolutionary. That said, 0.3.0 contains some biggish changes and several smaller ones. I'll go through those changes in a minutes, but first...AIMS AND OBJECTIVES
Beyond the usual 'let's get this list to Approved state!', I have several guiding principles for development of the Death Guard list:Build Variety -
the list must be capable of generating a wide variety of viable/competitive army lists. Distinctiveness -
while a number of elements are shared with the EpicUK list, the slightly looser and less streamlined nature of the NetEA environment gives extra space to have more units and formations, giving the two lists their own distinctive flavour.Theme & Gameplay -
this needs to 'feel' like a Nurgle force. Given the foundations in place, this shouldn't be too much of an issue.
So, the major changes from 0.2 (the most recent 0.2 QR
).Armoured Assault Company
(PROVISIONAL new formation)
6 Death Guard Vindicators, upgrades Vindicators and Walkers, 250pt.
This is shamelessly cribbed from the Iron Warriors list, but is strictly provisional upon feedback from Onyx.
To be blunt, I've loved Vindicator formations since Adeptus Titanicus days., and want to field them again.
Being a little more systematic:
Pros - this brings back the Vindicator-only formation that was present in an earlier version, but without needing to bump the Vindicators up to 50pt each to prevent spamming of cheap activations. Background-wise, Heresy-era Death Guard were heavy users of close assault vehicles, specifically Vindicators and Dreadnoughts, although a lot of those will have been abandoned since then.
Cons - as a direct lift from the Iron Warriors list (where it's something of a signature unit), this may bee too much overlap between the lists. On the other hand, the slower nature of DG Vindicators (20cm move and no tripling) plus Walker upgrades will make it play very differently, plus it's a support formation instead of a core formation.Blight Drones
(PROVISIONAL profile change)
Looking back through the assorted threads, the 0.2 QRs appear to have added a 15cm Vomit Cannon from the 2014 Compendium list that wasn't present in Steve's posts. Therefore I have provisionally removed the 15cm Vomit Cannon and moved Ignore Cover back to the Maw Cannon. This brings the unit profile into line with the Blight Drones in the Red Corsairs list, but with different formation size, points cost and Initiative.
Pros - consistency between lists.
Cons - a noticeable decrease in short-range AP fire, with a corresponding increase in longer range AP fire.Beasts of Nurgle
(additional Lesser Daemon option)
In keeping with the other faction-specific CSM lists, I've added in more choice of Lesser Daemon. Taking the profile from the Ghallamore Incursion/Daemon World list, they have better FF than Plaguebearers and Ignore Cover on both CC and FF, at the cost of Mounted/Walker reducing their mobility.
Pros - more variety in Lesser Daemons, also,
Cons - I believe this unit profile hasn't seen extensive testing.
Other notes - Beasts of Nurgle could also be represented using the Chaos Spawn already in the list, at the cost of losing the usual rules for daemons.
Full changelog for version 0.3.3:
= name changes & typos.Blue
= changes from 0.3.1.Red
= new items or rules.NEW FORMATION
- Plague Marine Chosen are a new Support Formation consisting of four Plague Marine units with Scout, plus a Lord.Initiative Change
- Blight Drone Swarms changed to Initiative 2+. Weapon Correction
- Blight Drone Reaper Autocannon corrected from AP5/AT6 to AP4/AT6 to match other Reaper Autocannons and also the Red Corsairs profile.Unit Cost Change
- Plague Tower formations changed from 325pt each to 350pt each.Unit Cost Change
- Plague Tower transports changed from 300pt each to 325pt each.Upgrade Change
- the Plague Towers upgrade uses up a Support Formation slot.Unit Cost Change
- Contagion Tower formations changed from 350pt for four to 325pt for four.Unit Upgrades Addition
- Contagion Tower formations can now take the Walker Upgrade.Unit Change
- all characters - Fearless removed as they can only be added to a unit that already has Fearless.Unit Change
- Plague Lord character (re)gained Commander.Weapon Name Change
- Nurgle Daemon Prince's Nurgling Swarm changed to Plague of Blood Flies to match the Lord of Pestilence character.Unit Weapon Change
- Desecrator, Desecrator Cannon changed from AT6+ to AT5+ to bring them more in line with the EpicUK equivalent.Unit Name Change
- Beasts of Nurgle changed to Death Guard Beast of Nurgle.Unit Change
- Beasts of Nurgle changed from FF5+ to FF6+.Weapon Name Change
- Beast of Nurgle Cloud of Flies changed to Cloud of Crawling Flies to differentiate it from the non-identical weapon on the Plaguebearers.Alternate Beast of Nurgle Profile
- added a new Beast profile for testing, which does no direct damage but inflicts BMs.Unit Correction
- Nurgling Swarm had the missing Scout ability added.
Death Guard v0.3.3.pdf [232.94 KiB]
Downloaded 68 times
I've changed the Initiative 2+ units to 'Aircraft, Spacecraft, Contagion Tower and Plague Tower formations' to reduce ambiguity. Note that this leaves Blight Drones on Initiative 1+ compared to the Red Corsairs' 2+, but that's not a change from 0.2.Name Changes
There are several name changes to units and guns, almost universally to match the names of the units in other lists. Gun name changes are limited to units that as far as I'm aware aren't in any other actively developed lists - the Desecrator and the Repugnant Titan.Full changelog for version 0.3.1:
= name changes & typos.Blue
= changes from 0.3.0.Red
= new items or rules.Initiative Change
- Plague Zombie Infestations corrected to Initiative 2+. All Initiative 2+ formations marked with an *.Name Change
- Armoured 'Asault' Company fixed.Unit Change
- Rhino FF corrected to 6+.Unit Change
- Fearless corrected to Expendable on all Lesser Daemons.Unit Change
- critical effect on the Great Unclean One corrected to only affect summoned units.Unit Change
- Plague Ship changed to a single formation of 2D6+3 Plague Zombies after the barrage, applying Teleport rules.Unit Change
- Grave Warden Terminator Alchemical Weapons name change and upgraded to give a 15cm ranged attack, also Ignore Cover.Unit Change
- correction, Expendable removed from the Plague Zombies.Additional Unit
- an experimental Nurgling Swarm added to the Daemon Pool.Additional Unit
- Death Guard Assault Dreadnought loses all ranged AT in return for Heavy Alchemical Launchers.Upgrade Change
- up to three Plague Towers can now be added to a formation.Upgrade Change
- if a Daemon Prince replaces the Lord of pestilence, he gains the Supreme Commander ability.Layout Change
- the free Lesser Daemon for Daemonic Pact is now mentioned in the upgrade, instead of being in a separate box.Army Rule Addition
- Implacable Advance now adds a +1 modifier for Marshal actions.
Death Guard v0.3.1.pdf [227.18 KiB]
Downloaded 350 times
Full changelog for version 0.3.0:Green
= name changes or corrections.Blue
= changes from 0.2c.Red
= new items or rules.
These colour conventions are used in the QR file as well.Initiative Change
- removed Daemon Engine from the unit notes and changed the Initiative section to specify Aircraft, Spacecraft, Contagion Tower and Plague Tower formations as Initiative 2+. Note that this may be a change for formations of Plague Hulks.Additional Formation
- Armoured Assault Company support formation.Name Change
- Contagion Engines to Contagion Towers for NetEA consistency.Unit Change
- Contagion Tower Vomit Cannon changed from Disrupt to Ignore Cover to match other lists.Unit Change
- Blight Drone loses the 15cm gun and gains Ignore Cover on the Maw Cannon, to match the Red Corsairs version.Unit Correction
- DG Dreadnought Twin Autocannon corrected from AP4/AT6 to AP4/AT5.Unit Change
- Death Guard Dreadnought loses Walker in return for Invulnerable Save. Note - this will obviously need testing, but it feels like the most direct equivalent to the other DG vehicles losing speed in return for an Invulnerable Save.Unit Change
- Fester Titan reduced one shot on the Decay Cannon. Note - this was an error in the 0.2 QR but it's one that I'm happy with - gaining AT5+ on the Decay Cannon was already a pretty big buff compared to the EpicUK version that I'm used to running.Name Change
- Repugnant Titan's Rot Mortar change to a Plague Mortar as it has identical stats to the gun on the Plague Tower.Name Change
- Death Guard Defiler changed to Defiler as it's identical to the standard one.Unit Correction
- Defiler Reaper Autocannon was AP4/AT4, now AP4/AT6.Unit Correction
- Defiler's Twin Heavy Flamer changed from AP4+ to AP3+.Name Change
- Desecrator's Decay Cannon changed to a Pus Launcher to distinguish it from the Fester Titan gun.Unit Change
- Added AT6+ to the Plague Hulk's gun. Additional Unit
- Beasts of Nurgle added as Lesser Daemons.Unit Correction
- Plaguebearers reduced to CC4+, FF6+ to match other lists. I'm waiting to hear back about the CC3+, FF5+ in the current Black Legion and Stigmatus Coven online lists, as far as I'm aware that's a typo.
I also added the assorted text for Daemon Summoning etc.
Death Guard v0.3.0.pdf [222.6 KiB]
Downloaded 176 times