Rules Preview

Post subject: Rules Preview
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:00 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Attachment:
AoT_draft_2015-06-26.pdf [2.07 MiB]
Downloaded 1060 times
Here's a preview of the Age of Tyrants rulebook. This is pre-production, so please excuse my game designer diagrams and layout (or lack thereof). We'd love it if you tried them out with proxies and gave us some feedback before we finalise for the Kickstarter. Thanks.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Rules Preview
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:52 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Here's a Beasts of War article on the game
http://www.beastsofwar.com/age-of-tyran ... ined-arms/

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:39 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Here are the latest version of the rules to download for free

Attachments:
AoT_draft_2015-07-31.pdf [2.03 MiB]
Downloaded 738 times

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:01 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Just read through the 20150731 draft and liking what's going on!
Here are some random feedback thoughts.

Those 50x50mm bases will allow for good modelling opportunities, especially with infantry bases!
What is your idea of an ideal amount of regular sized infantry miniatures per base?

The suppression/damage mechanic feels unique without being cumbersome. Correct me if i am wrong, but basically every base got 18 hit points a.k.a. suppression points before it gets destroyed?

Assault rules sound very bloody (if no counter-charge takes place), which i personally like. Also like that both shooting and CC attacks follow the same rules which should make for a nice balance between them two.

However, 'Suppress Area' feels quite clunky. Add up die, half it, roll, substract SR+1 individually for each base and each die, ad up again, apply result... *head scratch

There's no turn limit, right?
With the current victory condition of destroying 50% of your opponent, it might lead to drawn out games if both players are very defensive. Maybe something to look into.

Army building also feels unique (kinda reminds me of deck building in the current Star Wars LCG) and should make for an interesting list building challenge if for example a very strong base gets balanced by being part of a platoon that has lots of weaker elements.

A big YAY to unit cards. Like that in every game, just makes life so much easier then big lists print outs or flipping through army books. Is it correct that there are no point costs for individual platoons yet?

Straight dice off for initiative could end up 'winning a game', if one player runs into a bad luck streak and doesn't go first for several turns.

What total points value would you see as a 'standard, full sized' game, like for example in tournaments?
Additionally, how would it be decided who's attacker and defender in a regular game? Dice off?

Terrain coverage is listed as 25-50%. I wonder if the current terrain set-up rules are open to abuse by the defender?
Lets say the defender plays a very shooty army and decided to place only 25% terrain on the board, all more or less smaller terrain pieces that don't provide much cover like Viridian Fields. A cunning defender then places them all in his half or at both flanks... Even if the attacker then rolls a 6 to move terrain around, it won't do him much good.
How can sneaky tactics like that be prevented in a competitive game?

Sorry for the question mark spam :D

On a personal note, and that might just be me, i find the terminology of 'personnel' and 'materiel' doesn't come of easy of the tongue.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:10 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hey MrGonzo,
This is Mark's area so I'll give him a nudge to get back to you. I know we have recently got a new draft as a number of things have been tweaked as Jake and Mark had a massive gaming session a few weeks back.
Thanks for the very positive replies fella.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:22 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hey MrGonzo,

Sorry I completely missed this post, my bad, I've made sure I'm subscribed to the topic now. As John says, we made a few more big changes to the rules, some of which may address the points you've raised. I've attached latest rules and base stats, and to summarize the changes.

Leaders now use command points to issue orders (usually 4 points minus any suppression the leader has), and they can give different orders to different bases (e.g. "you move forward, you take R&R, and you two attack that tank.").

I cut counter attacking, because it was too involved, and the later change of choosing a single target for the whole order was arbitrary and a bit unrealistic. I always like the concept of developing in a firefight, but in practice it was a slow and long winded way of handling combat. Now there's a more conventional mechanic where attackers can gang up on a target with one of them being the primary attacker using their AM or AP stat, and other bases join in with a new support stat. The target can't counterattack, but rolls dice and adds their suppression resistance against the attackers roll, so it's still an opposed test, and crucially it doesn't activate the target.

Suppress area is gone, but forms the basis of new rules for bombard, which is more about denying ground by activating enemy bases or making them vulnerable (uses a different results table to combat), rather than causing suppression--and the whole procedure is simplified.

Getting on and off transports has also been simplified quite a lot.

Cheers,

Attachments:
Tyrants_Base_Stats231115.pdf [86.03 KiB]
Downloaded 702 times
AoT_for_Final_Edit231115.pdf [1.32 MiB]
Downloaded 732 times

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:50 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Good stuff. Will read through it soon.