Login |  Register |  FAQ

Let's Talk 3: Bikes and Trikes!

Post subject: Re: Let's Talk 3: Bikes and Trikes!
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:28 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Elsaurio wrote:
Markconz wrote:
Looks ok to me.

One thing though Elsaurio, I have a big pile of squats lying around unassembled and something that has put me off assembling them is that I'm not sure what formation sizes are likely to be as the list is still experimental. Some stability about this issue would be nice to know if possible? Do you think they formation sizes will stay the same as they are now, are they likely to change?

That's a very good question!

Let me rest your worries with the statement that we began this project with the caveat:

* Minimal changes where possible
* That no existing players would have their collections invalidated.

After all it's all about the tradition!

This is partially as the 1.5 list has been so extensively playtested that it is close to approval*, and that we are constrained by the existing models to a degree.

That being said, we are toying with the idea that the list may be made a little more flexible in the infantry department. For example, what would happen if the Berzerker formation was allowed to take 0-3 Robots as an upgrade? Or Warriors start at 6 bases and then you add up to 10 more for 25 points each?

You would, in all cases, be allowed to take your existing formations as much as possible. So get assembling!

I might have to post a more complete post about this as its own topic.

*Well maybe not 'close to approval' but any major changes would set it back and require even more playtesting!

Ok thanks for the clarification Elsaurio, and yes I think probably worth its own post :)

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:40 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

StevekCole wrote:
Aye to 5cm other than that don't change. I definitely wouldn't go below 225pts or you run a real risk of people taking 20 activation spam armies of bikes, bezerkers and thunderfires. Likewise more than 3 macros per unit would definitely need a price bump.

Agree that an all trike unit for 225pts would be overpowered.
I can see the usefulness of an all bike unit though, to neutralize AT shots.
A couple possibilities could be:
8 Bike units for 225pts. Replace up to one Bike with a Guildmaster for free. Replace up to 3 Bikes with Trikes for free.
Or:
8 Bike units for 200pts. Replace up to one Bike with a Guildmaster for 25pts. Replace up to 3 Bikes with Trikes for free.

Just throwing out ideas here - I'm happy with the unit as is, and painting up my formations as 1G/3T/4B at the moment.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:45 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Loving the work that is being done on this Elsaurio, your commitment is outstanding.

I've been pondering bikes and I have a couple of thoughts that could tidy them up a bit.

The stat line for the guildmaster is really dumb to me, I'm sure there's a fluff justification but from a practical point of view do we really need 3 different stat lines in an 8 man unit? Having him as a LV rather than infantry means you are forced to take trikes or watch your leader be sniped off which is pretty limiting too.

My suggestion would just be to have him match the stats of a biker, he loses a point of armour but gets better CC/FF and becomes infantry. If you felt that was too good for the points then scrap his INV save too. It would just tidy the unit up a bit. Squats is a a really unusual army in that every unit gas odd combinations of stat lines and in some cases I just don't think its needed. KISS principle should override any vague fluff justifications from the dawn of time.

Also has the possibility of bikes being moved to core been raised as a possibility?

Given the unit size and point cost I can't imagine how this would unbalance the ratios and it would make for some interesting variations on the builds.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:44 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Beefcake4000 wrote:
Loving the work that is being done on this Elsaurio, your commitment is outstanding.

I've been pondering bikes and I have a couple of thoughts that could tidy them up a bit.

The stat line for the guildmaster is really dumb to me, I'm sure there's a fluff justification but from a practical point of view do we really need 3 different stat lines in an 8 man unit? Having him as a LV rather than infantry means you are forced to take trikes or watch your leader be sniped off which is pretty limiting too.

My suggestion would just be to have him match the stats of a biker, he loses a point of armour but gets better CC/FF and becomes infantry. If you felt that was too good for the points then scrap his INV save too. It would just tidy the unit up a bit. Squats is a a really unusual army in that every unit gas odd combinations of stat lines and in some cases I just don't think its needed. KISS principle should override any vague fluff justifications from the dawn of time.

Also has the possibility of bikes being moved to core been raised as a possibility?

Given the unit size and point cost I can't imagine how this would unbalance the ratios and it would make for some interesting variations on the builds.

Sorry for the necromancy, but making the Guildhamster a character EA +1, MW, commander, leader, invul save, does make it a lot simpler IMHO

Imperial fists
Steel Legion
Black Legion