Falcons (2 firestorms)
Mech Guardians
Mech Guardians
Mech Aspects (4 DA, 2 FD, Autarch)
Vypers
Night Spinners
Night Spinners
Phoenix Bombers

faced dptdexys' Steel legion using 3 mech infantry formations, managed to keep it to a draw (likely a points loss though)

I didn't find the list to be too bad actually, the scorpions took quite a lot of attacks which diverted much attention from the rest of the force, the guardians and aspects pulled off a good few assaults, breaking a pair of mech companies and a warhound, even the bombers were effective, neutralising the manticores and hurting his Reg HQ bts

I think with a few tweaks and some more practice, it could be entirely competetive, if slightly sub-optimal, but I really rather like it, I think the falcons are tricky, 275 points would not be too cheap and would help with having to take multiple cheap activation boosting formations like night spinners and warp hunters

I think the problem with the list is that if you want the eldar trickery like the double-retain and avatar, you need to bring the quite expensive guardian formation for the farseer, if you want a supreme commander, it's a minimum of 475 points.....

I think it will be a stronger list at 4k, but not much, still, I enjoyed using it and got a result I was happy with against a much more experienced opponent :)

NetEA Red Corsairs Army Champion

My hobby/painting threads

Army Forge List Co-ordinator

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: EpicUK Yme-Loc list
PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 3:53 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

kyussinchains wrote:
I think the problem with the list is that if you want the eldar trickery like the double-retain and avatar, you need to bring the quite expensive guardian formation for the farseer, if you want a supreme commander, it's a minimum of 475 points.....
This is my beef with the list - it essentially forces you to take lots of stuff you wouldn't otherwise necessarily take, which aren't "core" to the spirit of the list. I mean force not literally of course, but...

- Supreme commander is very important to eldar, you need an autarch which means you need aspects. They have to be mounted, so bam, 475 points, and it's your BTS...
- If you want the free Avatar, you need guardians. They're not allowed to be on foot, so bam, 325 points.
- All of a sudden you have two fair engagement formations. You might want that anyway, but you didn't get much choice in the matter.
- You need AA, and support slots, and falcons are more expensive here, so bam 600 points
- Obviously EoVs are mandatory - that's OK, it's a tank list - but bam, another 425 points
- Now you've spent 1825 points and your average activation cost is 365 points. It's impossible to hit 12 activations because the list has lost the cheap activations from BT, i.e. rangers. To hit 11 you are forced to spend the rest on the cheap night spinners or warp hunters, maybe 1x hornets or vypers. If you do this you give up the ability to hit the deployment zone. If you want to be able to hit deployment zone you need bombers (300) or a gate (100 non-activating points) and storm serpents, which brings you down to 10 activations.

It's really hard to have freedom to build a list unless you give up something really major, like the SC (in an all-2+ army) or the eldar special rules and avatar. It just feels a bit unfair compared to the other lists, which have good tradeoffs and don't have to give up so much.

With a few tweaks we could completely change the list selection and make it a lot nicer, like:
- move the SC into the EoV
- allow a slightly cheaper guardian formation (e.g. without the falcons)
- give access to the singleton EoV

Of course other tweaks are possible too, like what about a 4-unit spinner formation? Or 2-unit bombers? Or adding fire prisms to falcon hosts? Hornets as upgrades for vypers - maybe in a 5-strong formation for 175 with replacements costing 25 points for 2 or 50 points for 5?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 5:27 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

I agree Kyrt, I mean, there is even a command model falcon!

sort it out EpicUK!! ;)

NetEA Red Corsairs Army Champion

My hobby/painting threads

Army Forge List Co-ordinator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:24 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

kyussinchains wrote:
I agree Kyrt, I mean, there is even a command model falcon!

sort it out EpicUK!! ;)

Yeah wishing I hadn't sent that to you now :)