Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

[Experimental] Mobile Forces Of Catachan 0.3

Post subject: [Experimental] Mobile Forces Of Catachan 0.3
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:52 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Inspired by a couple of lists here, the EpicUK Vanaheim List and the EpicFR Catachan List, as well to present yet another approach to a fast, mobile Imperial Guard Army I present the Mobile Forces of Catachan.

I wanted to avoid a drop-army, because, from my personal point of view, these lists are boring. Think more of an old style Catachan force from ye old days, with Ogryns, Demolishers, Hellhounds, lots and lots of Infantry combined with Vietnam-era Mobile Divisions.

Background of the Mobile Forces of Catachan
The army is one of the many armies from the planet Catachan. Compared to other Deathworld Regiments, the Mobile Forces of Catachan take a rather unconservative approach to Warfare and rely heavily on a combined arms approach. Roughly half of the regiment is organized in mobile air companies, while the rest is organized in ground companies, light artillery companies, mortar companies and so on. The army is one of the few to utilize the Valkyrie Albatross, a heavy lifting and transport VTOL normally used to transport troops, small vehicles or goods between different places. It is, compared to other crafts with similar size, weakly armed. The army prefers the VTOL nonetheless due to the thicker armour it provides.
In battle, the force uses forward scouts to infiltrate the enemy positions, be these experienced light infantry as well as Sentinels and Salamanders. After identifiying a target, the army uses hit and run tactics with the Valkyrie mounted troops. After an enemy position has been cleared out, infantry on foot secures the positions. If a position is well protected, the mobile forces of Catachan rely on Griffons and mortars to keep the enemy with their heads down and to flush them out of their position with the help of Ogryns and Hellhounds.
Their weakness is clearly an ongoing battle where they cannot retreat to a safer position with their mobile elements.

Design Concept and Design Ideas
  • The list contains the Valkyrie Albatross, basically three valkyries welded together, just "unorky". So far it is just a rough idea to get some super heavy skimmer in the list. Try thinking of the Iron Vulture from Tail Spin Mashed up with Gothic Grimdarkness and silly VTOL-Guard Aerodynamics like reversed wings.
  • The Tornado is not an actual GW unit, but I think it makes sense. Basically a weaker armoured but upgunned Land Speeder. With slightly increased costs (40 pts vs 50 pts).
  • The regular Russ, the Demolisher and the regular Super Heavies are all out due to balancing reasons.
  • The Chimaeras have gone in favor of Valkyries and variants to give the force a unique approach to play as well to differentiate the army from the regular Steel Legion.
  • The Deathstrike is in because the army needs something apart from the Spaceship to deal with WEs. Without the Shadowsword the army would probably struggle much against armies like Krieg for example.
  • I think Stormtroopers would fit quite well with the Valkyrie Albatross, but having a scouting WE is something I want to avoid as much as possible. As there are regular Stormtroopers, a makeshift special rule does not work well either, or you must model two types of "Stormtroopers". So, balancing reasons
  • No Titans - otherwise the scouting, super-fast Valkyrie formations would be too good. Basically its vanilla-Steel Legion tactics, but with disrupt BP. I wanted to avoid this by making at least the Warhounds unavailable. Since they are not available I left out Reaver and Warhound too
  • Spaceship! Spaceship! SPACESHIP! Well, why not? No one is using it anyway :D

The strong and the weak points
    + Very fast and mobile army
    + Average/good FF values and a solid way to get the troops where they are needed
    + A tough VTOL War Engine
    + Some very cheap units
    + Scout everywhere
    + Easy access to BP weapons

o Only Deathstrikes to reliable deal damage to bigger War Engines (think of Reaver, Leviathan etc)
    o Initative of 2+, Strategy 2+
    o Boring aircraft (only defaults, no Lightning or "big" Bombers)

- Not much MW (apart from the Valkyrie Tornado)
    - No WE except the Valkyrie Albatross
    - No tough units (no AV with a save better than 5+, most have 6+ save)
    - No Warhound(s)
    - Weak/Easy to kill BTS
    - As always, Support formations are more interesting than core. All MW and useful units are in the Support section (Stormtroopers, Valkyrie Tornado, Deathstrikes, MW Sentinels...)
    - Bad in CC except for Ogryns

This is revision 0.1, the initial release. This is to be regarded as super-experimental, especially as it includes two non-official models.
If you have feedback please let me know :)

CHANGELOG:
rev 0.3.4
- added Critical Effect to the Albatross
- reduced TC back to 8 to be more in line with other WE
- added a second Albatross to the Ogryns, increased cost a little
- fixed an error with the PDF, not showing all units in the summary

rev 0.3.3
- increased the cost of the Vulture/vulture Tornado Upgrade to be in line with the Mirali Skyraiders list
- fixed range on the Vulture Tornado and the number of Multilasers on the regular Valkyries

rev 0.3.2
- added some transport capacity on the Valkyrie Albatross to actually fit all Ogryns in
- renamed the Valkyrie Albatross to Albatross Super Heavy Assault Carrier as suggested

rev 0.3.1
- added the 0-1 limitation on the Deathstrikes

rev 0.3
- removed some typos
- added the profiles for the autocannons on the basic-infantry as I forgot those
- increased the AP value of the Punisher to 3+ to reduce it effectiveness

rev 0.2
- changed the Trannsport capacity of the Albatross to eight.
- Increased Core-Formation points slightly.

rev 0.1
- Initial release

Attachments:
Mobile Forces Of Catachan rev 0.3.4.pdf [298.26 KiB]
Downloaded 778 times

Last edited by Largo_W on Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:54 am, edited 8 times in total.
 Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Mobile Forces Of Catachan
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:33 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Might be interesting to make the Albatros a support craft just because it's fitting with some of the drop trooper background fluff as a big hover craft (I'm seeing these guys as a Catachan version of a drop regiment, no?)

this looks fun though I need to throw some math hammer at the numbers.

Is the Tornado an actual GW unit?

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list
-Help me make Whitescars not suck!

Post subject: Re: Mobile Forces Of Catachan
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:41 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hey jimmy,

no the Tornado is not an actual GW unit, but I think it makes sense. Basically a weaker armoured but upgunned Land Speeder. With slightly increased costs (40 pts vs 50 pts).

I wanted to avoid a drop-army, because, from my personal point of view, these lists are boring. Think more of an old style Catachan force from ye old days, with Ogryns, Demolishers, Hellhounds, lots and lots of Infantry combined with Vietnam-era Mobile Divisions.

I have edited the first post to give some additional information on the background of the force and design concept etc. Please see above.

Post subject: Re: [Experimental] Mobile Forces Of Catachan 0.1
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:52 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

You have recieved an upgrade!

Post subject: Re: [Experimental] Mobile Forces Of Catachan 0.1
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:47 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Initially I thought about these to be Valkyries with Multi-Meltas. I think it makes more sense if they cannot be spammed everywhere and still transport stuff. Thats why I switched to the Vulture Chassis. The Vendetta Tornado is a typo.
I am open for ideas, of course. Perhaps an upgrade for the regular Valkyries @25 points to refit them with Multi-Meltas (up to two per squad) ?

Good catch on both mistakes though, I have put up an updated list. Fixed some more typos on the way...

Post subject: Re: [Experimental] Mobile Forces Of Catachan 0.3
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:03 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Valkyrie Albatross

?

In all seriousness, I like the concept of the Valkyrie Albatross, but would change the name; I'd think the Valkyrie refers to the basic hull, with the different types having extra names added on. Something this different to a base Valkyrie would have a different name surely.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:17 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

i like albatross itself.

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:42 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

That ship looks nice and somehow like the concept I still have on paper. From which game does it originate?
I think the proposed name fits quite well. I have changed the name through the document.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:40 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

http://james-camerons-avatar.wikia.com/ ... sault_Ship

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:58 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

A quick diff between other transporting WE

150 Pts
CADIA Stormlord WE 15cm 4+ 6+ 3+
Vulcan Mega-bolter, 3x Twin Heavy Bolters 2x Heavy Flamers
DC 3, Reinforced Armour. Transport (8 infantry units). 4 units may Fire and FF from the fighting platform. Crit= dead

115 Pts, 165 Pts with D3 Shields Oddboy, EpicUK)
ORK Battlefortress WE 30cm 4+ 4+ 4+
4× Twin Big Shoota, Big Gun
DC 3, Transport May transport eight infantry units plus four units of Grotz. Crit = Dead

62,5 Pts (2 @ 125 Pts)
KRIEG Gorgon WE 20cm 4+ 6+ 6+(5+)
2× Twin Heavy Stubber , 0–1× Gorgon Mortars or 0–1× Twin Heavy Bolter
DC 3 Reinforced Armour Transport Walker May transport ten infantry units. Crit = Immobile

150 Pts
Albatross Super Heavy Assault Carrier WE 30cm 5+ 6+ 5+
Skimmer, DC 3, Reinforced Armour, Transport (8). Crit=dead
2x Twin Lascannon, 2x Heavy Bolters, 2x Rocket Pods

The Critical was missing somehow on the Albatross... :D

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:41 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

good call on the critical.
I think it should be Support Craft. It shouldn't be able to hide behind some trees.
That's a might powerful deal for 150 but with the list limitations on heavier units probably works

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:41 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Support craft, like the Space Marine one? I am against aircraft rules, makes the unit too fast, not in theme with the rest (there are drop lists out there as well) and clunky, rules wise, as the Ogryns dont fit in at all.
A Stormserpent can hide behind some puny trees as well :P

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:02 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

No support craft, not AC

Quote:
2.1.20 Support Craft
Support craft are much like a hybrid between a skimmer and an aircraft. They remain high up in the air, hovering over the battlefield, firing over intervening terrain when possible. Support craft function identically to a skimmer unit that is always popped up. Support craft fire and are fired at normally (i.e. anti-aircraft ability is not required). In an assault, support craft automatically force a firefight in the same manner skimmers may choose. It is assumed that support craft transports or the troops they carry are appropriately equipped to embark and disembark troops as normal.

A Stormserpent is more like one of those derpy driod tanks from Star Wars Episode 1. This sounds more like a big monster closer to say a Tau Manta, no?

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next