Login |  Register |  FAQ

Adventurers, Scum and Villany - Proposed NE:P Optional Army

Post subject: Adventurers, Scum and Villany - Proposed NE:P Optional Army
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 8:43 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I am working on an army book based on some oft-missing fluff from 1st edition as well as some other older GW properties. I think it may work well and offer some fun differences in play style. I have a good bit of the structure and units sketched out.

Quote:
BACKGROUND
The Emperor’s gaze is vigilant upon those whom he protects. But the galaxy is vast and humanity’s psychic evolution early; Large portions of the galaxy exist where no Astropath can see, no human ship can travel safely. These places are known even to the most hardened space farers as “the unknown”, the lost planets the outer rims of the galaxy, the outlands.

But these planetary systems are valuable territory, even potentially moreso than the charted and known systems. Many were settled by humans Orks and Eldar in ancient times, others are populated with ferocious beasts or undiscovered humanoids. The promise of vast resources, lost technology or feral armies from which to cull warriors is too great even for the Adeptus Terra to pass over. Brave and fanatical, the Rogue Trader makes the warp jump from Earth to the edges of the known, looking to claim more of space for the Imperium.

Politics and social constructs of the war-torn Imperium fall by the wayside in the outer systems and often one can find the strangest bedfellows. United by the will to survive, a common respect and a mutual distrust of civilization, Space Pirates of all races fight battles over supplies, territory and resources; for the most part they try to skirt the edges of the Imperium, Eldar and Ork Civilizations, but run-ins are inevitable, no matter the care taken to go unnoticed.

This is a place of refuge and a place of war, often Gangs may come here to find a new hive, perhaps after pilfering the resources of a hive, perhaps on the run from the ever vigilant Adeptus Arbites. Other strangeness abounds as well; beast slavers willing to sell an army of dangerous, never before seen creatures and refugees from time and space, marooned in the 41st Millennia as a result of the chaos powers manipulating the fabrics of time, space and reality. Even the cults of the Geanstealers and Chaos are found, searching for planets in a never-ending hunger for conquest.

No matter their loyalty, the armies that operate here are looked upon with distrust and loathing by their respective civilizations. They live and die by two rules; “The Golden Rule” and “Keep your Friends close and your Enemies Closer”. With limited exceptions, almost anyone out here will fight alongside another, if the price is right…

Expect to see Rogue Trader Retinues, Space Pirates of varying races, fully fleshed out Freebooterz, Genestealer cults and hive gangs.

Since really each of these armies are more like sub-armies, I am working on an army selection system that is not too complex but allows varying combinations of the above groups to suit a variety of playstyles.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Adventurers, Scum and Villany - Proposed NE:P Optional A
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 10:00 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Lots of interesting background in early editions.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 11:38 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi!

I miss a lot of that old stuff. It was such an interesting time in GW.

Primarch

The Primarchload
Magnetized Titans Tutorial
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 6:18 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Yep, love the old RT era of GW and i think the lore suits the skirmish level battles well, just not sure how well it would work at epic scale?

That said i'm currently building up a 'Chaos Renegades' army from the NE Gold list, which is full of Cultists, Orks, Orgryn Mercs etc.

I'm sure Chico has a full Genestealer cult army so i guess that works?

I suppose you could have fairly large uprisings on planets etc that might need a decent sized force to put down, where there was a slew of captured imperial weapons and improvised stuff, mixed in with some more elite mercenaries with some exotic kit (or consultants as they might be in the modern context)

I also like the Rogue Trader retinue concept, having a pretty sizable invasion force for exploring new planets and putting down the natives - lots of scope for big battles there, and as you say they could be used as 'allied' groups attached to a main force for better scaling.

I've also been considering doing a small Eldar pirate raiding force with my left overs, as i love the old patterns/iconography from the Eldar Legion box set.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 3:19 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

So a couple of schools of thought here. It seems like it could be trivial to hit 3-5K NE:P points with the existing formations and lists for Rogue Traders, Genestealers Cults and Freebooterz.

So I have two schools of thought here:

1) These armies are "25%-50%" forces to fill out any Codex or Standard army list.

Pretty simple: choose a leader, choose a company, choose special and support.

2) Compound Army

A bit more complex and I am still hammering the idea out.

1) Pick a "commander" (Unique Card) could be an RT, Pirate Captain, Genestealer Patriarch, etc...
2) commander has an "army structure" (for example RT book lays out 100 marines + 2 imperial guard companies, or basically 3 Epic companies.)
3) Pick 2/5 support and optionally Special from a limited list based on army leader type
4) pick remaining support (special if not already picked) from "Generic Scum" list
4) at 3000+ points add another "commander (Unique card) and rinse/repeat.

Thoughts?

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 5:17 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

This could be very interesting. I share the concern that the old RT lists may not make for good Epic scaled armies, but as I haven't done the math on that, and you seem to have put more thought into that, I'll keep an open mind.

This could also be a good venue to explore alternate army concepts like the "Marhaf legion" that was posted a while back. Apologies if I spelled that wrong.

On that line, I've often had a thought run through my head of what would happen if a 40K based exploratory force found and invaded a D&D like world. Basically a Death-world that while having a sizable Human and near Human population, is also overrun with what the 40K based forces would consider Mutants. As these 40K based forces do not have the means for an Exterminatus with them, they have to ground-invade to attempt to wipe out the non-Humans. I may have to work up some lists for that once I get further into the Hit Location issues I'm dealing with.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:06 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi,

I've been working on a similar idea for a pirate/mercs faction for NE.
Using a bit of GW fluff, and blatently ripping off movies like Mad Max and starwars i've put together a bit of fluff.

Attachment:
Pirate Faction v02.pdf [269.69 KiB]
Downloaded 470 times

I have tried to make the list as comprehensive as possible without being massive! (struggling to think of ideas for superheavies/praetorians, but working on it!)

I make no apologies for the units in the list as its primarily designed to use up the left over minis i have from my other completed armies! :)

Very much in the draft stage at the moment (not many unit costs/compositions in) but should give the general idea, will need to fire it through the New Points Forumla at some point once i've settled on the unit stats.

Comments welcome.

Cheers,

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:48 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I got a chance to look over your stuff briefly in the hotel the other night but I have to be honest I am so deep in a proposal for work right now, I have no brain power for anything else!

This actually jumpstarts a good bit of structural stuff I was struggling with.

So a few thoughts:

Could this fill out a large scale Codex or Standard Army?
Would any special rules be needed to link multiple armies together?
Would it be better to leave these lists as "factions" instead of "armies" so, for example they would be the 25% from another army list for other Armies?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:49 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Cool, hope it helps a bit with your project.

Yeah when i started fleshing out the list i figured it would have to be playable as a full stand alone army list (for the pirates at least i wouldn't see them taking allies)

I composed it in a similar way to the Ork list, with distinct factions/clans with distinct skills - Eldar Pirates have good infantry and hi-tech weapons, the savages have the speed/aggressive stuff, the miners have the artillery and heavy vehicles, the underhive gangs have cheap, but numerous troops and the mercs fill the gaps, but are expensive.

of course for skirmish games of 2k points or so you could maybe just fight the sub factions of this pirate list against one and other (could see some cool scenarios with pirates raiding mining installations and them defending themselves etc), but to do a bigger game you'd probably need them all on the same side.

I'll aim to finish off a V1 of the list sometime next week, when i'll get to test and tweak it - who knows!

Cheers,

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:05 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I love the idea an d can't wait to see its completion. I know I found a super heavy tank on Shapeway that I use for my "Beggar's Legion". A look through might give you ideas. You might also be able to add old tanks that are not very popular right now with current armies like the Malcador.