Login |  Register |  FAQ

Black Templar 4.2 vs Tau 6.6 (approved)

Post subject: Black Templar 4.2 vs Tau 6.6 (approved)
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:31 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Recon Reports Pre-Battle

The Colonial Communications Centre Interface [notice that C3I with different words] hummed with activity as Aun’o Or'sha'is [lit. Powerful Wind/Storm] walked in. With Shas’el Sav’lynu [lit. Steadfast in the Future] and the remaining XV8 Shas’vre Cadre away on Bork’an for staff college training Or’sha’is would have to oversee the defense of the Colony.

“Nicassar Dhows report the approach of a Black Templar Crusade Fleet.”
“Scans indicate that they are on a war footing.”
“Damage reports confirm they are definitely belligerent.”
“Be advised the Templar Fleet is a large one [4000 point game!].”
“Presence of a Battle Barge is unconfirmed at this time.”
“There appears to be a substantial number of Thunderhawk support craft with the fleet.”
“Several squadrons of Thunderhawk Transporters also spotted. Images Embedded

“Kor’vattra [Tau Fleet] communications across sector indicate fleet elements are moving.”
“The Colony Gal’leath [Explorer Class Ship] Support Group are inbound this time.”
“Kor’o Ko’vash [lit. Fleet Commander to strive for a worthy cause] advises he will deploy support craft to the planet prior to engaging the enemy.”

Game Details:

Tau forces organized for the older Third Phase Expansion Force v. 6.6 (approved) list for play testing purposes. Without a Shas’el included free within the Crisis Suit Cadres. Also without the improved railgun munitions for the Hammerhead support groups.

Generally we play area terrain conventions. Including for the second terrain contour of my rather low profile hills. I prefer the idea of extending this convention to war engines as well. Despite the size of some!!

OK, Glyn and I play tomorrow, so this was just a warm-up note.

Never faced a death from the sky type army before. Checking:
Planetfall (including drop pods) divert to stay outside ZoC. Also teleport. Air-Landing can land in a ZoC provided it is assaulting a formation responsible for that ZoC. Air-Landing war-engines can barge ground units (Inf or AV) out of the way as they land.

Here in New Zealand Rugby Football is a national pastime/passion/obsession. The local franchise are called the Crusaders. The national team the All Blacks play in, not entirely surprisingly, Black. I personally think that this eternal crusade for the emperor is a cover story for a bunch of rugby supporters dressed in black coming to support the local team.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Black Templar 4.2 vs Tau 6.6 (approved)
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:51 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

"High Castellan, grim tidings - foul xenos scum infest the worthless planet below. They commit the depraved heresy of living in the Emperor's galaxy and must all be exterminated.

In the name of the Divine Emperor the Great Crusade continues! Strike Cruiser
Glory in Genocide to high orbit – initiate drop assault!"

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:07 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Well, I think that pretty much deals with the 5 minute warmup, right there.

On with the Tau Planning. Loved this cartoon when I first saw it.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:20 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Pre-Battle Planning

We have had the game, but this time Glyn has agreed to write it up.
I thought I’d get my thinking/planning posted.
Sorry if the pot-boiler nature of my posts is putting you off.
Next time just bang – straight to a full report.

Fire Warrior Cadre, 8 Fire Warriors + Ethereal + Bonded Team, 3 Broadsides, 2 Pathfinders, Devilfish [550 points]
Fire Warrior Cadre, 6 Fire Warriors, 3 Devilfish, Skyray [325 points]
Fire Warrior Cadre, 6 Fire Warriors, 3 Devilfish, Skyray [325 points]

Broadside Group, 6 Broadsides [325 points]
Pathfinder Group, 4 Tetras, 2 Piranha [175 points]
Pathfinder Group, 4 Tetras, 2 Piranha [175 points]
Pathfinder Group, 2 Tetras, 4 Piranha [175 points]

Kroot Kindred, Master Shaper, 9 Kroot Warriors [175 points]

Manta Dropship [675 points]
Barracuda Squadron, 2 Barracuda [150 points]
Barracuda Squadron, 2 Barracuda [150 points]
Tiger Shark Squadron, 2 Tiger Sharks [175 points]
Gun Drone Formation, 6 Gun Drones [100 points]

My actual planning was a little more detailed than just waiting for a miracle.
Following diagram shows use of scout ZoC to push back any orbital drops out of my half.

My plan also called for a forward line of the upgraded Fire Warrior formation beside the Broadsides, both garrisoned on overwatch.
All within 30 cm of my AA cover (hence able to shoot at aircraft landing out to 30 cm from my units).
The front line was flanked with the Pathfinder Tetras (also within the AA envelope).
These would move out for Markerlighting, Crossfire duties leaving space for the Manta to move into on turn one.
The Manta was initially placed guarding the blitz to provide long range fire support, thicker AA cover and then to move forward
providing closer fire support and flanking support fire for any assaults.
The Mechanized Fire Warriors placed behind in reserve for AA cover and for sustained fire support with Seeker Missiles.
The Pathfinder Piranha formation was deployed between them to occupy the space vacated by the Manta, turn 1, and to provide fire support.

My thinking was to be able to ensure interlocking ZoC could be maintained throughout turn 1 in case of a turn 2 planetfall drop.

I was not too worried about deploying the infantry from the Fire Warrior formation in the open since that could be garrisoned on Over-Watch and hence have a -1 to hit modifier (until they actually fired on Over-Watch). Placing the Broadsides in the open was slightly more adventurous, but they have good armour AND I wanted open fields of fire. In hindsight their ignore cover AP fire might have been better used in cover, and being in cover would give units targeting them a -1 to hit as well. No –1 to hit modifier for Light Vehicles on Over-Watch in the open.

The Barracuda squadrons were selected to provide a more mobile AA envelope.
Tiger Shark deployed Gun Drones were tasked with chasing down broken Marine Infantry detachments to wipe them out with Disrupt AP fire.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:25 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote:
Sorry if the pot-boiler nature of my posts is putting you off.
Next time just bang – straight to a full report.

Oh please no. The infographic above is 1000 times better than most of the move by move writeups I see (sounds more hypercritical than intended so please no one take offense). Please keep those coming

I actually get your strategic plan for the list and game. AWESOME

edit:
DOH. On review you might of been referring to the fluff intro at the top, not the infographics. Regardless, I like that too :)

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list
-Help me make Whitescars not suck!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:53 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Did this get finished?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:27 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Absolutely, a great battle was fought :)

I have a couple of days off this long weekend and will write and post it up then.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:21 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Yes, certainly fought out.

Highlight, from the Tau point of view, was a Thunderhawk ground assault with Terminators that was
shot down on final approach. "It is raining Thunderhawks and Terminators - in small pieces."

The Thunderhawk landed in the distance was assaulted by a Kroot Kindred who wiped it out.
"Genetically Enhance Humans, Pilot Kind, very good for improving the Kroot Sphere Crew."
"Yum, Yum, . . ."

Less impressive Tau performances will have to await the Black Templar camera crew records.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:35 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote:
High Marshall Thorius glared around at his officers, assembled around the holo-sphere at the strategium on the bridge of the strike cruise Glory in Genocide to discuss the extermination campaign beginning on the planet below.
“Progress report!” he barked, his habitual anger and lack of patience showing.
“Our torpedo bombardment has set aflame the five largest xenos population centres on the planet my lord, leaving them raging nuclear infernos” Gunnery Commander Stax reported.
“Excellent” said Thorius giving a rare smile.
“Scanner sweeps have revised the planet's estimated population to twelve million Tau, 40% now dead.” Officer of the Auspex Maximus added
“Once the main crusade fleet translates to the system cogitator servitors calculate it will take around three weeks to incinerate the remaining population and purge the planet of alien filth.”
“Their funeral pyres shall offer light to the divine Emperor” shouted Thorius and a cheer went up from the others.
“How goes our beach-head on the surface?” queried Thorius.
“Commander Delphon of the first reports our landing craft have deployed the Castellum Strongholds and our techmarines have them constructed and active my Lord.”
“Glory be to the Emperor!” intoned Thorius “Our kill-forces now have a base of operations and supply on the planet, needed should those xenos warcraft return with reinforcements and we be pulled away for some time to engage th...”
<loud distorted crackle>
“Glory, come in! Request immediate reinforcement! This is Delphon we are under...” <sounds of huge explosions in the background> ..huge xenos strike force. Castellums und... <more hug explosions> ...anche of fire, advance guard forces close to wiped out. My command Fellblade's auspex shows a large enemy force led by a vast skimmer, Manta class. My Relic Armour is the only formation combat worthy left, moving to engage. Repeat, request immediate reinforcement!”
Thorius was already in motion, rage glowing in his eyes.
“Take us overhead, full speed. Lance batteries target that Manta.”
“Vox officer, shipwide communication – Templars! Our ground forces are under xenos attack, drop assault in two minutes - launching everything we have.” Thorius nods and makes a gesture to cut the channel.
“Chaplain Cantus put them to the sword with the assault terminators. Marshall Richter you have the command chair, I will be joining the Emperor's Champion and leading the Sword Brethren in a Drop Assault.

“Kill all the xenos filth!” he roared as he ran for the lift to the landing deck. “The Castellums must not fall!”

Real world note on my army selection: uh oh... I've pulled up the spreadsheet with my army list in short hand and gone to write it up properly for here and I see I somehow missed the Landing Craft off the list. Cruk! :( My army was actually 375 points over. I wrote it in a hurry while late leaving and missed it. I will have to apologise to Andrew and feel bad about it but can't change it now. Bear it in mind when evaluating the game I guess.

Black Templars 4.2
Sword Brethren + Emperor's Champion in Drop Pods - 350
Thunderhawk - 200 transporting:
Sword Brethren Assault Terminator + Chaplain – 400
Landing Craft - 375 transporting:
Crusaders + 2 Land Raider Crusaders + Chaplain (BTS) - 475
Crusaders + 2 Land Raider Crusaders - 425
2 Thunderhawk Transporters - 250 transporting:
Predator Annihilators - 250
Strike Cruiser - 200
Thunderhawk – 200 transporting
Crusaders + Dreadnought - 325
Thunderhawk – 200 transporting
Crusaders + Dreadnought - 325
'Relic Armour' 4 (counts as) Land Raiders + Hunter - 400
Total: 4375 (oops), 13/14 activations

I wanted to have another go at an air assault this game. I was considering Drop Podding in 3 formations of Sword Brethren at one point, but decided to planetfall them with Crusaders in a Landing Craft instead. I decided to try planetfalling a Predator Anhilator formation with Thunderhawk Transporters, in the hope of sustained firing with them tutn 1, perhaps with crossfire if I'm lucky. I'm curious if it would be worth it or not.

Tau 6.6 (approved version)

Fire Warrior Cadre + Ethereal + Bonded Team - 550
Mechanised Fire Warrior Cadre + Skyray - 325
Mechanised Fire Warrior Cadre + Skyray - 325
Broadsides - 325
Recon (2 Tetra, 4 Piranha) - 175
Kroot - 175
Kroot - 175
Kroot - 175
Kroot - 175
Manta - 675
Barracudas - 150
Barracudas - 150
Tiger Sharks - 175 transporting:
Gun Drones - 100
Total: 4000 points, 16 activations

Last edited by GlynG on Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:43 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:38 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

This is how things were at the start:

A huge mass of well prepared Tau scouts:

With only a single formation of Space Marine relic armour (Land Raiders in game terms) on the board:

Turn 1
Black Templars win the initiative and the Glory in Genocide passes overhead in high orbit and hammers the Manta with strikes from it's lance batteries. A point of damage is caused, luckily critically damaging the Manta's Deflector Shields in the process, downing them for the rest of the game. One other nearby formation takes a BM.

Two Deathwind Drop Pods crash down and unleash a barrage of fire in all directions, putting two blast markers on Kroot formations in the area, before being joined shortly afterwards by Drop Pods containing the Sword Brethren and the Emperor's Champion. Excuse the unfinished and not that appropriate infantry stand in models.

The Landing Craft thinks better of it's initial landing site due to the scouts and planetfalls some way away on the Castellum Stronghold, disembarking it's two Crusaders with LRC formations. In it's eagerness to get them into battle the Landing Craft lands precariously with it's front landing gear up on the Castellum Stronghold's wall section.

As the Land Raider Crusaders disengage from their docking clamps and rumble into position they come under overwatch fire from a Broadside formation, killing a stand of Tactical Marines from the BTS formation.

The Thunderhawk Transporters carrying Predator Annihilators similarly get their drop coordinates moved to a good landing ground and end up nearby. Given that they planetfell and got dropped off for free the Predator Annihilators get to sustained fire, targeting the Broadsides to get some revenge (and before the fragile Predators get killed). Two Broadsides are killed.

A Tau Recon formation gets on the comm-link to the Manta and calls in a coordinated fire action on the other Land Raider Crusader formation. They double themselves getting into a position to get a crossfire:

The Manta moves into position and unleashes a devestating salvo with crossfire...

Brace for impact!

...the Manta kills both the formations Land Raider Crusaders and 3 stands of Tacticals.

Commander Delphon cries out for vengengage and orders his relic armour (Land Raiders) forwards to attack the Recon formation, killing 4.

The landed Thunderhawk Transporters are actually in range to assault a formation so they do. With only FF6+ they don't kill any themselves but support fire kills 3 and 4 more die in resolution. Go THTs!

The surviving Kroot flee to some nearby woods:

Kroot near the Sword Brethren marshal and move closer to them.

The second Thunderhawk roars onto the table...

...and air assaults the Broadsides (hiding behind the hill to stay out of overwatch fire), all 4 hits result in failed saves unluckily, despite their reinforced armour and the Broadsides are wiped out (luckily meaning no support fire).

They consolidate closer to the Manta, hoping to build up a firebase of support fire to engage it.

Tau Fire Warriors engage them in return, two die on each side but the SMs loose combat resolution by 2 and a Dreadnought and the Thunderhawk are wiped out.

The survivors leg it tactically retreat past the Thundehawk Transporters.

The Black Templars BTS Crusaders double (to a position to support fire on the Manta) and shoot Kroot in their way, killing two.

They are then engaged by another Kroot formation, impressively managing to shoot a Land Raider Crusader to death with their rifles in the combat. Two Kroot die in return however and luckily the Templars win by 1.

The other Thunderhawk screams on and air assaults the Manta...

...doing one point of damage. Support fire from the BTS does two more and highly unusually both are criticals causing 2 more damage again. The Manta looses by a whopping 8 but is Fearless so just beats a hasty retreat to a table corner.

Tigersharks stand down.

Thorius “Charge now my brothers, kill them all!!!” - Sword Brethren with Emperor's Champion engage the Kroot in the building. They only kill one but have luck in combat resolution and win by 5.

Tau Recon fails to call in coordinated fire and clears BMs.

Time to unleash the deadliest warriors in my arsenal – the Assault Terminators and Chaplain in a pair of Caestus Assault Rams (the two flyers next to each other counting as a single Thunderhawk in game terms) to air assault a Fire Warrior formation...

Quote:
“Suffer not the alien to live!” roared Chaplain Cantus.
“Slaughter him with your wrath! In the name...”
“What?!?” Cantus looked affronted at being suddenly interrupted from his tirade
“What is it brother pilot?” He spoke into his communicator a little exasperatingly and and paused to listen.
“Never!” shouted Cantus incredulously. “Faith is our shield, brother-pilot, always remember that. The Emperor made our holy Caestuses proof against any fire! Soon you will land us safely and we will put the xenos to the sw...”.

Final audio recording from the Caestus's Obsidian Casket. Recovered two weeks later by an Earth caste team from the rescue fleet from the wreckage at the crash site. Translated by Water caste envoy Han'es'voi.

…and are shot down. Skyrays do 1 point of damage to it, then Baracudas intercept and kill it. Oh no! My best air assault goes down in flames! On paper they're powerful but I often seem to have poor luck with my assault terminators...

The Fire Warriors with Broadsides abandon their overwatch and move to attack my BTS Crusaders killing 4 and their Land Raider Crusader.

The sole surviving stand flees to the safety of the Castellum.

Kroot fail to engage.

Fire Warriors shoot the Crusaders that are celebrating after their victory versus the Manta, killing 4 Tactical stands and their Contemptor Dreadnought.

Barracudas attack broken formation but do no damage.

Barracudas fly off fine. THT fly off taking a BM. Landing Craft and the surviving Thunderhawk stay on table.

The heavily damaged Manta (with broken shields) is understandably shaken up and fails to rally.

The Emperor's 'finest' running away corner, as three formations fail to rally:

End of turn aerial photo:

Turn 2
I win strategy again and sustained fire with the Predator Annihilators again, wanting to use them before they maybe get killed. Their salvo of Lascannons scores 5 hits... all of which the Broadsides save.

Thunderhawk on the ground retains, fails but shoots the nearby Recon formation anyway, killing 1.

The Kroot engage the Thunderhawk...

...and feast on it's tasty crew. Nom nom nom.

The two Tactical Marines shoot the last surviving vehicle of a Recon formation (that had rallied near the left Castellum) and kill it.

Recon formation has had enough of the Predator Anhilators and calls in coordinated fire from the Fire Warriors with Broadsides. The Recon formation loops around for crossfire and places a BM.

Fire Warriors and Broadsides kill 3 Predators:

Landing Craft gets revenge by killing 2 of the Recon formation, breaking them.

Sword Brethren assault the 2 remaining Kroot stands in the formation by the left Castellum, killing both.

Kroot fail to activate.

Relic armour (Land Raiders) double and kill a Fire Warrior and two vehicles.

Kroot think about moving to capture the Blitz but fail to activate.

Fire Warriors and Broadsides fail to activate but fire anyway, doing a point of damage to the Landing Craft.

Barracudas put a BM on the Landing Craft.

Mechanised Fire Warriors try to march to capture the Blitz but fail (that was the 4th 1 Andrew rolled out of the last 6 activations at this point).

Tigersharks come on, deploy their Gun Drones and attack my BTS, finally wiping it out.

Thunderhawk Transporters bravely air assault the broken Recon formation...

..they take a point of damage from AA but beat them and wipe them out.

Barracudas ground attack broken SM formation but do no damage.

Kroot yet again fail to activate.

Fire Warriors with Broadsides shoot the Relic Armour (Land Raiders)...
...illing 2.

Other Fire Warriors also fail to activate and clear Bms.

After getting repeatedly yelled at the Manta rallies this time.

Turn 3
Black Templars win strategy yet again and sustained fire with Relic Armour (Land Raiders) onto a Recon formation, killing 2 and breaking them.

The Landing Craft retains and goes onto overwatch.

Kroot engage the Relic Armour (Land Raiders) doing no damage. They grind them under their vehicles, scoring two hits on 6s though the Shaper saves his one.

Relic armour (Land Raiders) loose and flee towards the Blitz.

Those plucky two surviving Tactical Marines shoot again, but miss this time.

Getting desperate by this point, the Thunderhawk Transporters bravely land by the enemy Blitz (get CAPed but take no damage).

The sole surviving Predator Anhilator near the Blitz goes on overwatch against the oncoming horde.

Tigersharks come on and break it again though (meaning I no longer have Defend the Flag or any way to get it now)

Sword Brethren shuffle over a bit to both capture their Castellum and be in the enemy's table half.

Though having claimed to recovered and be back in the fight the Manta crew are obviously still shaken and not really fancying it as they fail to activate...
..it still casually blows apart the front Thunderhawk Transporter regardless though, leaving the other broken.

Tau win 2-0 turn 3 with Blitz and Defend the Flag.

High Marshal Thorius shook with anger. He and his Sword Brethren had done well but elsewhere his mighty force had nearly all been wiped out by the xenos scum. As much as he would love to stay and fight and hated having to abandon the Castellums he recognised he was beaten and got on the com-link to request the Glory in Genocide send down Thunderhawks to evacuate the few survivors. With Tau forces in the distance fast closing he smiled as a vast shadow swept across the battlefield – now they were for it! His smile froze as he looked up and realised it wasn't Glory up there but a Tau spacecraft. Thorius wasn't having a good day...

Post battle assessment: a good game but another loss for the Black Templars. Tau shooting can be brutal, particularly with crossfie. Missing the Landing Craft out accidentally when adding up my points and so being 375 over was annoying. I gave air assault a good go and overall had a lot of good luck during the game. Shame not to get the Manta and if the Terminators hadn't been blown out of the sky things might have gone differently.

Comments and feedback welcome!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:27 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Nice work guys, hard fought contest. Nice looking gear as well.

Cheers
Aaron

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 11:35 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Cool report, missed this one!

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 10:10 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Yeah,

From before I'd managed to build my own Barracudas and Tiger Sharks.
And before having got the camo paint job on the Manta. Surely that was
why it suffered a critical hit on the first hit, . . . .