Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 656 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 40, 41, 42, 43, 44

GW/FW Ending SG (was: GW Night Spinners no longer available)

Post subject: Re: GW/FW Ending SG (was: GW Night Spinners no longer availa
PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:39 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

kyussinchains wrote:
I've discovered alternative models which are every bit as good, as well as alternative companies to support :) I'm glad I didn't burn even more money now!
if they're coming across from other GW systems and struggle to work with proxy armies, but I'm hopeful that things will look up in future....

One of the great ironies of all this is that armies classically difficult to come by ('Nids, Tau, Squats) or never existent ('Crons, Dark Eldar, SoB) are now fairly easy to bridge the gap with new players from the most excellent work from 3rd party 6mm manufacturers that are available now or about to be released in the short term. These are great times for 6mm!

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list
-Help me make Whitescars not suck!

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:17 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

jimmyzimms wrote:
One of the great ironies of all this is that armies classically difficult to come by ('Nids, Tau, Squats) or never existent ('Crons, Dark Eldar, SoB) are now fairly easy to bridge the gap with new players from the most excellent work from 3rd party 6mm manufacturers that are available now or about to be released in the short term. These are great times for 6mm!

Yeah my sentiment exactly!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:03 am 
Purestrain
Purestrain

I did some 'panic' buying, got most of what i wanted … sort of wish i'd got a harbinger though ;D

I'd have survived without the panic buying – I'd purchased very little from GW in the preceding years and probably wouldn't have bought as much in the years ahead had the line not been pulled. Despite the 'panic' buying I had generous help from other taccomers in sourcing the parts i wanted from other parts of the world, and was able to help a couple of people in return. I was involved in a couple of group orders and everyone was restrained and reasonable in their dealing. gg community!

The result is that i'm now reconsidering my collecting in more general terms, trying to collect towards 'sensible' armies, not just hordes of what looks cool. This allowed me to recoup much of what I spent on panic buys (which wasn't that much compared to some I'm sure, but a lot for me ::) )

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:03 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I'm not going to lie or try to appear rational. I panic bought, and then I panic bought again. Then, when I was all done, I went back for more. Then I went back and payed premium frieght for some items I could only order from the UK site.

I've done this before. At the end of 2nd edition I got *really* lucky. A friend of mine who was selling his game store offered to sell me his Imperial store army. I asked how much, and he said "make me an offer". I looked at the shelf on the wall--bearing a good bit of metal--and said, "fifty dollars," and he agreed. Then he started carting the boxes out of the back room! I didn't realize just how much I was bidding on.

I was actually contracted working overseas near Harrogate, England when E40K died. (I know that's not overseas for some of you....) I didn't know the game was being cleared off the shelves at the time, but I walked into the GW store in Harrogate hoping a store in the UK would have bigger selection of Epic and more "classic" miniatures still on shelves than the ones in the US did. (They don't.) However, I couldn't find any EPIC at all, and when I asked where it was the staff said, "In the back. In the big blue discount bin. They are 1 pound each" My eyes bugged and my mouth dropped when I heard the price..... so I bought the whole bin for a song.

Now, getting that much metal into one of my suitcase to go home was quite an effort. Even more effort? Being able to get back on the plane! This was well before increased security after 9/11, of course, but I still got pulled out of line by several very nervous looking security men who wanted me to stand in a very specific spot, very far away from my bag, while they went through my luggage. Apparently they didn't like the x-ray of a bag *filled* with little bits of metal which have been shoved into and around everything else in the bag.. "Hey, Nigel!" one of them shouted and laughed as he pulled out a pack of Chimeras. "Look what it was!

After that they all had a huge laugh (at my expense) and sent me on my way.

-Allen McCarley

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:17 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hehe. I sent my then girlfriend through Belfast airport security with a carry on full of lead once

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:44 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Harrogate is not overseas to me. ;)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:34 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

On the GW site today - the entire ultramarine chapter for £7065

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:04 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I remember when a single doll-scale thunderbrick was madness enough. ::) Maybe I could arrange my own, slightly sillier version of teracotta bodyguard army in the yard... :spin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:16 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Steve54 wrote:
On the GW site today - the entire ultramarine chapter for £7065

Hi!

I showed that to my wife today. We had a good laugh! ;D

Besides that not a REAL company. You only get 7 land raiders and less than fifty rhinos and a handful of t-hawks.

Mine has over 100 rhinos and 60 land raiders of all types, not to mention T-hawks, dropships and other aircraft.

That's A REAL ultramarine chapter. ;)

Primarch

The Primarchload
Magnetized Titans Tutorial
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:59 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thinking a bit more about it, though it is a PR-stunt, this seems to be yet another indication of GW moving "the Hobby" to the collector/hoarder sphere of human activity. More money to be made if people just collect stuff, I presume.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:52 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Nitpick wrote:
Thinking a bit more about it, though it is a PR-stunt, this seems to be yet another indication of GW moving "the Hobby" to the collector/hoarder sphere of human activity. More money to be made if people just collect stuff, I presume.

Hi!

I agree. Also I believe this has been their intent for many years. Which is why the "game" aspect to them has been secondary (if even that).

Their goal is a market like model trains, cars, etc. You sell ever increasing variety of popular things, with limited releases, etc at enormous prices.

I predict they will either slowly phase out the game aspect of it or minimize it as much as they can.

Heck, I know quite a few whom buy GW stuff, but use other rules....

Primarch

The Primarchload
Magnetized Titans Tutorial
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 656 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 40, 41, 42, 43, 44