Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 157 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

(old) Tale of Epic Gamers 2012 (old)

Post subject: Re: Tale of Epic Gamers 2012 sticky – any suggestions for 20
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:03 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

For me, the ToEG should cater to the residents on this forum. If some would like to venture outside Epic, I still think they should be able to do so in the encouraging atmosphere of a shared community effort. I would be perfectly fine with anything 15mm or less. To be honest, I would not be keen on prohibiting people for any reason, it is just that I think people painting 28mm or more are more likely to participate in painting "tales" in other forums.

/Fredmans

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:50 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

It's tale of epic gamers, to that end I'd put a cap on >15mm scale stuff, there are enough websites which cater to 28mm painting logs.... I've got nothing against scales larger (or should that be smaller?) than 15mm, but I like our little corner of.the web, I like that it's relatively free of stuff not pertaining to large scale gaming, personally I'd like to see it stay that way.... Those interested could start a log on dakka or warseer and link to it in their sigs maybe? If it doesnt have a dedicated forum on taccomms, I say it shouldn't be part of TOEG....

NetEA Red Corsairs Army Champion

My hobby/painting threads

Army Forge List Co-ordinator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:52 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

The forum caters to all army scale wargaming (defined by CS as <15mm scale). I think it would be appropriate for ToEG to do the same. If it did explicitly I'd certainly enter; I have plenty to paint. As it was this last year I would have felt odd with ToEaSGHG (Tale of Epic and SG's Historical Gamers).

That said, figuring out how to make the monthly quota work across multiple systems and scales will be the hardest adjustment. Maybe instead of a points quota we should institute a model quota? I.e. complete 20 models (defined as a stand of infantry, a vehicle, or a large vehicle (over x mm in any dimension) counting as n models each.

Ghost's Paint Blog, where everything goes that isn't something else.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:21 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I like Ghost's suggestion of number of models - makes life easy for me at any rate as I tend to ignore army selection.... then again, 20 titans need more work than 20 Rhinos.

Meanwhile: it's Eldar.
The selection process was simple and effective. I trotted down to the dungeon, where I keep the unpainted stuff, opened a couple of boxes, and the first army-sized lot I found were the Eldar.
Paint scheme chosen; vehicles will be based too. As for army composition – loads of vehicles, as they are faster to paint. But I’ll try to include some troops.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:35 pm 
Swarm Tyrant
Swarm Tyrant

Spectrar Ghost wrote:
The forum caters to all army scale wargaming (defined by CS as <15mm scale). I think it would be appropriate for ToEG to do the same. If it did explicitly I'd certainly enter; I have plenty to paint. As it was this last year I would have felt odd with ToEaSGHG (Tale of Epic and SG's Historical Gamers).

In my own little (admitedly scary) world, this is true. I set the scope of the site and these boards to be 'army scale', which I define as 10mm or smaller, with the smallest unit being an infantry squad or single vehicle. However, while it is clearly biased to science fiction, and Epic in particular, officially the site caters (will cater) for all genres.

That said, this is Apoc's baby, and he is free to set limits within this (although I wouldnt necessarily see the point in having this event with a broader scope than the site itself).

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:52 am 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Thanks for the comments :)

Capping it at massed/army scale combat seems good, more inclusive without losing identity, sits within CS's aims for the forum. That said, bear in mind that not everyone uses 6mm and similar for mass combat – look at angelbarracks' FUBAR 6mm skirmish range, it would be great to see some 6mm skirmish logs!

As SG mentioned, it does make the monthly quota harder to work out, a stand/modle count instead of game system points has also come up before. There has always been the potential for points quota mismatch, if people were doing NetEpic, E40k, FWC etc, but since the vast, vast majority did EA it never needed changing.

Both systems have their problems and mismatch across different armies, different races and mini ranges. A model quota vs. a points quota may also not match well at other scales, but then points systems have to be changed for each system anyway. I'm not sure i see a great deal of point enforcing it either way as neither system is perfect to start with. I like the modle count myself, but if people want to use TOEG as motivation to get a new army ready for a tournament, then using points will make far more sense. Not having a set system does, however, make it harder to generate any sort of stats on TOEG as a total.

Both of these areas also relate to the question of how tightly thematic a TOEG log should be – one army, 3 armies in one scale, kitchen sink etc? Personally I think one army gives more focus, but if people are defining their own set scope and it gets them motivated that works, so long as it does not just become kitchen sink or very general, at which point it belongs elsewhere. Some people have 6mm forum logs which are very project concentrated, more or less TOEG stye, some TOEG logs might be covering 2 armies that are part of one campaign.

Essentially, as long as people agree to or self impose some form of relevant focus on their project I feel they should be allowed to get on with it. If anyone is unsure as to whether 6mm of TOEG is the relevant section they are welcome to discuss it. Over 40 people signed up for 2012, only one log was made which I wasn't sure really fitted TOEG, so i think people can be trusted :D The whole point of TOEG is focus, but if the scope is widened a bit it become less practical to impose a universal focus on everyones' logs, it has to be made relevant to their project. I would still recommend 500pts/monts for EA, this could be run alongside a second general recommendation of 20 models/month (or similar) to act as two starting guide points, these would probably cover 80% of the logs anyway.

If anarchy ensues a more rigid framework could be imposed the following year, and/or any really really off-target logs could be gently re-potted to the other sub-forums.

vanvlak wrote:
I like Ghost's suggestion of number of models - makes life easy for me at any rate as I tend to ignore army selection.... then again, 20 titans need more work than 20 Rhinos.

Whoa, whoa, are you implying you intend to paint 20 models vanvlak? steady on :D ;)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:00 am 
Purestrain
Purestrain

And don't even think of suggesting a quota based on miniature surface area relative to miniature volume, multiplied by the number of colours.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:01 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Aww, come on, I once undercoated a whole 3 models in one month.... :spin

Apocolocyntosis wrote:
Thanks for the comments :)

vanvlak wrote:

Whoa, whoa, are you implying you intend to paint 20 models vanvlak? steady on :D ;)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:29 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Why not just plan a finished army for your chosen system, divide points/models into roughly even chunks (one for every month of TOEG) then stop worrying and get painting

NetEA Red Corsairs Army Champion

My hobby/painting threads

Army Forge List Co-ordinator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:31 am 
Purestrain
Purestrain

That's pretty much what i'm going for: sort your own system/divisons out and get on with it.

*edit: with, as Rob says, a recommended guideline still in place for the majority.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:11 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Well, there'd be nothing wrong with making guidelines for people to follow, but as you say if people want to deviate from that and set their own targets, then as long as they're meeting them it doesn't really matter.

Then again, as you said, very, very few people are actually planning to do anything besides E:A models, so I suggest sticking with the overall guideline of 500pts/month, and if people are going to do a different system, let them work out an equivalent target for themselves (they'll have no one else to blame if it doesn't work...)

Ulthwé Eldar - complete
Nova Guard Titan Legion - complete
Crimson Fists Space Marines - complete

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:14 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Sorry if it's a silly question, but is there a "minimum" total points level for a ToEG project?

Reason asking is that my immediate next project would be a collection of units to be used with the Minigeddon rules. While that includes 500 point blocks, it might not exceed 1500 or 2000 points.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:41 am 
Purestrain
Purestrain

There is no minimum total per se. A while ago TOEG started in the summer and mostly ran until the end of the calendar year, geting a 3000pt force done in 5–6*500pt blocks. More recently a number of people have run longs for closer to a full year. And of course many of us fizzle out after a few months anyway :P

It would be fun to see some minigeddon logs, however, if you know your end goal for the whole of TOEG is a single 1500pt EA force in 3*500 blocks then that might be a bit limited. Achievable, but small, hmm. Multiple forces (eg several minnigeddon armies), non-pointed themed content (objective markers etc.) and higher pointed add-ons (allies/optional formations to push 2000pts) would probably be a good idea to bring it up alongside other logs. Or, if you need to, you could split it into blocks smaller than 500pts, or do a formation a month, which would be justified given minnigeddon's lower points limit.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 157 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next