Login |  Register |  FAQ

Iron Hands vs NetEA Ulthwe'

Post subject: Iron Hands vs NetEA Ulthwe'
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:33 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Another quick smaller game. This one was taking on an opponent I have more worries about for the Iron Hands than most considering just how much they are limited on fast attack elements.

Order of Battle:

Iron Hands (v0.4):
1 Great Clan
-4 Tacticals
-2Devestators
-Great Council Retinue
-1 Venerable Dread

Light Recon
-4 Aspirants
-2 Tacticals
-1 Venerable Dread

Heavy Support
-4 Devestators
-2 Tacticals

Heavy Support
-4 Devestators
-2 Tacticals
-1 Land Raider

Whirlwind Detachment

Strike Cruiser

Ulthwe':
2 x Guardian Warhosts
1 Farseer
6 Guardians
3 Heavy Weapons Platforms
+3 Wraithlords

Guardian Warhost
1 Seer Council
6 Guardians
3 Heavy Weapons Platforms
+3 Wraithguard

x2 Rangers

2x Windriders Troupe

Sword of Vaul formation
-6 falcons

Board Setup:
Board was set up asymmetrically with winner of dice roll laying out terrain and loser picking side. In the the north part of the board was a small hill bordered by a bunker complex of the left flank, the center held by a vast fortress of redemption with a wrecked crassus in front of it (counts as building in game play), and the right a radar array and set of ruins. The south contained a waterworks pumps guarded on their north edge with another bunker complex and on the south with an Imperial shrine. Just off center was a large mountain (first level was agreed to be vehicle and infantry passable while the upper slope was restricted to infantry only). A ruined Ad Mech factory complex and a couple of small bluffs on the far right. The extreme south center was dominated by another ruin. A couple of bunkers were scattered across the middle for no other reason than I had extras. :)

Objectives were decided as the North right bunker complex, the wrecked crassus (as agreed, the FoR was wayyy to good a location to set), and the radar array. The Ad Mech factory and Shrine were selected as objectives and a giant penny on the south edge of the board was discovered to make a great blitz :D

Set up:

IH:
The two Iron Hands heavy support detachments took up the left flank. The Whirlwinds the typical center+bltz guard behind cover of the ruins (actually just touching so counts as in cover for our group. The light recon garrisoned in the ad mech factory. Th great clan was laying in wait for the opportunity to drop pod right into the middle from the strike cruiser.

Eldar :

The 3 guardian warhost deployed across the top center to footslog it. The rangers deployed on either flank, the ones on the right garrisoning the bunkers. The windriders were oddly grouped together behind the FoR (i'll need to ask what was planned with that) though very threatening objective snatchers and harassment force.

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list
-Help me make Whitescars not suck!

Last edited by jimmyzimms on Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Iron Hands vs NetEA Ulthwe'
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:27 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Turn 1: Eldar win strategy roll and opt to go second (figuring I was hopelessly out activated). I double the farthest left heavy support into the water works and bail out into cover of the bunkers and buildings, capturing the shrine in the process. I find I am in range of the garrisoned Rangers and was decided they could just reach out and touch the two windrider troupes (the roll of the dice gods smiled favorably on the forces of the Emperor that day). They open up on the windriders just to lay some blast markers and result in one AP hit from the heavy bolters, though saved. Not so good but expected.

The rangers overwatch on the marines but miss everything. Too much Eldar Ale the night before? Did the Iron Hands have help from the Inquisition the night before sabotaging their range finders? Inquiring minds want to know... [-I-] This thread is censored by order of the holy inquisition .. but we'll never be sure if what he said was true.

The marines retain and knowing that they are out activated and outnumbered need to keep the eldar on their back feet activate the recon and double into the ruins on the opponents side of the board, abandoning the factory. A bold move that will see them disrupting the eldar plans or result in a huge loss as they are surrounded and overrun (The venerable dread inspiring + FIW special rule making them a fearsome Assault contender). The detachment can just make it into the center of cover, the lumbering dread bringing up the rear. They open up on the nearest guardian host scoring a surprising 5 AP hits considering the -1.

The right most guardian warhost enters and secures the radar complex and holding the center now. Obviously the portents are not good and the Eldar are unsure as to this sudden unexpected change of strategy from the marines. So far the plan is working!

The Eldar retain and fail their activation with one of the windriders. They take a hold move behind cover of the FoR. Obviously waiting to spring their trap in turn 2.

Seeing an opportunity opened by the hesitation of the Eldar and the BMs laid down by the recon force, the Whirlwinds activate and bombard the clustered Guardians and lay and additional blast template covering 3 of the wind riders. 3 of the wind riders are hit and fail their saves and the guardians die in droves and break.

The last heavy support doubles into cover of the large mountain disgorging infantry into the craigs and gullies while the land raider takes up a hull down position commanding the center.

At this point the marines are out of activations and the Eldar activate the Flacons and march across the board to slice into the now exposed Marine flank and take the Ad Mech factory complex. The rangers double into cover of the ruins ahead of them and lay a couple of AP shots on the recon force but all hits are saved. The remaining guardians activate and advance and fire at the recon force eventually taking down the venerable dread which lays and extra blast marker for his loss to the chapter.

The eldar rally their broken guardians but they are combat ineffetive at this point. Everyone else sheds off BMs.

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:14 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Turn 2:

Marines win the strategy roll and opt to go first. The preplotted arrival of the Strike Cruiser is carried out (activating just fine) and lance fire and bombardment cannons target the FoR. The one Windrider troupes disintegrates, the other is mauled and breaks. The marines retain the initiative and the plotted drop pod landing for the Great Clan slightly scatters to the south west but effectively right on top of FoR the guardians taking cover by it, the Seer council and Wraithlords. The veteran officers and the Clan Retinue take the lead in the assault invoking FiW to enact the Fearless ability for the clan. The dread moves into b2b with the Seer council, the rest of the marines spreading out in both directions (the farthest few even finding cover in the FoR itself). The seer council and the venerable dread mutually destroy each other, another loss for the chapter, the terminators turning the wraith lords into twisted wraithbone and the tacts and devestators cutting down the guardians for a loss of only two stands of tacticals. The warhost breaks and retreats in a route. The marines consolidate back towards the FoR.

The Falcons pop up attack on the Whirlwinds and take out one. The Eldar attempt to retain with the the Right flank rangers and fail.

The marines activate the whirlwinds and advance through the rubble launching a barrage against the remaining guardians north of the FoR inflicting the last casualties of the match and winning BTS.

The heavy support retains and advances north under cover of their rhinos towards the rangers laying BMs and taking two stands out.

At this point we decided to call the game as my opponent knew he could call on the Avatar and rampage for a turn but ultimately knew this was a delaying tactic and that no hope of winning remained as the strong anti armour force hold my center was more than enough to threaten the falcons and shifting the Great Clan from the FoR was more than the remaining warhost could accomplish.

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:46 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

A few pics snapped with my phone. Sorry for the quality of the pics as well as the scenery; I figure the shame of it all will be a good motivator to actually get some of it based and painted finally...

THe "wreked" Crassus Objective

Minotaurs Iron Hands capturing the Imperial Shrine and water works

Falcons hiding in cover taking the ruined Ad Mech complex. (got that from Shapeways this morning so had to use her)

Great Clan post guardian warhost destruction occupying the Fortress of Redemption

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list