Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next

Genestealer Cult List v1.0

Post subject: Genestealer Cult List v1.0
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:23 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I figured I should really have a link to my Genestealer Cult list in the Tyranid section, as well as in the thread for Epic: Hive.

This list represents a Genestealer cult in full planetary rebellion, including infiltrated PDF elements.

Attachment:
Genestealer Cult v1.0.pdf [811.18 KiB]
Downloaded 999 times

Let me know what you think.

---------------

EDIT: Updated to version 1.0

Last edited by zombocom on Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Genestealer Cult List v0.4
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:47 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Just took a squiz at the list and I do like it.

Thank you for upgrading the civilian vehicle. Very happy about this.

If you do not mind I will bring over JTG's quotes over to here (where they actually belong) to talk about the rest:

Jaggedtoothgrin wrote:
as a longtime GSC player, i like the list (except lictors, which i still dont feel have a place, even if their statlines are useful. i'd rather have smaller teleporting genestealer formations myself)

Now that it is brought to my attention, I tend to agree (although I would hate to lose the sniper ability). If we are going to be purist about it, I say possibly try JTG's idea (teleporting Genstealers) as it may add as much as we lose from the loss of the Lictors. It does not change the dynamic of the list nor the look of it so it is an easy change (trial).

Thoughts?

Jaggedtoothgrin wrote:
i utterly loathe the hyper predator. its just super-wrong and utterly against the fluff i agree as to the possability of something bigger. i suggest that you expand the looted PDF elements to include Firestrike launchers (ala mossinians) and if you want a "big thing" then a stolen superheavy would be ideal (limited in number of course, and i'd recommend the slightly down-gunned versions i've used in my bloody hand list, as it fits the general "not quite as good as the main imperial tanks" theme you've got going) aside from those changes, i think the list is pretty much 'where it should be'

At the risk of agreeing with JTG twice in the one thread ;) I am not really too fussed with a Hyper Predator (pretty much *meh*) and does add something for the larger scale, however I really do love the idea of the looted PDF elements and stolen Super Heavies - the list needs these at an Epic scale. The fact that they are less useful (?) I think is 'swallowed' by the scale of Epic and is really not necessary in representation (although I am sure people will create what they want).

So overall, I like the list.

I would REALLY like the list with the above changes however (bring on v0.5). The ideas above add rather than detract from the theme, they keep it fluffy (purist), and tailor it to your biggest fans ::)

Previous Death Guard
Previous Imperial Fists
Previous Chaos Squats

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:48 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The lictors are staying. They completely fit; a genestealer cult this advanced will have alerted the attention of the Hive mind, which will have sent advanced scouts.

More looted tech including superheavies is possible, I was just trying to see if there was some more interesting option.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:37 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

you seem to have made a misinterpretation of the lictor fluff
lictors show up ahead of the main swarm, locating prey and drawing the rest of the tyranids into the area via pheremone trails.
they absolutely do not show up ahead of the hive fleet. they dont arrive 'before the other nids' do in a planetary sense, merely in an engagement sense.
i am pretty damn sure that lictors dont have their own tiny little spaceships that roam about ahead of the fleet, landing on planets to clear the path for the invasion. i know for a fact they do not use anything other than pheremone markers, which doesnt work in space.
the "scouting out for the main tyranid force" takes place by genestealers, using brood telepathy to call the hive fleet, and performing guerilla and scouting roles until the outer reaches of the hive fleet arrive, at which point lictors, and other gribblies, begin to show up.
unless you're saying "the hive fleet is here, but the lictors are the only ones fast enough to have shown up yet" then lictors shouldnt be that far ahead of the main advance. (and if you are saying that, then we disagree as to what this list should represent. by that point, the GSC should have subsumed all resistance, and ceased to be a fighting force)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:43 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Interesting, I hadn't really thought about it like that. For my supplement, the hive fleet is just arriving, so lictors would be present, but I suppose for a more generalist list they shouldn't be.

I'll cut them out and use them in scenarios in the book.

I do like the idea of a teleporting genestealer formation, though it'd need quite a price bump!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:00 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I'd steer away from super-heavies to reinforce the low-tech feel. PDF is not the same as IG regiments.

I would love teleporting Genestealers instead of Lictors.

Have you put any further consideration into the idea of buggies instead of sentinels, arty platforms instead of basilisks etc?

Otherwise, the list looks like great fun.

/Fredmans

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:02 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I don't see the cult using artillery platforms, but buggies are possible. Sentinels are very PDF appropriate though.

Bear in mind that I am writing this list for inclusion in a supplement set on a hive world, so that factors into my decision making.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:56 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hive worlds are pretty high tech, aren't they? They're not fully-fledged forge worlds, but IIRC they do produce a large part of the Imperium's armored vehicles? Maybe allow the force to select a very few options from a list of "high-tech" vehicles and war engines that have been produced on the hive world but not issued to the PDF?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:32 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

I'm pretty sure in Warriors of Ultramar Lictors turn up before the hivefleet. One near the beginning 'drops' into a field and kills some farmers and pre-the hivefleet reaching the main planet evacuations from farming communities are harrassed by Lictors

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:31 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Iirc there's a type of nid ship that scouts ahead of the hive fleets by many lightyears dropping off lictors and genestealers.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:39 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Vanguard scout ship.

Ghost's Paint Blog, where everything goes that isn't something else.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:14 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

taking a look through my old tyranid books, there is reference in the 3rd ed tyranid codex to lictors being seeded ahead of the hive fleet proper, along with genestealers and gaunts. but this is listed seperately to the "genestealers are sent far reaching via spacehulks to do their corrupty culty thing" and seems very much like "planets in the path of the hive fleet tend to have th 'vanguard' organisms show up first" rather than "genestealers subdue the planet, but we send lictors out to help them" so i still feel very much that lictors have no place in a proper genestealer cult force (though a 'spores begin to land' scenario could be quite cool)

as to point-bumps for stealers vs lictors, i dunno. compare a stand of genestealers to a single lictor. lictors gain: an extra sniper attack, an extra point of armour, firefight, and an invun save, at the cost of a point of CC, and LV status. if anything, i'd say stealers with teleport would still be worth less than lictors (though obviously more than stealers without teleport)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:45 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Steve54 wrote:
I'm pretty sure in Warriors of Ultramar Lictors turn up before the hivefleet. One near the beginning 'drops' into a field and kills some farmers and pre-the hivefleet reaching the main planet evacuations from farming communities are harrassed by Lictors

I was thinking of the same story.

To represent a GSC in Epic it has to be to the point where they are large enough have access to all PDF forces and any IG support and vehicles on the planet. I think having Russes and SHT are very fitting.

Always looking to Trade!
Angel's Trade Thread

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:21 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Jaggedtoothgrin wrote:
as to point-bumps for stealers vs lictors, i dunno. compare a stand of genestealers to a single lictor. lictors gain: an extra sniper attack, an extra point of armour, firefight, and an invun save, at the cost of a point of CC, and LV status. if anything, i'd say stealers with teleport would still be worth less than lictors (though obviously more than stealers without teleport)

Look again, lictors only have 1 CC attack now.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:18 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

oh, so they do, that does bring them basically into balance with each other then
still, i'd say a 5+6+ save vs a 6+/- one, with firefight and 3+sniper CC is a bit better than the 2+ CC and inf status. but i'd probably price them as about the same.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next