Login |  Register |  FAQ

Re-affirms why I like Epic 40k-

Post subject: Re-affirms why I like Epic 40k-
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 3:39 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Well, as you all probably know I've been an Epic 40k fan for some time now. While I like all the Epic systems for one reason or another (I don't think any are perfect), I guess I've been more vocal about Epic 40k because of all the slack it's gotten. . . usually by people who actually never sat down and played a game.

Anyway, I just moved into a new place and my neighbor and I were hanging out having a few beers and he was checking out all my gaming stuff (I haven't found a place for everything yet!!) and he mentioned he used to play D&D and Battletech (. . . no comment). He loved the Epic stuff so I thought I'd set up a game for him. I have extra minis too in my bitz box and left over sprues, and told him I'd give him some.

So here was the dillema: which version to play. . .

AT/SM1? Loved it early on, and love that I still have it, but it is kind of clumbersome by today's standards and the variety isn't there like in the later games, as far as armies go.

SM2/TL? Such an easy game to teach and play, and since we're playing at my place, everything is in arm's reach. The problem is I said I'd give him some miniatures to paint up his own way, and I don't have enough extras to make up some of the detachments. Of course I have loads of my own armies, but I'm not really willing to give them up. . .  :laugh:

Epic Armageddon? Well, I thought seriously about it, but then we are back to the fixed detachments again. I don't have any of the new minis either, and I ain't payin $30 for 4 Land Raiders. I know he won't either.

So then I'm left with Epic 40k. I have standard 1000 point armies set aside, but not knowing the difference between Ork Boyz and Skar Boyz, I figured playing my armies would be hard for a new gamer to understand right away. Most of these minis are meaningless to a new player. So I went through my bitz box and realized I had enough decent leftovers I wouldn't mind letting go, and before long could put together a few small armies to demo, and let him keep whichever he wanted to start with.

So just to start I said we'll make 300 point armies. I don't think I've seen anyone play a game so small. The smallest I did was 500 point. I figured fielding at least three detachments would make things more interesting than one mob, so that gives about 100 points for each. Here's what I came up with and keep in mind these are all LEFTOVERS I wasn't using. . .

-300 point Space Marine Army-

Librarian + HQ (60)
Tactical Squad (30)
Tactical Squad (30)

Land Raider + HQ (60)
Land Raider (35)

Land Speeder + HQ (45)
Land Speeder (20)
Land Speeder (20)

-300 point Ork Army-

Warboss in Stompa (64)
Nobz (14)
Nobz (14)
Boyz (9)
Boyz (9)
Boyz (9)

Warboss (40)
Weirdboy (20)
Shooty Boyz (17)
Shooty Boyz (17)

Warboss in Battlewagon (45)
Battlewagon (14)
Battlewagon (14)
Battlewagon (14)

-300 point Eldar Army-

Guardians + Warlock + HQ (43)
Guardians (8)
Guardians (8)
Support Platform (15)

Falcon + HQ (54)
Falcon (29)
Falcon (29)

Jetbikes + HQ (40)
Jetbikes (15)
Jetbikes (15)
Vyper (22)
Vyper (22)

-300 point Chaos Army-

Captain + HQ (50)
Noise Marines (21)
Chaos Marines (15)
Dreadnought (24)

Land Raider + HQ (60)
Land Raider (35)

Keeper of Secrets + HQ (50)
Daemonettes (15)
Daemonettes (15)
Daemonettes (15)

-300 point Tyranid Army-

Hive Tyrant (50)
Tyranid Warriors (17)
Tyranid Warriors (17)
Lictor (17)
Lictor (17)
Lictor (17)
Genestealers (10)
Genestealers (10)

Tyranid Warriors (17)
Tyranid Warriors (17)
Tyranid Warriors (17)
Assault Spawn (24)
Exocrine (28)
Excorine (28)
Termagants (7)
Termagants (7)

------------------------------------------------------

It was pretty miraculous that I had just enough Tyranid Warriors for this (since you need at least 3 synapes creatures). And designating a mini as an HQ chews up 75 points in a 300 point army with 3 detachments, so there's less minis to go around.

Anyway, we're playing this weekend and I said he could keep two of his favorites and we'd play with those until we move on to something else. I imagine playing with Morale is going to be tough since losing a Land Raider for instance will break a detachment. Still the point is to learn the game and use less of a variety of minis as possible. Epic 40k can be complicated, so I think this is a cool little way to start. . . not bad for a bitz box, huh?

???

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 3:44 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Oh yeah, I figure we'll be able to play 3 games in a two hour period. . .

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 2:59 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

One thing I've decided to do was to ignore the rules about breaking detachments. I figure if a detachment has tons of blast markers on it it is pretty much useless and you'll move them out of the fight anyway. Plus it gets rid of the Leadership tests which don't scale well.

Let me know how it goes. I was planning on doing the same thing.

Oh yeah, another thing I was considering when dealing with small detachments was to replace the roll to hit with a roll to save. The shooter figures out his firepower and his hit dice, he allocates all the dice. Then the defender rolls a save based on his armor value (Armor 6 -> 2+ save, Armor 5 -> 3+ save, etc). This will result in the exact same number of casualties (on average) but will distribute the hits throughout the detachment rather than just kill the guys in the front. This way a leader can actually lead from the front rather than from the rear. In most (all?) versions of Epic, being in the front is suicide.

Aaron

Post subject: Re: Re-affirms why I like Epic 40k-
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:06 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

5 years on, I know, but how did this work out? I want to do a very similar thing - get a bunch of small armies (though will prob go to around 750/1000), and invite people to play with these "house armies".

Post subject: Re: Re-affirms why I like Epic 40k-
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:29 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I'm playing games on this scale usually when i introduce somebody into epic. The games work well, but have never been exciting. It's good to show off the rules, but you are pretty limited on what you can do.