Login |  Register |  FAQ

[NEW!] Harlequin Grand Masque 2.0 DRAFT

Post subject: [NEW!] Harlequin Grand Masque 2.0 DRAFT
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:26 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

March is apparently Weird Army Month and as such the Harlequins are up for some focus.

2.0 is a moderate departure from 1.0 and rather than regurgitating a lot of information here I just ask that you read the design notes.  Not every stat change has been noted, but the bigger topics are covered.  If you have any questions or concerns, by all means post them here!

I will preface this by saying this version is completely untested.  I've pieced it together from Dave McCleod's list stats and my own, ideas from forum members, some experience since producing the first Grand Masque list, and some good ol' common sense.  I can say that when I went through the 1.0 this weekend I kept saying, "What was I thinking?!"  ???

Dave a.k.a. Tepoc a.k.a. Sotec has passed his sub-list onto me and I'll be scouring that one next.  Expect an update posted soon.

It's a dog-eat-dog world, and I've got my Milkbone underwear on.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:46 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Really cool. Wish I had more than ten stands of Harlequins  :sad:

Why no Harlequin's Kiss? That's their most iconic weapon. I think You should note it on their data sheet even though it really just falls under close combat weapons.

"You'll never understand how much watching other people's pain gets me off, hearing their screams and knowing that I have the power of a god." -Velvet Acid Christ

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:54 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I can put it on there if it makes you tingle.  Sure.

Harlequins are sometimes hard to come by but you can supplement them by chopping up other units and painting them in fancy colors.  A variety of Aspects on one stand can easily do it.  (Banshees without the big hair, Scorpions with the cerrations shaved off their blades, etc., will easily bulk out your collection of Harlequins.  

ChaosOrc has them too.

Post subject: Re: [NEW!] Harlequin Grand Masque 2.0 DRAFT
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:33 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

As requested, here is the Harlequin Grand Masque 2.0 list..

Attachments:
HarlequinArmyList2.0draft-no pic.pdf [149 KiB]
Downloaded 778 times

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:38 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Downloaded!

Nice one. :) Now I am off to bed to dream of sweet carnivals.

Side Note: Wow, everything has reinforced armour? No doubt I should read the first pages to find out why...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:49 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

A few edits I see:

In "Special Rules",
Quote:
For victory conditions, any Harlequin formation that is off the board at the end of the turn counts as destroyed.

I'd rewrite that to say "at the end of the game" or "when the game ends", just for clarity.

Also, on the top of the "Grand Masque List" page, you list Dark Eldar as "Dark SEldar"

In "Vision of the Laughing God"'s description of "Teleport", you're missing the word "be" at the end of the first line (it says "may [be] removed..."

Other than that, looks fascinating. I have a fair amount of Harlequin units, but not enough in quantity or variety to viably playtest this list, I think. I'll keep an eye on it though!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:04 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Kealios wrote:
A few edits I see:

In "Special Rules",
Quote:
For victory conditions, any Harlequin formation that is off the board at the end of the turn counts as destroyed.

I'd rewrite that to say "at the end of the game" or "when the game ends", just for clarity.

It's "end of the turn" because that's when Victory Conditions are checked, so, having the most expensive Harlequin formation off-board at the end fof Turn 3 would give the opponent their "Break the Spirit" goal, which could subsequently result in "game ends"; setting it to "end of the game" doesn't allow for that.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:43 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The only dodgy part is this could be read as "end of any turn." Yes, Victory conditions are not checked until the end of Turn 3, but I think you know as many people down at your FLGS who would either be confused over this or so "RAW Lawyers" that a simple step further in clarification wouldnt hurt.

Otherwise I think its good.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:11 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Kealios wrote:
The only dodgy part is this could be read as "end of any turn." Yes, Victory conditions are not checked until the end of Turn 3, but I think you know as many people down at your FLGS who would either be confused over this or so "RAW Lawyers" that a simple step further in clarification wouldnt hurt.

"For the purposes of victory conditions" should probably be added to the sentence.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:28 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thus the term DRAFT. :)

Keep the feedback coming - I'll clean it up.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:28 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

jeepers, I read this just after I trade you all my Harlequin stands! The mark of a true Grand Master :)

they certainly look incredibly scary, though very expensive too. I'll have to try these out against Dave on Vassal, once I've finished thrashing him with your Elysians (he played Saim Hann today and conceded at the end of the 1st turn ;D ).

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 12:05 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I played it about six months ago and found it totally broken TBH. What I think needs to be done is a complete rewrite. Formations of Harlequins might sound totally awesome, but it is darn difficult to manage. I sketched out some ideas to have the infantry forces be led by Harlequins (like 1-2 units) but the rest be other Eldar units. If you want to work on it with me I'd be happy to share.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 12:55 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I am glad you also think so; I don't like being overly critical of lists, but this list has always tended towards being totally OTT! I recall at least one UK player being very firm about that when his army was shredded by the Harlies (you know who you are ;) :)).

However I would equally like to help out if possible, not least because I also have a good number of Harlies myself. What were the views around treating them as an 'ally', putting them in the Space/air restricted section, and increasing the restricted amount (if necessary)? I am sure it has been explored in the dim and distant past.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 12:55 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I am glad you also think so; I don't like being overly critical of lists, but this list has always tended towards being totally OTT! I recall at least one UK player being very firm about that when his army was shredded by the Harlies (you know who you are ;) :)).

However I would equally like to help out if possible, not least because I also have a good number of Harlies myself. What were the views around treating them as an 'ally', putting them in the Space/air restricted section, and increasing the restricted amount (if necessary)? I am sure it has been explored in the dim and distant past.