Login |  Register |  FAQ

3000pts Steel Legion vs Adeptus Astartes

Post subject: 3000pts Steel Legion vs Adeptus Astartes
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:55 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Core book armies. Rules used:
- Finnish Winter Tournament 2008 rules
   (Neal's changedoc, landing flyers cannot contest objectives etc)
- CAP vs CAP

Steel Legion  IV Forest Battallion

Leman Russ Company   650  (bts)
Regimental HQ              500
Super Heavy Company  500
 (3 Shadowswords)
Deathstrikes                200
Vultures                       300
Manticore Battery         250
Flak                              150
Flak                              150
Thunderbolts                150
Thunderbolts                150

(Commissar in all formations except flak)

Space Marines

Land Raiders + Hunter (bts)
Tactical + SC
Land Speeders
Tactical (drop pods)
Devastators + 2 Dreadnaught (drop pods)
Thunderhawk
- 4 Terminators (with Chaplain)
Thunderhawk
- Assault Company
Thunderbolts
Strike Cruiser

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:04 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

SETUP

Space Marines win strategy roll and choose their side. Objectives are placed and Space Marines define their Cruiser to arrive on turn 1.

Imperial Guard garrisons Vultures to middle of the battlefield, on pop-up overwatch. Remaining Guard is deployed to corners, hopefully out of way of the first turn drop. In addition, setup area is filled so that there is no space for drop pod to drop too close. Both corners are protected by Hydra Flak battery.

Only 3 Space Marine formations are deployed - SC Tacticals to right flank, Land Raiders next to them and Land Speeders at center.

(close image of the other corner deployment)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:06 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

It is always nice to have battle agreed upon some days in advance so that I can use the time before it to paint missing units - now I finally have Steel Legion at some level, the base flock, Thunderbolts and Manticores were finished just before this battle. The quality is quite bad but hey as a big force they still look good, no need to go into details...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:24 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

TURN 1

Initiative: Space Marines

Land Raiders double toward Vultures, out of possible reach of Shadow Swords. Obviously drops are not going to come too close to deployed IG...  Vultures open fire and destroy one Land Raider. In exchange shots I think no Vulture is destroyed.

Deathstrikes open fire at Land Raiders and one missile hits. Then comes drops IIRC. Orbital Bombardment drops quite close to Leman Russes and 3 of them are under second template - but all hits are saved. The comes down the Deathwinds which scatter a bit and cause some saved hits to Leman Russes and miss altogether Regimental HQ.

Devastators and Dreadnaughts retain and engage Leman Russes.
The engagement continues to second turn and Leman Russes win with help of their Commissar and support fire from Hydras. Remaining Devastators fall back to forest behind the hill.

On the other side of the battle, regimental HQ engages Drop Pod tacticals and with their superior number (and bad saves by Space Marines) win the engagement and wipe out all tacticals! Things do not look good for SM commander...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:35 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Turn 1 continues...

(it is possible that I remember some operations in wrong order but nevermind that...)

Thunderhawk with Assault Company lands close to Vultures and Assault Marines jump out and destroy 2 Vultures. Only Commissar survive hack down hits and falls back to IG blitz, near left side Hydras.

Right side Hydras advance toward Assault Company and shoot two of them. At some point both armies put Thunderbolts to CAP, and Manticores shoot something... (can't recall, what)

Anyway, then comes the last deep strike when Thunderhawk with Terminators risk Hydras and make a land next to Leman Russes. Hydras hit but all are saved and Terminators engage Leman Russes, win and hack down all but two.

In consolidation, Shadowswords turn a bit and shoot two terminators into pieces. The second Thunderbolt squadron destroy one Terminator more and the last one fall back behind hills.

As last activations, SC Tacticals and Land Speeders move close to crush IG corner next turn...

At the end phase, all formations except last Vulture rally. The Vulture places itself to harass Devastator sustained fire. Fliers exit without ground flak, with 2 blast markers on other Thunderhawk.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:52 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

TURN 2

Space Marines have arranged SC Tactical to good position...

First Land Speeders double from the rear and open fire at Super Heavy tanks. No damage is inflicted but the important Blast Marker is placed. Then Space Marine Supreme Command yells his loyal marines to charge...
..and something goes wrong in communication. He tries again and again but super-soldiers are unable to understand what was expected of them and thus they just fire at Hydras - which all save.

Right hand Hydras then sustain fire at Assault company and rout them. Meanwhile Leman Russes I think destroy some Land Speeders and Hydras marshal and destroy some SC Tacticals. Then at some point Deathstrike launchers engage SC Tacticals and with heavy support from Shadowswords rout and wipe them out! Regimental HQ marches toward SM blitz and aircraft fly around.. Thunderhawks try assault on Shadowswords (fail and is wiped out) and Manticores (lose and wiped out). Land Raiders advance toward blitz and shoot Commissar Vulture.

Land Speeders do not rally and retreat to block Regimental HQ route to blitz. IG has no routed units and only formation with blast markers is Shadowswords which rally.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:55 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

TURN 3

Not many activations left. Land Raiders charge Hydras across the hill to claim the blitz, supported by Devastators. And lose.

Terminator doubles to Blitz and is vaporized by 3 Shadowswords.

Land Speeders are wiped out by second Thunderbolt squadron and Regimental HQ then march to SM blitz and form a chain to second IG objective. Right flank Hydras march to claim two objetives and that's about it. Manticores try to wipe Hunter (bts) but miss.

There is some odd oher moves but not that important...

Devastators rally and thus prevent 'They shall not pass'

Final score: 3-0 for Steel Legion (blitz, take & hold, defend the flag)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:14 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thanks for the interesting read!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:19 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Looks like that Marines had a tough time.  That Tac formation failing to activate even with the re-roll hurt.  Although I'm not to sure how well they would have faired in that assault on the Shadowswords, especially with the Russes and Deathstrikes in what looks to be support range.

Blog

NetEA Tournament Pack Website

Squats 2019-10-17

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:34 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

(rpr @ Mar. 25 2008,18:52)
Then at some point Deathstrike launchers engage SC Tacticals and with heavy support from Shadowswords rout and wipe them out!

Thunderhawks try assault on Shadowswords (fail and is wiped out).

You got one important point wrong here. The thunderhawk assaulted before the speeders were broken and tacticals got annihilated. It would've been pretty silly to assault them alone.  :p

Anyway, what happened was that the thunderhawk took a point of damage from flak, then manouvered so that it only firefought two shadowswords, taking no points of damage in the process. And the combined might of the thunderhawk, a tactical formation and a land speeder formation (neither had taken any casualties at that point, since I did the thunderhawk assault as my next activation after the supreme command failure) caused one whole damage point. Wheeeeeee.

So yeah, I got really trounced in that fight. The orbital drop was a complete failure (you left out the point that the devastators and dreadnoughts assaulting the russes lasted two rounds of combat, them managing to destroy... one russ, even though none of my guys got killed in the first round), my every other assault got me wiped out and those reinforced armour saves didn't seem to fail, ever. Oh, and of course I failed two important rally rolls for the last turn, not that it would've won me the game since I was pretty shredded at that point. But at least the terminator assault worked well, until they got shot up that is.  :laugh:

Come to think of it, my last really bad loss was against eldar, who also deployed in a really tight cluster with no holes to get through and six flak tanks. Marines can't seem to win anything in a shooting match and an assault would've been doomed with all that support fire. Need to figure out what to do with that kind of opponents, especially since they outactivate me with their cheapo activations and either shoot the hell out of me (eldar) or won't die, ever (guard tanks).

So what did I learn?

1. Orbital drops are hideously inaccurate, especially if the opponent deploys like that. The pods should probably go near each other, so the deathwind hits -something- and the formations can support each other.

2. I still hate reinforced armour.  :laugh:

3. Whoa, those comissars are a major pain. Nearly every single formation (especially the reinforced armour ones, which are hard enough as is) gets inspiring. Even those silly little manticore and deathstrike ones. And when you manage to wipe a formation out, there's a good chance that one of the units you didn't kill directly is fearless, so it won't die and can run around screwing the game up for you and take objectives. Arrg.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:32 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Thanks for the report, yes drop pods need to be grouped together to get the maximum effect.

NetEA Ork + Feral Ork + Speed Freak Champion