Post subject: [batrep] OGBM vs. Space Marines 3k
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 6:38 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Rules used:
Handbook 2008
Flyers cannot affect objectives on the turn they land
Fearless units, if they move, must move 15cm away
OGBM "2.1" - 2.0 with 75 point big mek and some other changes not realised in this battle

(note for handbook: Landa has wrong stats for rokkits. There is two of them. And landa has CC 6+ FF 4+ not vice verse)

OGBM Snappa-korn:

(ugly, ugly.. but this was test army)

Great Gargant (soopas)
+Mekboy Big Boss            800
Great Gargant (soopas)
+Big Mek (+5cm)             875  (BTS)
Snappa Mob    
+4 Killa Kans               250
(on) Landa                  200
Snappa Mob    
+4 Killa Kans               250
Snappa Mob    
+2 Dreadnoughts             220

(obviously meant to test the snapp mob in landa)

Space Marines:

Tactical + SC + Hunter
Tactical
Reaver   (BTS)
Land Speeders
Thunderhawk + Terminator + Chaplain
Thunderhawk + Assaults + Devastators
Thunderbolts

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 6:52 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

SETUP

Oh this is going to be simple...
Space Marines decided corner deployment and put blitz to far corner (surprise here!). Orks put their blitz to as close to Space Marines as possible, and then remaining objectives were put close to (Ork) right flank, except for the other SM objective which is far behind the (impassable) hill on the top of the following picture:

(Space Marine blitz is out of picture to right, the other Space Marine objective is behind the hill just behind the buildings)

Neither garrisons anything. Aircrafts are filled up. Space Marines deploy close to corner and Ork gargants together.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:05 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

TURN 1
Initiative: Orks, forcing Space marines to go first.

Oh, forgot to say: I rolled 11 and 12 for the power fields...

Thunderhawk (with Terminators) strafes MBGargant for one blast marker. MBGargant doubles toward side objectives. Thunderbolts strafe SCGargant and drop 2 power fields. Bad Moon Landa strafes Land Speeders and manages to kill one (with like 8 attacks).

Tactical company is put to overwatch. Evil Sunz landa also strafes Land Speeders, and yet again only one is killed (tough ones, those).
Remaining 3 Land Speeders marshal and move a bit.

Goff landa strafes SC tacticals with Hunter as it is left alone on the left flank. Hunter saves but one rhino is destroyed. No killed space marines (he first Tapsa made error to put Hunter to flank and then I made error not to exploit it immediately...)

(Landas ground attack Space Marines)

SC Tacticals marshal and move Hunter to middle of the formation.
SC Gargant is put to Overwatch (the orky way!)

Reaver doubles on the road to fire at SC Gargant. It responds with Overwatch and causes 2 blast markers and 2 dropped void shields. Reaver then opens fire and destroys 3 power fields from the Great Gargant. Orks are out of activations and other Thunderhawk strafes SCGargant for one extra blast marker.

(Gargants are strafed by aircraft)

In the end phase, Landas are shot by the Hunter but they save.
All formations autorally. Reaver and all Landas are left with one blast marker each.

(end of turn 1)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:21 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

TURN 2:
Initiative: Orks (!) - which force SM to move first (!!)
(well I had no good idea what to do first.. very very rare)

SCTacticals are put to Overwatch.
Then I choose to ry it out: Bad Moon Landa (with 4 Dreadnoughts) comes down on Reaver (with SC reroll) and engages it in close combat. In following battle, 2 Killa Kans are destroyed and Landa takes one damage, but in return, Reaver takes 3 damage, Plasma Reactor is damaged and Reaver is forced to retreat back to its starting location!

(victorious Dreadnoughts)

Land Speeders give swift revenge: they double past the Dreadnaughts, pop-up behind the building and melt two Dreadnaughts, routing the reaming two to Ork blitz!

Evil Sunz Landa strafes Land Speeders, rolls 10 dice to attack... and hits once... (but at least that one is not saved). Thunderbolts strafe SCGargant and drop one power field. Goff Landa strafes Land Speeders, rolls 11 (!) dice to attack... and hits 3 times killing one! The last one falls behind a scrubbery hill. How tough these are...

Devastator and Assault company Thunderhawk strafes Mekboy Great Gargant but only cause one blast marker. Mekboy Gargant doubles to corner objectives - it is now 90cm away from Space marine blitz and has speed 20cm...

After long long tactical thinking the Tactical company doubles and moves to cover, a bit closer to MKBGargant. SCGargant is put to Overwatch. Thunderhawk with Terminators air assault landed Bad Moon Landa, destroying it and losing one terminator in process (they have to firefight or otherwise they would have been in range of Great Gargant)

All aircraft exit without fear of AA. Damaged plasma reactor causes one extra point of damage to Reaver. All but Dreadnoughts rally.

(end of turn 2)

There is still one Land Speeder left... and it can operate again.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:38 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

TURN 3:
Initiative: Space Marines

Tactical company doubles to stop BMGargant from advancing toward their blitz. They throw some shots at it but do not hit. Evil Sunz Landa with its Snappa Mob lands close to lone Land Speeder, open fire at it with 18 dice and hits once.. but it fails to save and is destroyed.

Terminators marches backward to take hold of one objective. MBGargant sustains fire at tactical company, destroys 5 units and causes 7 blast markers, not enough to rout the damned Space Marines!

Thunderbolts are finally set to CAP. Goff landa strafes Tactical company, is intercepted by Thunderbolts but saves the lone hit caused to it, and then destroys single rhino from Tactical company, routing it but they stay in place.

Empty Thunderhawk strafes routed Bad Moon Dreadnoughts but only kills one via blast marker. SCGargant stays on Overwatch. No more activations left for Orks...

Reaver advances toward landed Evil Sunz, opens fire.. and kills one Killa Kan. The other Thunderhawk drops Assault Marines close to far flank objective and takes a shot at Evil Sunz but is saved. SCTacticals stay on Overwatch.

(Assault Marines come to fight for the objective - or be in march distance of Ork blitz if Great Gargant ever moves...)

Landas exit without hits. Plasma reactor is repaired. The last Dreadnought does not rally. Others rally.

(end of turn 3)

Goals: 0-0

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:43 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Tactical notes on turn 3:

The Evil Sunz landa dropped Snappa mob for two reasons: to be able to claim objective on the far side (thus I would have 'defend the flag') and also to lure the Reaver to that direction. But if those Land Speeders would not have been so damned tough, it would have landed further away.

Space Marine have to drop assault marines to my side of the board or otherwise if the Reaver would have blown up for the damage to its plasma reactor Orks would have won by BTS and 'They Shall Not Pass'.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:53 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

TURN 4:
Initiative: Space Marines

Reaver advances yet again toward Evil SUnz, opens fire and destroys 5 of them, routing remaining. Empty Evil Sunz landa strafes tacticals close to BMGargant and wipes the remaining two away.

Thunderbolts are put to CAP. Goff landa is ordered to do a critical air assault.. and fails to activate. Big Mek Boss yells at them over komlink but they still refuse to take off, grunting about some 'sneaky 'ooman rokkit bits in da engines'... Ork general can feel victory slipping from hands...

Empty Thunderhawk strafes lone routed Dreadnought destroying it. SCGargant still stays in Overwatch (really cannot leave the blitz objective or Space Marines will win).

Assault Marines engage routed Evil SUnz snappa mob at objective and wipe them off. MBGargant is put to Overwatch. SCTacticals and Terminators do some repositioning, neither is going to win by goals...

On exit, Evil Sunz Landa takes a hit. Most units rally. The dice roll forces is to continue to the fifth turn...

(actually we did not prapare for this so last moves are a bit vague).

(The end of turn 4. Assault marines are behind the hill)

Goals: 0-0

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:02 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

TURN 5: Can we go home, please?

Initiative: Orks

The ideas and motivation on this battle is almost over. As there is still Devastators inside the other Thunderhawk, Gargants still cannot move. Basically the best idea might be to assault the Reaver with last landa, but it is very risky business (actually I do not remember anymore why it is... nevermind, I'm tired...)

Damaged Evil Sunz Landa fails to take into air. Reaver marches to Space Marine objective next to Tactical Company and Terminators.

Goff Landa air assault Assault marines at flank objective and wipes them away. In return, Landa is first CAPped for 1 damage (2 blast) and then 3 Killa Kans are destyoyed - will Snappa Mob end with 3 or 5 blast markers? (i.e. is those 2 blast markers, after the engagement is over, put to Landa or do both formations get 2 or what? We rolled die as both remembered different way and thus Goff snappa mob is not routed)

Terminators march behind the hill to avoid possible lost unit and VP from them. MPGargant doubles, opens fire at SCTacticals and kills the Supreme Commander and some others but not enough...

Other Thunderhawk I think fires at Goffs but no much damage.
Devastators from other Thunderhawk air assault Goff snappas and destroys them. Landas exit.

Goals: 0-0.
Destroyed enemy formations (victory points):
1020 (SM) to 1000 (Orks) for a Tie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:15 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

CONCLUSIONS:

Bad playing on my part, should have used all snappas to take down the Reaver as it was BTS.

There was not much chance for the Space Marines to win by goals as long as gargants did not move. After all, taking a great gargant down is helluva job. But as long as this happened, nor were the gargants going to do much. YAWN. I can imagine how interesting battle would be an OGBM army with 3 Great Gargants...

Great Gargant + mek  (speed)
Great Gargant + mek  (ripper fist)+ 1 killa kan  (to make it BTS)
Great Gargant + mek  (lifta droppa + rokkits)
4x Fighta Bomba
3x Fighta Bomba

One to sit on own blitz, one to move toward enemy blitz, one to secure enemy objective #1 (and own #1 placed conveniently 30cm away from that). If you cannot take objectives, then wait and win or tie by VP. If enemy has strong anti-WE presence, keep gargants close to each other.

..I'm starting to hate OGBM almost as bad as AMTL.

For snappa mob in landa: good for special cases - in most cases I would take warband with extra nobz. So in this way... 150 for it? Maybe okay, but only because of the combo.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:54 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

(Hena @ Jan. 05 2008,21:44)
He could have taken one Gargant. Use Reaver as it was to drop some shields and same with T'bolts. Then march one Tactical near for next turn.

Win initiative.
Advance (or possibly sustain, depends on how the Tacs were placed) with Tacs and hope to drop the shields as far as possible. Retain and air assault with Terminators to close combat with Tacs in range for support. That would give 8 * 4+ +transports for firefight. Something should go through the shields. And Terminators 5 * MW3+ + 4*3+ should do damage as well.

Yeah, it is possible. But hard. The above would do like 4-5 damage if the shields are already down. In response, 2-3 terminators are lost.
But there is that part of taking the shields down first.

(Hena @ Jan. 05 2008,21:44)
Alternative take Annihilators / Land Raiders and go for crossfire.

That would require beforehand knowledge of the upcoming opponents.. I only said beforehand that I will have Orks =]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:59 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

(rpr @ Jan. 05 2008,18:05)
error to put Hunter to flank

I was so used to putting hunters on the flanks of my formations, since that's how I usually display them. Silly me, parade formations are obviously not for battle and all that.

For starters, there's two major points I need to address.

First of all, I didn't have a clue what to do in this battle. Two great gargants shooting three templates worth of macrobarrage and the rest in landas. Yuk. I surely didn't want to fill their targeting sights with power armour considering the marines won't be able to shoot them down, firefight them or close combat them. And my poor land speeders got everything apart from the kitchen sink thrown at them from those landas, so no macro fun either.

Secondly and even more importantly, my marines in the army shot don't look so obnoxiously bright red like in the last report, yay. :p

But seriously, the battle wasn't too action-filled because I didn't have any proper targets to shoot at and wasn't feeling suicidal this time. And somewhere during the second turn I realized shooting the power fields of that gargant wasn't really helpful, since I couldn't have damaged it afterwards anyway. So we both mostly sat on overwatch, waiting for anything shootable to show up.

But at least I learned something, if I ever face something like this again, I should place -both- objective-thingies over 15 cm on the opposing side of the table, so the gargants need to either let me nab them (like the distant objective in a galaxy far far away, or at least behind a hill far from my blitz) or let me claim 'they shall not pass'. What else... I probably should've put my titan somewhere central and on overwatch, since the gargants weren't going to kill it anytime soon with their weapons and it would've absolutely torn apart those annoying landa mobs. Oh, and I need to get an army with absolutely pathetic strategy value, since I seem to roll ones half the time on those.

After the game we discussed going bigger next time, considering both of our forces have been pretty much devastated (as far as amount of scoring units go) in the last two games. With the stuff from the last report and the reaver I just managed to paint up for this game, I'm rapidly approaching 4000 points. Should provide more carnage. Besides, I can't wait to see what's next, now I've faced eyehurtingly pink space marines and a gargant held together by a rubber band. That's some proppa orky injinui- er, enginuu- um, know-wots. :laugh:

Hmm, now I think I should probably go check out the local epic tourney that's in three weeks or so. And then think seriously about another army. Something hordey instead of elitey for a change.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:19 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hopefully my next 3000 point Ork army will be the one with 125 units (!) I just planned... there would be plenty to kill. But first I need to base and paint some units for it...

(and I will not carry that one to Dragon's Den unless I come up with some other transporation device... my briefcase has only like 50 slots)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:03 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Do you transport every stand in a slot of their own? I'm usually very careful with my minis but the plastic epic blighters all fit in a single slot of my, erm, 'carrying case'. (In case anyone wonders, it's a 23x15x5cm miniatures box in clear plastic, similar to the ones GW metal miniatures are supplied in but with more slots. Padded the slots with blister padding, my whole marine army fits neatly in it and it doesn't take much space in my bag. :) )

On the subject of annihilators, I've thought about them since my army is a bit lacking in AT fire. (The titan helped with that though.) But GW supplies predators in blisters of two annihilators and two destructors, meaning a unit of annihilators will get a bit too expensive for my tastes, considering I don't fancy predators much and would have to pay for the destructors too. And they are rather fragile. In the battle here, a snappa mob would've eaten them for breakfast or a salvo from a gargant would have them hurting bad and the gargants shoot farther than the predators... I don't see them hanging around too long against other armies either, since they put out an impressive torrent of fire, yet go down with relative ease, making them prime targets.

Assaulting one of the gargants with the terminators did cross my mind, but after what happened to them in the last battle I was a bit careful with them. (Grrmumble questors grumble...) Would've required me to throw in some tacticals to assist, but then they would've been shot to pieces by the overwatching gargant. And there was the constant danger of the second gargant and those landa mobs.