Login |  Register |  FAQ

alternate option for army lists for tournaments

Post subject: alternate option for army lists for tournaments
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:08 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I was playing our regular monthly Epic day at the Hall of Heroes, when Chis a regular who is a little tired of the lack of variety in armies in tournament lists (which he seems to find have a half dozen or more list only) that are chosen from by most of the top tier players. The rest of the armies tend not to have a enough decent builds or have only one build that seems to work, but can be beaten if you know what to do. E.G. Space Marines have the Drop assault list, but this can be beaten by certain armies, mor ethan others.

He proposed an alternative option based on how space marines can change their transports just prior to battle based on what the enemy army their list is taken from and the terrain. He proposed that you could choose a number of lists builds from your army and choose which list to take before the battle, however I said the community would not accept this. I made another optoin he seemed to find a decent compromise.

This is the proposal. 5 lists are worked out from your army. Each list might be very similar, or radically different. For example a Dark Eldar Air drop assault list. A fast strike close assault list. A fast shooting list. A combination shooting and close assault list, and a second build for an air drop assault list that includes a space ship. You have to use each army in the tournament, and can not use any army more than once. YOu decide which list to use before each battle just knowing which army the enemy army is from, and the map you are playing on. This way you have a better chance to use an army better prepared to fight against an enemy, however, the enemy may have chosen an list that counters your without you knowing it.

It also means that you might have to use an army completely unsuited to play against a certain enemy or on a certain map board as it is the only army you have not played with yet.

Pros and cons for this idea vs the standard format for playing a tournament. I will not use this for MOAB this year, as I have set the rules down already. However I was thinking of getting feedback from the community before even considering using this method for next years MOAB tournament.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: alternate option for army lists for tournaments
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:27 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The last few mini-tourneys I played in had a similar approach; You could bring any number of army lists, specifying in advance which games each would be used in.

There was no element of choosing a list to fit the opposing army, the intent was just to allow players to test more than one list at the day.

I'm not sure if anybody actually used it; I find it hard enough to remember the finesses of the single list I'm bringing.

The notion of picking from a set of lists based on knowledge of the opponent's army and the terrain is interesting, and adds an important decision. For good/experienced players that can keep the nuances of multiple own lists and possible opposing armies present, it would certainly be an advantage.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:40 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Sounds Fun. I remember my first ever Epic tournament encounters.
Had an Eldar Iyanden army but couldn't decide on an army list (with no
experience) so selected three with increasing fractions of Wraithguard.
Thought that the casualties could be brought back with spirit stones!!
It was kind of the organisers/opponents to accommodate my whimsy.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:16 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Seems interesting.

It is balanced but still provides options and fun. Only problem is for those cases were a hard counter between two armies makes the game frusstrating and almost sure who is going to win as putting one of those amongst 5 seems not much risky, but first it should be tested in one or two tournaments, like with RichardL proposal for tournaments scenarios variety.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:54 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Something else that would help is to have a few more tournament scenarios. The standard objectives are great, but if there were sometimes different victory conditions, you’d see different units on the table.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:57 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

@ semajnollissor, would you be thinking of alternate or additional victory conditions like getting 2/3s of your remaining forces in the enemies deployment zone by the end of the game, or other similar conditions?

@ Abetillo, If you need to have this alternate list idea tested, I am now getting a larger group of gamers at my local gaming store that are interested in collecting and playing Epic with 2 new players attending my regular monthly Epic day. With more numbers, I could arrange a set of small local 1 day tournies with 3 rounds being played, and 3 lists being used.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:19 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Certainly seems interesting.
Different scenarios/victory conditions would also play a part in mixing things up.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:38 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Sounds cool, bear in mind it probably favours armies that have a variety of viable builds in the first place (e.g marines and biel tan)