Login |  Register |  FAQ

Orkeosaurus and Crits

Post subject: Re: Orkeosaurus and Crits
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:13 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Abetillo wrote:
Well, i would say that the saves on the infantry from the transport being destroyed happen after the hackdown hits are made on both the transport and the infantry, as allocating goes first for all and resolving the hits later and each stage happen at the same time for all the units, except for FS, MW or TK hits, but agree on the rest.

NetEA FAQ disagrees

NetEA FAQ 1.12.7 wrote:
Q. How are the extra hits the losing formation suffers allocated to a formation with units being transported?
A. Once one of these hits is allocated to a transport (or it is skipped over because it is fearless) all units it is transporting must be allocated a hit (while any remain) before moving on to the next closest unit. Any remaining units that were being transported (fearless units, or those that weren’t allocated a hit) would then make their normal armour save or a 6+ cover save if the transport was destroyed, the formation would not receive a Blast marker for any of these saves if they failed.

NetEA Red Corsairs Army Champion

My hobby/painting threads

Army Forge List Co-ordinator

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:23 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

kyussinchains wrote:
Abetillo wrote:
Well, i would say that the saves on the infantry from the transport being destroyed happen after the hackdown hits are made on both the transport and the infantry, as allocating goes first for all and resolving the hits later and each stage happen at the same time for all the units, except for FS, MW or TK hits, but agree on the rest.

NetEA FAQ disagrees

NetEA FAQ 1.12.7 wrote:
Q. How are the extra hits the losing formation suffers allocated to a formation with units being transported?
A. Once one of these hits is allocated to a transport (or it is skipped over because it is fearless) all units it is transporting must be allocated a hit (while any remain) before moving on to the next closest unit. Any remaining units that were being transported (fearless units, or those that weren’t allocated a hit) would then make their normal armour save or a 6+ cover save if the transport was destroyed, the formation would not receive a Blast marker for any of these saves if they failed.

Uh?

No, it doesn't. The opposite, its what i based myself to say that before. First, that paragraph talks about the infantry inside a fearless transport gets hackdown hits which was discussed some months ago. Second tells that AFTER assigning hits those that didn't have a hit but got their transport destroyed make a normal save or a cover save of 6+.

Quote:
Any remaining units that were being transported (fearless units, or those that weren’t allocated a hit) would THEN make their normal armour save or a 6+ cover save if the transport was destroyed
This is even said AFTER the part where all getting a hit, transport and units transported. And after it says THEN.

Which is further supported by 1.9.6

Quote:
Once ALL hits have been allocated, make saving throws for each
unit that has been hit, using the unit’s armour value from its
datasheet or the cover save from the terrain table.

Apart from that, what i noticed is that the writing has a problem in this part.

Quote:
Any remaining units that were being transported (fearless units, or those that weren’t allocated a hit) would then make their normal armour save or a 6+ cover save if the transport was destroyed

Its like saying that units that got a hit but saved it have no need to make another save because their transport got destroyed because only (fearless units, or those that weren’t allocated a hit) have to do it. So how about...?

Quote:
Any remaining surviving maybe better? units that were being transported (fearless units, those that weren’t allocated a hit or saved the hits succesfully) would then make their normal armour save or a 6+ cover save if the transport was destroyed

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:39 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Just to be complete, because I suspect this might be the question being asked,

Orkeosaurus etc charges formation A.
Opponent opts to fire OW catching the Orkeosaurus and critting it before the troops disembark.
Orkeosaurus staggers into unit from formation B,

What happens now???

My guess-
Formation B is now automatically included as if it had been intermingled.
Play on from there.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:39 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Kk so if it happens before the assault is roll formation B is dragged into the assault. If base contacted during the assault its not dragged in unless the assault works out to be a draw and you fight a second round?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:46 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Abetillo wrote:
kyussinchains wrote:
Abetillo wrote:

NetEA FAQ disagrees

NetEA FAQ 1.12.7 wrote:

Uh?

No, it doesn't. The opposite, its what i based myself to say that before. First, that paragraph talks about the infantry inside a fearless transport gets hackdown hits which was discussed some months ago. Second tells that AFTER assigning hits those that didn't have a hit but got their transport destroyed make a normal save or a cover save of 6+.

Quote:
Any remaining units that were being transported (fearless units, or those that weren’t allocated a hit) would THEN make their normal armour save or a 6+ cover save if the transport was destroyed
This is even said AFTER the part where all getting a hit, transport and units transported. And after it says THEN.

Which is further supported by 1.9.6

Quote:
Once ALL hits have been allocated, make saving throws for each
unit that has been hit, using the unit’s armour value from its
datasheet or the cover save from the terrain table.

Apart from that, what i noticed is that the writing has a problem in this part.

Quote:
Any remaining units that were being transported (fearless units, or those that weren’t allocated a hit) would then make their normal armour save or a 6+ cover save if the transport was destroyed

Its like saying that units that got a hit but saved it have no need to make another save because their transport got destroyed because only (fearless units, or those that weren’t allocated a hit) have to do it. So how about...?

Quote:
Any remaining surviving maybe better? units that were being transported (fearless units, those that weren’t allocated a hit or saved the hits succesfully) would then make their normal armour save or a 6+ cover save if the transport was destroyed

not avoiding the debate here btw, I discussed this with dptdexys and mikeT and both recall Nealhunt saying that you roll jumpout saves first, then apply remaining hackdown hits to the survivors but I can't find the reference to it......

usually it would make little difference but for example, orkeosarus with 2DC carrying 4 wildboyz loses an assault by 3

As written in the FAQ you apply 2 hits to the dino, then one to the crew, then the remaining crew get dismount saves, so, say 1 makes the 6+ save, then it survives

As we play it, you pause in hackdowns, roll jumpout saves, then apply hits to any survivors, so you'd roll 4 jumpout saves, say 1 makes the 6+ save, it then gets hacked down

is this familiar to anyone else?

NetEA Red Corsairs Army Champion

My hobby/painting threads

Army Forge List Co-ordinator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:34 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Well I would not target an engage action at a formation that was on overwatch, especially if it had MW or TK weapons for FF. I would only assault an overwatch formation if I could get my 3 Steam Gargants (if all 3 were not destroyed) to barrage the hell out of the target formation which has a 2 fold effect. 1- the enemy has blast markers, and more blast markers than me in the engagement to follow, and may also lose precious units even before I even perform the assault. 2 - Blast markers stop the surviving units from being able to shoot, which means the enemy formation if they were on overwatch would have fewer weapons to shoot on OW.

When I assault I would where possible have the Supreme commander/ Warlord bring 2 or 3 other formations with Orkasaurus transports into the engagement. The formation that is the weakest would likely be the closest, and weather any overwatch fire. The remaining formations that would also be in CC/ FF range would then engage the enemy, with as many of the WE planning to get into assault with the enemy as possible. Where enemy are close enough to provide support fire (if I unload certain WE transports, I would pick carefully those that I unloaded, and where I positioned my units, so enemy could not provide fire support during the engagement.

When I consolidate my formations after the engagement, I would remount my units, and move away from the enemy nearby with my Orkasaurus spread apart enough to avoid too much return fire from Barrage templates, and also be able to provide support fire if one off the others was assaulted, and enough room to allow the units on board to dismount.

Thus I have solved the problem pretty much all together.

I have fount that it is enemy units who specifically target the orkasaurus at range outside of my 15cm engagement range and who are armed with MW and TK weapons that have the most devastating affect on the WEs and their transported units.