Login |  Register |  FAQ

Orkeosaurus and Crits

Post subject: Orkeosaurus and Crits
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:35 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Orkeosaurus crits and assaults.

So im guess a crit and then randomly run out of 15cm thats it no support fire? and roll off unless they assaulted and they auto lose the assault.

Say if it assaults me and i crit it. and it runs into another formation of mine and b2b it (even if it kills what it b2b from the macro hit), does this drag my new formation into the assault but it dosnt get to CC as we roll at the same time? So now i can get extra numbers for free?

how about if ive killed it and still roll up a crit and it runs out of the assault range. runs out then unloads?

here another 1 for me not knowing the rules and thought id ask why im going. say if i assault a Orkeosaurus. leave it on 1 DC then beat it by 1 in the assault so it dies as its the closest. Now every1 inside has to take an armour save getting out. and if 5 die thats 5 blasts after being broken so now its 5 extra dead from broken and taking blasts?

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Orkeosaurus and Crits
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:14 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

I think I would play it thus:

if the orkeosaurus takes a crit during the engagement, then rampages into BTB with another unit, this is after the countercharge phase so I would play that it does not drag the second formation in, and any units it kills from the second formation do not count for combat resolution. If the combat rolloff is even, and a second round is fought then the second unit would count and get to CC/FF as if the orkeosaurus had countercharged a second time between rounds

in the case where the orkeosaurus takes a crit then rampages 16cm away, you would still rolloff because the beast took part in the assault, so the assault did not stall, although I'm not sure what happens if the rolloff is a tie and the orkeosaurus refuses to countercharge so is now out of range.... probably rolloff a second time....

in your example of dismounting, 1.13.2 from the rules states that you must completely resolve the assault or shooting before checking if the formation is broken, I read that as make hits, roll resolution, apply further hits, remove casualties, THEN mark them as broken, so in your example you would roll the resolution and apply the hit to the orkeosaurus, killing it, you then roll your dismount saves, and any survivors THEN become broken and must withdraw

NetEA Red Corsairs Army Champion

My hobby/painting threads

Army Forge List Co-ordinator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:29 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

thanks man

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:50 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

kyussinchains wrote:
I think I would play it thus:

if the orkeosaurus takes a crit during the engagement, then rampages into BTB with another unit, this is after the countercharge phase so I would play that it does not drag the second formation in, and any units it kills from the second formation do not count for combat resolution. If the combat rolloff is even, and a second round is fought then the second unit would count and get to CC/FF as if the orkeosaurus had countercharged a second time between rounds

in the case where the orkeosaurus takes a crit then rampages 16cm away, you would still rolloff because the beast took part in the assault, so the assault did not stall, although I'm not sure what happens if the rolloff is a tie and the orkeosaurus refuses to countercharge so is now out of range.... probably rolloff a second time....

in your example of dismounting, 1.13.2 from the rules states that you must completely resolve the assault or shooting before checking if the formation is broken, I read that as make hits, roll resolution, apply further hits, remove casualties, THEN mark them as broken, so in your example you would roll the resolution and apply the hit to the orkeosaurus, killing it, you then roll your dismount saves, and any survivors THEN become broken and must withdraw
Agreed on the last one, they are broken after all extra hits are completely resolved.

Think i would also play it that making contact with a new formation doesn't drag them in until the next round (ie treat it similarly to a countercharge).

To address the question of support fire when an orkeosaurus moves during the engagement, I would say that you do it exactly as normal. That is, anything that is now in range of the orkeosaurus can support fire on it (because it was directly involved in the assault), and supporting ork formations can still support fire on any enemy that was directly involved even after the orkeosaurus moves away from them.

A related question I suppose is, does the crit wording address whether the dino can barge when it moves away? ie bring the enemy units that are already in base to base with it?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:11 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Norto wrote:
So im guess a crit and then randomly run out of 15cm thats it no support fire? and roll off unless they assaulted and they auto lose the assault.

Anything that rolled a CC or FF attack is a valid target for support hits. So anything with a valid LoF and within 15cm of these units (after all crit movement) can use their support fire.

Quote:
Say if it assaults me and i crit it. and it runs into another formation of mine and b2b it (even if it kills what it b2b from the macro hit), does this drag my new formation into the assault but it dosnt get to CC as we roll at the same time? So now i can get extra numbers for free?

It does not drag the formation in, as Kyuss says. Also no to CC attacks, as those already happened and you're saving the hits now.

Quote:
how about if ive killed it and still roll up a crit and it runs out of the assault range. runs out then unloads?

Units can disembark at the end of a move. Since the Orkeosaurus doesn't die until after the crit's move I'd say things on it could disembark.

Quote:
here another 1 for me not knowing the rules and thought id ask why im going. say if i assault a Orkeosaurus. leave it on 1 DC then beat it by 1 in the assault so it dies as its the closest. Now every1 inside has to take an armour save getting out. and if 5 die thats 5 blasts after being broken so now its 5 extra dead from broken and taking blasts?

Yep, good luck getting that to happen though.

Blog

NetEA Tournament Pack Website

Squats 2019-10-17

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:13 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Kyrt wrote:
A related question I suppose is, does the crit wording address whether the dino can barge when it moves away? ie bring the enemy units that are already in base to base with it?

No, you can only barge when you charge or counter-charge.

Blog

Squats 2019-10-17

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:20 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Hey dave thanks too.

What i was saying if you assault and kill off its last dc you still roll for crits and resolve them yeah and runs off and unloads even though its dead?

And the last 1 ive got 2 different answers now?

Last edited by Norto on Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:23 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

And hey kyrt

It says its stops and and that unit takes a macro hit. So if your CCing it im guess all takes the hits?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:31 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Norto wrote:
And the last 1 ive got 2 different answers now?

hey this is taccomms man..... it would be weird if you got a single answer everyone agreed on right away.... ;)

I still think I'm right, all the hackdowns and stuff happen as part of resolving the assault

....and here comes dptdexys to tell me I'm wrong....

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:33 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

You roll crit every time a WE looses a DC. Even it it goes to 0 you still roll and resolve the effect (assuming it's not resolved in the end phase).

Kyuss is right, you don't break until after the hack down hits. So the failed saves for disembarking wouldn't be on a broken formation.

Quote:
It says its stops and and that unit takes a macro hit. So if your CCing it im guess all takes the hits?

No, only the unit stopping the movement. Roll the scatter die and find the one closest to that vector.

Blog

Squats 2019-10-17

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:03 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Sweet thanks for this. Got these dinos first up at cancon. Going to roll me so crits.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:21 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

If in close combat/FF you take a couple wounds off the Orkasaurus which fail to crit, and the units on board did not dismounted at all during the close combat. The Orkasaurus had DC removed previously, and now it is down to 1 wound. Combat resolution is made and the orks lose by 2. The ork player can simply remove 2 Gretchin/ Grots mounted onboard the Orkasaurus from the 2 blast markers, as these units are still part of the formation and as a bonus are also expendable. Yes the Ork formation is broken, and moves away 30cm. This could save the formation and take them out of trouble behind other ork formations. I could also use other Orkasaurus (WE) to block Line if site for non skimmer units, and protect the wounded Orkasaurus.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:47 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Deb wrote:
If in close combat/FF you take a couple wounds off the Orkasaurus which fail to crit, and the units on board did not dismounted at all during the close combat. The Orkasaurus had DC removed previously, and now it is down to 1 wound. Combat resolution is made and the orks lose by 2. The ork player can simply remove 2 Gretchin/ Grots mounted onboard the Orkasaurus from the 2 blast markers, as these units are still part of the formation and as a bonus are also expendable.

No, you can't, hackdown hits are applied exactly as hits in combat/shooting would be, as the units embarked did not participate, hits cannot be assigned to them before being assigned to the orkeosaurus, you cannot have it both ways! if you want to assign hackdown hits to the infantry then they must dismount when engaging/countercharging

From the rulebook (emphasis mine)

Rulebook 1.12.5 wrote:
Each player allocates the hits and make saving throws in the same manner as they would when allocating hits from shooting

Rulebook 1.12.7 wrote:
Remove these additional casualties as you would for hits inflicted in the assault itself

If for example an orkeosaurus had 2DC remaining and 3 stands of orks embarked, if it lost the combat by 3, the first two hackdown hits would go on the orkeosaurus, killing it, then the embarked troops would get jumpout saves, then any non-fearless survivors would have the remaining hackdown hit(s) applied to them

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:53 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Well, i would say that the saves on the infantry from the transport being destroyed happen after the hackdown hits are made on both the transport and the infantry, as allocating goes first for all and resolving the hits later and each stage happen at the same time for all the units, except for FS, MW or TK hits, but agree on the rest.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:11 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I would be unloading the orks from the orkasaurus anyway, so as to inflikt as much payne onto da spiky pointy eared elvzaz. Enemy need 12 stands to stop me unloading my formation, so not hard to unload. I would ava a ton of CC attacks to help da uge squiggy sawrus. Hitting on either 4+ or 3+, plus the saurus's 6 hits and bonus 1 x TK D3 or D3 x MW attacks.

Plus I plan to try and send another Orkasaurus next to the first to give support in engagements.

Whittle the enemy down formation by formation. Gang up on em. Use the boar boyz and junkas as support. Keep an orkasaurus with the Steam gargants in case enemy drop in to urt the BTS, and then kill off the enemies own BTS if I can get 3 or 4 orkasaurus into cc with it.