Login |  Register |  FAQ

Thinking of starting Eldar - Il-Kaithe Craftworld

Post subject: Thinking of starting Eldar - Il-Kaithe Craftworld
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:10 am 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Hi.

I mentioned on other threads that I am wanting to get back into playing EA and painting up my armies. First I wanted to finish my desert camo IG (using either Steel Legion or Minervan Tank Legion lists), my Evil Sunz Orks (using either War Horde or Speed Freaks lists) and my Blood Angels (using Codex Astartes list). Then I would like to start on some Eldar.

I decided a few years back that I wanted to do Il-Kaithe Craftworld. Firstly I wanted to take a Minor Craftworld so that I would have more freedom with any fluff background for my force. Secondly I did nt want to choose any of the Big 5 Major Craftworlds so that I would have complete flexibility as to which Net EA Eldar Army List I used. Thirdly I had a lot of Eldar SHT's, tanks and aircraft that I had bought already basecoated green. Forthly I was intrigued by the Bonesingers and the W40k model Bonesinger was just plain gorgeous. Finally I did like the limited fluff I could find on Il-Kaithe Craftworld

http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Il-Kaithe

Il-Kaithe, meaning "Knowledge of Blood"......"The world-rune of Il-Kaithe, known as the "Helm of Eldanesh," represents the all-seeing helm the Eldar hero Eldanesh received from Asuryan himself"....."but in the end foresaw only his own bloody demise. The rune is a bleak reminder of the price that knowledge can bear and its terrible cost"......"In the endless war against the Dark Gods, the Eldar of Il-Kaithe are a keen and vengeful blade"....."Once, the Craftworld was renowned for the exquisite art of its Bonesingers. Now, these same craftsmen have turned their skills to creating only weapons, and even accompany the warhosts to battle to heal wraith-constructs and Engines of Vaul amid the crack of gunfire"

So given their warlike nature, I think that Il-Kaithe would fit very well with the Biel-Tan Army List, which was the only Approved Net EA Eldar list when I first made my choice back in 2012. And reading various threads on the forum, most people seem to agree that Biel-Tan was a good list for newbies to Eldar to use. But once I got used to Biel-Tan list, it would be easy to morph the army to any of the other Net EA Eldar Army Lists.

So I am looking for a good 3,000 points Biel-Tan list to start with. I'm not after a finely honed tournament list, just one that would be good to start learning to play with Eldar for the first time, and to give me initial painting targets.

I am certainly going to want both a Guardian and an Aspect Warrior Warhost. I want some Wraithguard and Wraithlords (given the Il-Kaithe background fluff) - looks like I will have to add these to Guardian Warhost. And likewise also need Engines of Vaul (Scorpion or Cobra) Troupe. Plus I also want to use Swords of Vaul Troupe, along with some Nightwing Interceptors.

Any other suggestions? Bear in mind that most of my experience playing EA has been fielding IG SL and Ork Warhorde, with occasional use of SM or AMTL. So I know that I am going to find Eldar much more squishy and brittle than the armies I have used so far.

Thanks for any help you can offer to an inexperienced Farseer.

Cheers

James

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Thinking of starting Eldar - Il-Kaithe Craftworld
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:14 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Had a play on Army Forge. How does this sound as a starting point:

Incompertus, 2975 POINTS
Biel-Tan Craftworld (Biel-Tan Craftworld (v4.2))
==================================================

WRAITHGATE [50]

ASPECT WARRIOR WARHOST [600]
4 Dire Avenger, Autarch, Exarch, 4 Wave Serpent, 2 Dark Reaper, 2 Fire Dragon

GUARDIAN WARHOST [475]
Farseer, 7 Guardians, 3 Wraithguards, 3 Wraithlords

GUARDIAN WARHOST [475]
Farseer, 7 Guardians, 3 Wraithguards, 3 Wraithlords

NIGHT SPINNER TROUPE [175]
3 Night Spinners

RANGER TROUPE [100]
4 Ranger

RANGER TROUPE [100]
4 Ranger

SWORDS OF VAUL TROUPE [300]
5 Falcon, Fire Storm

WINDRIDER TROUPE [200]
6 Jetbikes

WINDRIDER TROUPE [200]
6 Jetbikes

NIGHTWINGS [300]
3 Nightwing Interceptors

I have tried to take a mi of figures that I would like to eventually paint up e.g. adding the Wraithguard and Wraithlords to both the Guardian formations. The downside is that it more than triples the cost of Guardian units. But it looks as if it is the only way I can field those two units in Biel-Tan list.

What about Heavy Weapon Platforms and/or Support Weapon Platforms. I know the former are substitution for Guardians and the latter are adding to unit size. Would you take either in a non-mounted Guardian unit?

For the moment I have stayed clear of SHT's (so NO Void Spinner), Titans oe Aircraft other than fighters.
I wanted to get the hang of some of the basic Eldar units first.

Thanks

James

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:31 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

very low on air cover with a single firestorm on the ground, nightwings are ace but can't be everywhere at once..... also quite slow for eldar, the guardians and wraithguard are typically preferable as a tough BTS, I'd swap the second formation out for mechanised guardians

the big weakness of the Biel-Tan list is only having the supreme commander available to frontline engagement units which exposes him a great deal, as the focus of your list is not around big aspect formations or void spinners, why not look at ulthwe or iyanden instead? the iyanden list will let you take formations of wraithguard and preserve all your other unit choices

NetEA Red Corsairs Army Champion

My hobby/painting threads

Army Forge List Co-ordinator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:22 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

I've been fooling around with a Wrathgate deployment army:

http://traitor-legion.appspot.com/choos ... 3~31x2~520

Gotta keep the Storm Serpents protected.

Blog

NetEA Tournament Pack Website

Squats 2019-10-17

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:06 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

kyussinchains wrote:
very low on air cover with a single firestorm on the ground, nightwings are ace but can't be everywhere at once..... also quite slow for eldar, the guardians and wraithguard are typically preferable as a tough BTS, I'd swap the second formation out for mechanised guardians

the big weakness of the Biel-Tan list is only having the supreme commander available to frontline engagement units which exposes him a great deal, as the focus of your list is not around big aspect formations or void spinners, why not look at ulthwe or iyanden instead? the iyanden list will let you take formations of wraithguard and preserve all your other unit choices

I went with Biel-Tan as I had seen it receomended for newcomers to Eldar as the most flexible list, an also the most stable as been around the longest having been featured in Swordwind.

Re Firestorms, I am not sure how many I have, if any. I might have to proxy initially. I have posted up in Trades section and saved a search on ebay for them, so I might be able to pick up a blister of Firestorms eventually.

Re Guardians, happy to swap out one of the them for a mechanised Guardians Warhost. At 350 points versus 475, that will save me an extra 125 points, giving me 150 points to spend in total.

Thanks

James

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:14 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Dave wrote:
I've been fooling around with a Wrathgate deployment army:

http://traitor-legion.appspot.com/choos ... 3~31x2~520

Gotta keep the Storm Serpents protected.

I quite like that list.

But I don't have many of the new EA Eldat SHT's. I have lost my old spreadsheets when my old laptop died.
I don't know if I have any Storm Serpents (Ot Void Spinners).

What I have is quite a few of the E40k era Cobras and Scorpions.

Is the Autarch with the Warp Spiders because of the 4+ armour save? I presume as BTS (and SC) that trying to protect him as much as possible?

Thanks

James

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:47 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

A Scorpion with a Falcon turret on a it and a bit of a Wrathgate model would go a long ways towards a Storm Serpent conversion. You might be able to rig something up for a Void Spinner in a similar manner, figuring out how to get 3 Night Spinner guns on there would likely be the hardest part.

The 4+ and First Strike, with it being on the unit that means the Autarch's extra attacks are First Strike too.

Blog

NetEA Tournament Pack Website

Squats 2019-10-17

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:01 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

James I have a Stormserpent that isn't painted that I could be parted from. However I find that taking two is the only way to guarantee that you get your alpha strike off.

NetEA Ork + Feral Ork + Speed Freak Champion

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:49 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

For a webway list l tend to take two plus the wraithgate. You can get away with less if you are losing other forms of transport in too, it's just less points efficient.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:55 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Tiny-Tim wrote:
James I have a Stormserpent that isn't painted that I could be parted from. However I find that taking two is the only way to guarantee that you get your alpha strike off.

Oh thanks Tim.

What armies are you working on at the moment. I might have something to trade.

Thanks

James

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:56 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Kyrt wrote:
For a webway list l tend to take two plus the wraithgate. You can get away with less if you are losing other forms of transport in too, it's just less points efficient.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cheers Kyrt. I guess it's good to have redundancy.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:00 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

In my experience, Eldar armies need to have redundancy for those formations that are key to the intended strategy.

Here, two SS (+ Wraithgate) are mandatory for this strategy. The SS are bullet magnets, so initially need to be well hidden and protected by AA until you use them. Used as Singleton EoV formations to deliver two strong assaults, the main issue is that the strategy tends to split the army into two parts, so you need to choose remaining formations and tactics carefully to ensure that they support the strategy.

With three 'gates you should have two plans, one assuming that the SS survive to deliver thier assaults, and the other assuming that at least SS is destroyed. Always keep the SS supporting each other. Note SS also have reasonable anti-armour capabilities which come into their own once the off-table forces have arrived.

Finally there is some Synergy with a single Vampire-borne formation (just possibly using a second Vampire to recover it). This whole strategy implies at least 2-3 Falcon / Firestorm formations for AA; and this means you have already identified 10-11 formations. . .

As a consequence of the above, this is one of the harder Eldar strategies to pull off, because you are relying on the successful placement and operation of a large number of formations.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:45 am 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Ginger wrote:
In my experience, Eldar armies need to have redundancy for those formations that are key to the intended strategy.

Here, two SS (+ Wraithgate) are mandatory for this strategy. The SS are bullet magnets, so initially need to be well hidden and protected by AA until you use them. Used as Singleton EoV formations to deliver two strong assaults, the main issue is that the strategy tends to split the army into two parts, so you need to choose remaining formations and tactics carefully to ensure that they support the strategy.

With three 'gates you should have two plans, one assuming that the SS survive to deliver thier assaults, and the other assuming that at least SS is destroyed. Always keep the SS supporting each other. Note SS also have reasonable anti-armour capabilities which come into their own once the off-table forces have arrived.

Finally there is some Synergy with a single Vampire-borne formation (just possibly using a second Vampire to recover it). This whole strategy implies at least 2-3 Falcon / Firestorm formations for AA; and this means you have already identified 10-11 formations. . .

As a consequence of the above, this is one of the harder Eldar strategies to pull off, because you are relying on the successful placement and operation of a large number of formations.

Well I did put starting Eldar in the title and mentioned a couple of times that wanted a starting list as a newcomer to Eldar and wainted a starting point. If the above strategy is one of the harder Eldar ones to pull off, what is an easier one?

Remember - I am not looking for tournament winning army. Just an army to start playing in friendly games against friends and other club members. Can you suggest anything?

Thanks

James

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:26 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Ha, that is probably a case of personal preference :D
The great joy of the Biel Tan is that they can be used in so many ways. The trick is to find the one that suits your personality.

One of the simpler armies is based around a Warlock, using it to initiate and support assaults in turn #2. Equally an airborne assault army based around 2-3 Vampires and possibly a teleporting formation of Swooping Hawks can also work. IMO There are three key elements in Eldar list design
  • Generally 3k armies cannot support two different strategies, though you may need alternative plans to cater for circumstances. Build in redundant formations that are key to the strategy
  • Always take an Avatar in an Aspect formation unless you are working with a 'pop-corn' army of 14+ formations. Keep the reroll to cover key activations.
  • Always aim for 11+ activations (counting infantry in a Vampire as 1.5), and usually you will be able to use the later activations in the first turn to build up for turn #2

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:06 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

James

You might like this -

Biel-Tan Craftworld (Biel-Tan Craftworld (v4.2))
==================================================

ASPECT WARRIOR WARHOST [400]
Exarch, Autarch, 8 Shining Spear

ASPECT WARRIOR WARHOST [350]
2 Exarch, 8 Warp Spider

GUARDIAN WARHOST [300]
Farseer, 4 Guardians, 3 Heavy Weapon Platform, 3 Wraithguards

GUARDIAN WARHOST [300]
Farseer, 4 Guardians, 3 Heavy Weapon Platform, 3 Wraithguards

SWORDS OF VAUL TROUPE [295]
3 Fire Prism, 2 Fire Storm

SWORDS OF VAUL TROUPE [250]
3 Falcon, 2 Fire Storm

ENGINE OF VAUL TROUPE [250]
Storm Serpent

Scorpion

Scorpion

NIGHTWINGS [300]
3 Nightwing Interceptors

WRAITHGATE [50]

I think it covers off on your 'wants' - not really 'tournament winning' though. I'd post some pictures of my Void Spinners and Storm Serpents built off E40K era Cobra hulls, but they're not handy. I built them way, way, way back when the list was being developed. But basically (as previously suggested), I put a Falcon turret on a Cobra hull, and managed to mount three web Spinner 'armaments' on a Web Spinner turret on a Cobra hull. I then scratch built new 'Firestorm' turrets for the Falcons and Web Spinners I used to create the EoVs. I never replaced my EoVs...I've only got 16 of the E40K versions ;D

It does cost you a couple of activations, but replacing the two Scorpions and the Storm Serpent with a single formation including two Cobras and a Storm Serpent is pretty neat to. Both the Cobras and the Storm Serpent want to be well forward, and it makes for a 'fairly' decent BTS...with AA....not your SC....and templates...and a solid gate that is difficult to break/destroy!

Regards

Harry