Login |  Register |  FAQ

WE/Transport BTS question.

Post subject: Re: WE/Transport BTS question.
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:35 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Deb wrote:

so if the DEDICATED transport is both a Bomber and a War Engine and it leaves the table after deploying units on an unguarded objective. In a bombing run in a later turn it gets destroyed, do the units from the formation it was purchased from get affected by Blast markers when this happens?

If it were the BTS objective when purchased - say a Slavebringer Assault Boat and 4 Talos Pain Engines purchased as a Formation, does the enemy get the BTS for destroying only the ground component, or do they have to destroy both the Talos and the Slavebringer?

The Net EA Dark Eldar states the following:-

Quote:
The Slavebringer is an independent war engine that must be assigned to a specific Dark Eldar formation during army creation.

It looks to me as though they have tried to get around having the Slavebringer as part of the 1/3 WE allowance by including it in with transport options.
It looks like it is intended to act as a normal WE/AC but has to be allocated to the formation that it was purchased for until it drops them off .
If players want to class the 2 formations as 1 formation then Im afraid the Slavebringer would not be able to leave the table without taking the Talos with it as that would mean the conerency rules would be broken and units out of formation would be destroyed.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:47 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thank Krom for that.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:27 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

dptdexys wrote:
If players want to class the 2 formations as 1 formation then Im afraid the Slavebringer would not be able to leave the table without taking the Talos with it as that would mean the conerency rules would be broken and units out of formation would be destroyed.

- - - Or the Talos would be restricted from moving away from the landed transport

And if the Talos move back onto the transport, that effectively occurs in the following turn, leaving both formations highly vulnerable to counter-attacks.

Either way, this is definitely not recommended for the BTS ;D

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:29 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

OK, good that is all now clear to me.

However this does make list building for my Daark Eldar a little tricky then.

I want to avoid having my Ravager - Kabal Flortillas as the BTS, and usually I have between 2 and 3 set up identically with 6 Ravagers led by a Sybarite - 375 points. I had thought that if I purchased a Kalabite Syndicate or Coterie formation and replaced their transports with Barges of Pleasure (war engines that hold 4 infantry units), that the formation would become the new BTS.

From what I now understand from feedback, the cost of the 2 barges is considered separate to cost of the Kalabite Syndicate or Coterie led by an Archon. 300 points with a separate cost of 125 points or 250 points for the barges.

This means I have to include either the Tormentor Titan or 2 Vesssels of pain in a Heavy Barge formation at (500 points) as my BTS or risk having the enemy being able to take out any one flotilla formation.

I could add a Dracon to a Flotilla for another 25 points, and try and shield that formation, but that would be wasting 400 points of firepower, and usually makes list building harder as I find I can not get another 25 points to spend on something.

Damn.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:49 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The Barges are bought as upgrades to the kabal so they do count as the same unit...
That is pretty clear to me anyways.

"You have a right to be offended" - Steve Hughes
"Your feelings are hurting my thoughts" - Aron Flam

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:48 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

The rules don't explicitly state that the Raiders and/or Barges are part of the formation, but they are. Most transport rules dance around that.

The rule I've tried to stick to in the TP is that upgrades have a "+" in front of their cost, while formations do not.

Blog

NetEA Tournament Pack Website

Squats 2019-10-17

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:53 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Ok, as several of us have said, it does not make sense for any air-transport to be counted as part of a ground formation.

So while I understand the intention to get a player to buy the air transport as an upgrade, the list needs to be changed to say that this is nevertheless a separate formation.