Login |  Register |  FAQ

Dealing with the blue-faced Space Commies.....

Post subject: Re: Dealing with the blue-faced Space Commies.....
PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 7:58 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Could you post a couple of examples of your own lists please?

That 3rd phase army is interesting; I've rarely seen Tau without Piranha skimmers, and lack of scouts would have to be an issue for it. So is the fact the Supreme Commander is almost certainly off the table in an orca at the start.

Interesting to note it's long range firepower is good but not great. Railhead hammerheads are good vs Leman Russes, but in reality you match them for range, to hit values and both tanks save on 4s - in other words, LR are about as good as killing Railheads as vice versa.
The key for you might be to include some artillery to get the first hits in, and force him to come to you instead of waiting for you to trundle across the field.

Force the blue-faced Space Commies to commit, then massacre them. :D

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 9:55 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

My usual list is something like this at the moment. I'm currently revising some of my choices but recently it's been

Reg HQ
Mech Inf
Tank Company + hydra
Inf Comp + inf platoon + FS platoon (blitz n arty guard)
Arty Battery (bassies but probably gonna be Manticores)
2 x Rough Riders
2 x Hydra batteries
2 x Thunderbolt squadrons
Sentinels

I've been a bit light on long range fire since I've dropped the Shadowswords but the spacecraft was making them a turn one liability.

It's the markerlights that seem to be making the difference. My russes usually only last until an advance from fusionheads from behind cover markerlights them and shreds a few with 4 3+ macro attacks 6 5+ seekers and then a retain from hammerheads to hit with 4 2+ Lance and 4 more seekers usually does for my tanks.

And crisis suits eat my Mech inf for breakfast without markerlights.

Sent from my 4027X using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:17 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Split your artillery up into 2 or 3 units (much more efficient and threatening than one large battery), add hydras to tank formations (units of 3 are extremely breakable!), put the Shadowsword(s) back in but start in cover (every little bit helps vs spaceship shots), use the thuderbolts to CAP vs orcas or hit light vehicle scout skimmers if he's not running aircraft, and I think you will find you have a much easier game vs Tau.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 12:18 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I just wanted to let you guys know that I ran my first squadron of (proxied) Vultures last night against a Space Marine list and I'm very impressed! Wiping out a Land Raider formation in turn one and then being annoying on the flank until a late-game Blitz run. I may have to re-jig my painting queue for a unit of these.

The Manticores managed to gut the best part of a Tactical formation once they were out their Rhinos and the formation never really recovered from the 8 BMs.

Thanks for the help everyone I'm looking forward to the next game against the Tau. It's been postponed until Wednesday night but I'll try and get a batrep out of it. I'm thinking of a list along the lines of

Incompertus, 3000 POINTS
Steel Legion (Epic UK v15022013)
==================================================

REGIMENTAL HQ [500]
Supreme Commander, 12 Infantry, 7 Chimera

ARTILLERY BATTERY [250]
3 Manticores

ARTILLERY BATTERY [250]
3 Basilisks

TANK COMPANY [700]
9 Leman Russ, Vanquisher, Hydra

MECHANISED INFANTRY COMPANY [400]
Commander, 12 Infantry, 7 Chimera

SUPER-HEAVY TANK PLATOON [200]
Shadowsword

VULTURE SQUADRON [300]
4 Vultures

FLAK BATTERY [150]
3 Hydra

THUNDERBOLT FIGHTERS [150]
2 Thunderbolts

SENTINEL SQUADRON [100]
4 Sentinels

What do you guys think? I'm confident that I should be able to deal with the worst of the fusionheads turn one while the infantry and tanks deal with the fire warriors. The railheads aren't that scary when they're without markerlights. And hopefully the crisis suits will be tempted to hit my artillery rather than my russes or my poor supreme commander.

The list I posted previously had a battery of 3 Basilisks rather than a company sorry I should have been clearer.

Thanks for all the help guys, hopefully a batrep to follow

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:20 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

That looks good. I'd personally make both artillery batteries into Manticores (see if he'll let you proxy :D) but it looks pretty solid. It's definitely the sort of thing that worries my own Tau army.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:15 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I think I'm too much of a traditionalist to leave home without at least one battery of bassies as to me they're as iconic to guard as russes (even if my whole army is non-GW figures) it's just a shame that barring bad dice the manticores are so much better for the same points.

Proxying isn't a problem for us as we started playing EA with cardboard counters before we all got inspired to build armies almost simultaneously :)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:03 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Just a quick thanks to everyone for the tips and pointers. Had a game on Monday against the thrice cursed tau which went much better thanks guys.

Manticores broke one of his fusionhead formations turn one and the other artillery mangled the other. By the time he'd managed to shift his units from the unbattered flank to the threatened one I had both mech infantry companies encamped on the objectives having evicted the kroot and fire warriors. Once they'd taken the positions and got the kettle on there was no shifting them.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:13 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Nice.

Now, we'll just wait for you to win a few more games against your friend before he pops up a post asking for help 'Dealing with the pink-faced Space Capitalists.....'

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 12:04 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Nice one, your revised list looks a lot like the guard list I ran a few times last year. I found it pretty solid, main weakness was the lack of warhounds for speed, prep and sneaky objective grabbing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk