Login |  Register |  FAQ

Stormhammers for Minervan

Post subject: Stormhammers for Minervan
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:16 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Stormhammers seem like one of the stronger units for Minervan. I cracked some numbers and compared Stormhammer's anti-infantry ability to Exterminators for AP power / points cost. Exterminators are only 11% more efficient than Stormhammers at 30 cm range and 17% more efficient at 45 cm range without counting critical hit effect of Stormhammer. If each Stormhammer battlecannon gets single target for critical hit effect ability (, it would brings their power roughly to Exterminator status. With two or more targets for critical hit effect, Stormhammers are more efficient than Exterminators at AP.

When comparing to Exterminator, Stormhammer has these features in addition to great raw power.
1) Cheaper squadron cost making some 11 activation builds possible (Example build: 9 superheavies, 2 deathstrikes, 4 hydras, 8 salamanders, 2 warhounds, 4 thunderbolts).
2) In a list with pure superheavy armored companies, we have the option of making Shadowsword squadron our BtS.
3) Large amount of AoE weapons forces opponents to use loose formations. I'm sure there are ways to exploit that.

I'm a new at epic. Am I missing something about Stormhammers? Or are we only seeing zero Stormhammers because of availability?

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Stormhammers for Minervan
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:11 am 
Purestrain
Purestrain

I'm not a minervan player, but:
Stormhammer probably competes more with other SHT than they do with russ exterminators. The other SHT have special roles (TK, MW, barrage) and the baneblade has more main gun range (+a wider ranger of other weapons).

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:59 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Mostly availability, I think. I never leave home without them. Most of your points are right on the mark; loose formations enable clipping attacks, where a smaller formation can win an engagement with a larger on by positioning to have only a portion of the enemy units in combat.

Apoc is correct that Stormhammers compete for SHT slots and not directly with the MBTs; I generally use them as FF units, much like their smaller cousins.

The Snub Battlecannon don't have a Critical Hit Effect. Looking at the Compendium, I suspect you mean the 5cm explosion which is the effect if a crit occurs against the Stormhammer.

Ghost's Paint Blog, where everything goes that isn't something else.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:09 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Yeah not sure what you mean about the critical hit. That's ON the SHT, not the targets they fire on. Incidentally all the SHTs have the same crit hit effect.

SG, can't remember when you bounced out for RL but the compendium is basically a vestigial thing now (why we keep it on the website is a mystery to me). You'll likely want to burn it and just use the TP from now on, mate.

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list
-Help me make Whitescars not suck!