Login |  Register |  FAQ

Making Orks Work

Post subject: Making Orks Work
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:15 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

neal, i play a bad moonz themed army in 40k, as well as a krooked moonz orc tribe in fantasy. i love the fluff for the bad moonz and im interested in keeping that flow if i start epic orks. so your saying the epic orcs CAN be shooty and competative? in 40k i run alot of shoota boyz, and what they lack in ability to actually hit they make up for in simple mass of fire. is it like that in epic?

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:01 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

To a limited extent that's the case but I'd say it's more a matter of being shootiER rather than truly shooty.  I lean towards stuff with firepower and FF options but nothing in the Ork army is really good at shooting except Oddboyz.

For Warbands, mounting them makes them a lot more flexible and shooty.  A double move can put them in firing range over huge portions of the board, even with 30cm range.  The Wagonz have more firepower per unit and higher FF as well.

Walker Warbands are a shootier option.  Adding Kanz, Dreads and Stompas boost firepower and FF.  They can go most places the boyz can with Walker ability and they provide mobile cover for the boyz if you have to move out of cover.  They are slow but they can garrison.

Big Gun Warbands can work as well.  Building a mob with the standard Warband and add Big Gunz units as Extras.  This is more expensive than a Gunzmob, but has obvious advantages as far as making the mob much more durable.  FF5+ Gunz and Grots can make for a pretty solid FF formation.  This plays like a tough Gunzmob with a bit shorter range.

If you're playing with the NetEA Tourney mods, Big/Uge Stompa Mobz can pack some serious firepower.  9 units with 3 Big Gunz each and FF4+ for 575 is pretty shooty for Orks.

Soopagunz and SupaZzap gunz are huge boosts to Ork firepower.  In fact, I really thought they should have gotten a price increase for the NetEA Tournament Mods, but I relented because there are a substantial number of people who disagree.  For 50 points, you roughly triple the amount of firepower from a 125 point Gunzmob or a 150 point Blitz Brigade.  If you want to go shooty, then always max out all the Oddboyz slots you have.

The heighth of shooty Orks, imho, is the Zzap Popcorn list - lots of single Gunzmobz and single Blitz Brigades with Zzaps.  They break like crazy but there are so many that some of them always rally.  Against armies with smaller unit counts like Marines or Eldar they are nasty.  You can also mix in some Soopas, but I really think Soopas go better in pairs while Zzaps work better in singles and buying Big formations dilutes the popcorn aspect.

As far as tactics, the trick is trying to get Orks coordinated.  There are two basic combos that strongly amplify their firepower.  They work for everyone, but they are more important for Orks trying a shooty style than, say, IG.

1) Double move to support an assault, so you get ranged fire plus FF shots.
2)  Double move near the end of turn to position for Sustained Fire the beginning of the following turn.

This is from the article:
Bad Moons Tactics

While this is not a tactical article, the fact is that Bad Moon armies differ from typical Ork armies and I think a brief note about making them work is in order.

Bad Moons are still a horde army and still very good at attrition style tactics but their more expensive upgrades means they tend to field smaller numbers of units.  The trade off for these smaller numbers is a significant increase in ranged fire and firefight ability.  Basically, the Bad Moons are just shootier than other clans.

The challenge of using Ork ranged fire is their 3+ initiative.  With a -1 activation if the formation has BMs, it is quite risky to attempt any actions except those that grant the +2 Waagh bonus to activation.  Obviously, the Waagh actions of Engage and Double Move make it somewhat difficult to capitalize on ranged firepower.

The best way to avoid the pitfalls of failed firing activations is to maneuver within firing range in one action, then attempt Sustained Fire on the next action.  That way if you fail the activation you lose only the +1 for sustained and can still fire normally at the target (minus the suppression for the BM gained for failing activation, of course).

Another option for shooty orks allows you to take advantage of the shootier nature of the Bad Moons while also using the advantages of the Waagh special rule.  Use a Double Move action to move within firefight support range (15cm) and fire at the target formation.  Assault the target with a second formation, taking advantage of the unusually good (for Orks) FF values of the supporting formation.

Quite naturally, these tactics requires some advance planning and set up on the part of the Ork player.  I’m not making the claim these are easy tactics to employ but with a bit of practice they work well.  It will definitely startle your opponent when a formation of Orks who “can’t shootâ€Â

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:22 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

how do gargants fit into all this? obviosuly i want to add some of them.

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 10:07 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I like the Great Gargant. It is fantastic for assaults (I have learnt to always apply the CC weapon load-out!) and whats more is the FF support from heaven. One of two tactics I like is to wade into the middle of the enemy army. The other is to place both enemy objectives next to each other and double up between them, looking grand :)

I find (two) supa guns go best in big big gunz mobs and zapps in the 'zap/flak brigades' (2 flak wagons, in front to take kills, 1 zap to kill stuff and 1 gunwagon in the rear to take the supression and allow the zap to still fire, big mobs double this and so on).

General Plumer, 191x

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:12 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Moved to the Tactics forum.