Login |  Register |  FAQ

Space Marine tactics

Post subject: Space Marine tactics
PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 8:08 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Personally I always try for having the SC and the BTS seperate as otherwise it gets into an even more temping target.

General Plumer, 191x

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:12 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote: (The_Real_Chris @ 30 May 2009, 22:08 )

Personally I always try for having the SC and the BTS seperate as otherwise it gets into an even more temping target.

Well when you add an SC you get a pretty expensive formation as well and it's kinda hard for me to swallow paying for two of them.

Unless I'm taking a Reaver or a Warlord :D

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:21 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

If I take a SC it's always the BTS, it seems more fluffy to me and dashed unsporting not to have him lead from the front.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 3:00 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

So today i had my first use of marine scouts with the sniper upgrade, i find my self  a bit of a hung jury in regards to the 50 point investment for the sniper abilty, i can say in all honesty the gratification of picking out weird boys and nobz  over stinky  worthless gretchin was more than satisfying , but intrested as to what other people think of if its woth the 50 point cost or to put that into another area of the army.

Also i have recently been using T-Hawks with tac marines and a dread and just FF targets and having  a pretty job result  for the points cost, i never  used to been a huge user of tac formations but the more i use them the more i find they have such a diverse use and gritiness to them that they hang about so long.

Intrested in feed back on these 2 issues as im trying to opt for more of a infantry based marine army at the moment rather than the more vechile based lists i see posted alot.

Cheers

Tim  NZ

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 4:28 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Tim

As you refer to 'sniper' upgrade for 50 points (and you come from the Antipodes), I presume you are using "the Handbook". Giving all four scout marines 'sniper' is both more playable and more sensible that the +25 to upgrade one stand, and IIRC was universally accepted (well, all but JJ anyway :sigh: ). I would agree that it is just about worth +50 as you should get 1-2 hits to be allocated as you desire.

Adding a single Dreadnought to the Tacticals is a bit of a mixed blessing because it both reduces the formations strategic deployment options (you cannot really march on if needed) but worse, it allows AT fire to target the formation. IMHO it is not really effective; you have robbed the Tacs of their transport but not really provided an effective alternative.

IMHO a better option is to put 2x Dreadnoughts with Devastators which still get the same deployment options as the Tacticals while improving their AT firepower; or to add 2x Dreadnoughts to Terminators to boost their CC assault with similar deployment options. Note they also provide cover in both cases.

Vitai lampada
Sir Hemry Newbolt

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:33 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

thats some good feed back, and i neve thought about the option of exposing the tacs to AT fire with the dreadnought Upgrade.

thank you for the input.

Tim  NZ

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:10 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Terminators with dreadnoughts sounds like a pretty crappy idea, because you can neither teleport them nor deploy via Thunderhawk. It becomes only usable with a landing craft.

Well yeah, you can garrison them. But that's... kinda suboptimal.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:00 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Apart from being a 'fluffy' representation of the 1st company (or so I am led to believe), adding Dreadnoughts to termies does several things:-
  • In a Landing Craft and with a Chaplain, you have a huge assault beast that on average should generate ~4.3 MW hits and ~5-6.3 normal hits. Very good against RA targets like tanks or even titans. Any hits received can be applied to the RA elements in the formation with more chance of saving (and so winning the resolution)
  • It adds numbers for assault resolution and TSKNF
  • With CC dreads, you add two more MW attacks; one of each means they can also garrison and deny the enemy access to a significant part of the battlefield and they shoot quite well.
  • They also provide cover, making it harder to shoot the termies. However they also allow AT fire to hit the formation, so must be deployed carefully (preferably in or behind cover)

So, while I agree that this formation has limited deployment options, they are quite good options.

Vitai lampada
Sir Hemry Newbolt

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:59 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Quote: (Tim_the_titan @ 07 Jun. 2009, 15:00 )

So today i had my first use of marine scouts with the sniper upgrade, i find my self  a bit of a hung jury in regards to the 50 point investment for the sniper abilty, i can say in all honesty the gratification of picking out weird boys and nobz  over stinky  worthless gretchin was more than satisfying , but intrested as to what other people think of if its woth the 50 point cost or to put that into another area of the army.

Actually, I'd use Sniper to specifically target the Grots.  Grots are extremely valuable in assaults.  If you kill the grots, then the mob becomes vulnerable to FF, which is a great way to break really large mobz.

Also i have recently been using T-Hawks with tac marines and a dread and just FF targets and having  a pretty job result  for the points cost, i never  used to been a huge user of tac formations but the more i use them the more i find they have such a diverse use and gritiness to them that they hang about so long.

You could also do Devs + 2 Dreads.  Same price, FF results are similar, one less unit, but more firepower for any follow on action.