Login |  Register |  FAQ

Welcome to the new board

Post subject: Welcome to the new board
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:49 pm 
Swarm Tyrant
Swarm Tyrant

It was pointed out to me recently (in site terms, just before the recent connection problems!) that while we are all fans of the game and while the general opinion is that EA is one of the most tactically interesting GW game out there, we dont actually have a forum for discussing tactics!

My response was "D'Oh" swiftly followed by putting this to the mod team who pretty much all responded that it was so obvious we wondered why it had not come up before.

So.... Here it is!
Enjoy.
:blues:

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:21 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Should the various "starter army" threads go here, or stay in general discussion?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:03 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Moving them here and making them sticky would be helpful I think.

Blog

NetEA Tournament Pack Website

Squats 2019-10-17

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:34 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Good call! :smile:

I've always thought it pretty barmy that it's not had one before, like most of other similar forums, but never quite got round to asking.

Should be particualry helpful for new players, but good for everyone really.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:36 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Perhaps the Army Champs could be encouraged to post up a tactics article for their army(s)?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:58 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

That would be very interesting!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:08 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

It could also potentially benefit them too, should a player read their article and perhaps become tempted to give the army a try, which they otherwise might not have considered.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:45 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I think that this is a very good idea, as not only will it help to centralise tactical discussions, and help out new players with strategies, but it will also help players who carried on playing the Space Marine system for years, have only recently converted to the new rules, and are having problems making the transition in terms of their tactics (yes, I am referring to myself here, but I'm sure there are others in the same boat  :) )

I'm looking forward to reading the contributions to the Eldar tactics section in particular.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:45 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Yeah, you can all thank me for suggesting this. Gifts go on the left, your undying devotion can be filed... Hell, I don't know. Somewhere.

Anyway, as somebody newly getting into the game, is there any chance somebody could put together a "basics" tactica, covering the core concepts of playing strategically in this game? As an example of what I mean, I've read posts about how having more "activations" than your enemy is a good thing, and while I'm assuming this means more formations, and thus more chances to act, I don't know for sure. Also, it'd be good to know HOW it's a good thing.

Basic concepts like that, along with how to employ flanking maneuvers and good methods to set up crossfires... You know, the kind of concepts that in one form or another, all the armies make use of, could make for a pretty damn useful article. I'd certainly appreciate it.

You'd be surprised how many basic concepts that experienced players think of as 'self-evident' facts of the game a new player won't get. For example, from what I've seen in these boards, it's standard practice when making a close combat formation to put something shooty in there to lay down a BM on the target. Without finding it on these boards, It would've taken me months to think up something like that, partly due to my background as a 40k player, where doing something like that would be the height of folly.

To take an example, look at Harlequins in 40k. I defy you to find any sensible Eldar player who will give them a Death Jester. Why? Because ol' skullboy is a shooty bloke, so putting him in a unit meant for close combat is simply a waste of points. That kind of mindset carried over into Epic for me, and if I hadn't thoroughly studied these boards, I'd probably still have it.

So, as advice to anybody giving general advice; it's better to lay out concepts that are so elementary you risk patronizing your readers than to leave out important details that they'll take a long time to figure out on their own.