Login |  Register |  FAQ

Mirali Skyraiders 2.0

Post subject: Mirali Skyraiders 2.0
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:48 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I want to play some 6mm Jungle sci-Fi Warfare. since I already have Tyranids and my Catachan Steel Legion is coming up nicely, I want to use those as a base for a MUCH cooler force, including sci-fi helicopters. Well, now I have several options:

1) Use the Steel Legion List and massive amounts of Storm Troopers and Vultures
Possible, but I would still end up with Mobile Inf and Russes, leading to a Ground force, supported bz these VTOLs.

2) Use the EpicUK Vanaheim List
Possible, but most German players prefer NetEA lists. I quite like the Tyranid list, so this is still a very viable option in the future

3) Use the Catachan Death World, Harakoni Warhawks or Elysian Drop List
All these lists have certain things I dislike.
- Elysians are too much Drop concentrated (hence the name) and I don`t like that style for a Guard army. Also, the normal infantry has heavy Bolters, so I should model them other than my normal Guard. It also contains far too much different infantry types (normals, veterans, storm troopers,..)
The Catachan list is so old, I don't really thik I want to use it. And it is only available in the compendium and doesn`t even have a thread in NetEA Guard forum anymore!
The Harakoni list is even more concentrated on dropping stuff. It is not possible to beef the normal squad up with more than 4 VTOLs AND it mixes troop types everywhere. Thats what put me off the Cadian list - which is funny because I play Orcs where I don't bother having 3-4 different troop types on the table.

4) Use the Mirali Skyraiders List
It has Bunkers and Valkyries? Classic Vietnam theme? Okay, I am hooked. What else? Formations can be made bigger than 5 Valks? I can add some Gunboats to it? it is possible to play with NO "ground troops"? Okay thats it, I am in.

The only problem: The list wasn't updated in about two years. And it is experimental. Anyway, I want to play it. So I made up this army list:

350 Mirali HQ Company
375 Air Cavalry Company
375 Air Cavalry Company
475 Air Cavalry Company plus Fire Support in Valkyrie
450 Air Cavalry Company plus Infantry Platoon in Valkyrie
125 Vulture Slicks
400 Vulture Punisher
300 Vulture
150 Thunderbolts

A bit short on the activation count, but this could be fixed by exchanging the "normal" Vultures with two Artillery formations.

Soo... Feedback? Anyone played this army list so far? Any thoughts about these?

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Mirali Skyraiders 2.0
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:43 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Largo_W wrote:
I want to play some 6mm Jungle sci-Fi Warfare. since I already have Tyranids and my Catachan Steel Legion is coming up nicely, I want to use those as a base for a MUCH cooler force, including sci-fi helicopters. Well, now I have several options:

3) Use the Catachan Death World, Harakoni Warhawks or Elysian Drop List
All these lists have certain things I dislike.
- Elysians are too much Drop concentrated (hence the name) and I don`t like that style for a Guard army. Also, the normal infantry has heavy Bolters, so I should model them other than my normal Guard. It also contains far too much different infantry types (normals, veterans, storm troopers,..)
The Catachan list is so old, I don't really thik I want to use it. And it is only available in the compendium and doesn`t even have a thread in NetEA Guard forum anymore!
The Harakoni list is even more concentrated on dropping stuff. It is not possible to beef the normal squad up with more than 4 VTOLs AND it mixes troop types everywhere. Thats what put me off the Cadian list - which is funny because I play Orcs where I don't bother having 3-4 different troop types on the table.

That's a very cool idea, using an airborne Catachan-Vietnam force :o

But AFAIK, the Cadian list does not mix troops everywhere: it only has two types of infantry, and the list is pretty straightforward: regular infantry and elite infantry (one of my platoons is made up of Catachans).

Konig Armoured Regiment FanList: https://www.tacticalwargames.net/taccmd ... 41#p581941

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:57 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Yeah I don't get your Cadian comparison whatsoever. I'd suggest dropping the upgrades and adding another air cav formation and see how it works. In my experience holding off trying a list because there is not movement simply perpetuates the situation. If you want to see some traction the sure fire way to get it is general posting a batrep. What's even better is to post the initial raw impressions of a first time user and your experience using the list as a newcomer. Nothing like first impressions to help give perspective to a list! :)

As so the MIA (har har) status of the Catachan list, how about asking for a shot at stewarding it? :)

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list
-Help me make Whitescars not suck!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:45 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Cadia hast Whiteshields, Regulars, Kasrkin, Stormtroopers at least. Adding to that Commanders, Psykers, Commissars. I am not sure about Ogryns and Fire Support. Ugh. So 4 types of basic infantry. Meh.

Regarding the list, I asked Kyuss about the Army Forge files, clicking the list will be pretty handy. I think I will cast up some VTOLs and paint some more infantry!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 2:40 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Largo_W wrote:
Cadia hast Whiteshields, Regulars, Kasrkin, Stormtroopers at least. Adding to that Commanders, Psykers, Commissars. I am not sure about Ogryns and Fire Support. Ugh. So 4 types of basic infantry. Meh.

Regarding the list, I asked Kyuss about the Army Forge files, clicking the list will be pretty handy. I think I will cast up some VTOLs and paint some more infantry!

Whiteshields are exactly the same as regulars, and there are no Stormtroopers (Kasrkin double as them) nor Ogryns.

What kind of VTOLs are you going to use?? normal style Valkyries and variants or rotatory wing aircraft??

Konig Armoured Regiment FanList: https://www.tacticalwargames.net/taccmd ... 41#p581941

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:00 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I made my own:
http://www.taccmd.tacticalwargames.net/ ... 3&start=30
I will cast them in pewter.

@Cadia
They are indeed of the same type, but I would at least model them a bit different. To represent them accordingly.
I thought they had both, probably an old list, last time I checked on Cadia is way back in 2011ish. I also recon that there are no Ogryns, so I recon I bashed in a bit too harsh. Also, the mixed formations consisting of normal infantry and Kasrkin are gone - which is a big plus. Overall, I think I could at least try it once :)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:19 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Easy enough by using different based, uniform color, or infantry models
E.G. DiD novan Marines and EW guild centuria

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list
-Help me make Whitescars not suck!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:34 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I did not mean that it would be a problem, just that there is an overhead ;)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:55 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Largo_W wrote:
I made my own:
http://www.taccmd.tacticalwargames.net/ ... 3&start=30
I will cast them in pewter.

Very interesting, I posted a reply on that thread (pewter "at home" or professionally??).