Login |  Register |  FAQ

Smaller Size Games

Post subject: Smaller Size Games
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:17 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi all,

I'm currently looking for a ruleset to play company sized games with that have a bit of tactical depth - I'm basing infantry in fireteams of 3 (or 2 for high tech/well protected adn even 1's for Power Armour types) plus a few support vehicles. I'm using Flames of War style bases, but with only 3 on the base it looks a little looser which suits (in my mind) future warfare. Basically I really like the look of team bases, so now I need rules to back them up!

Does base size matter at all?

How well would Future War Commander handle a game of opposing sides at roughly this scale:

1 HQ stand

4 lightish Infantry fireteams

2 Support Fireteams/heavy weapons teams

3 X APC's

Something else (possibly a tank or a scout unit or whatever).

From looking at army lists I'd guess that's a 400ish points list so I suppose I could bolster it 500. Does FWC handle a 500 point game well or is that too small?

I've just ordered it off Lulu, but won't receive it for a week.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Smaller Size Games
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:07 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

It's a bit small, but not unworkable in fwc. About double that I would say would be minimum.

Have you tried, one pound wargames' mechawar/horizon war, etc. That sounds about perfect for that number of units and if nothing else only costs £3 for rules for mechs, ground troops and air craft (or £1 each.) I've only played it a few times but it was surprisingly deep considering how abstract the rules look at first glance. Imagine a stripped down battle tech which actually flows.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:34 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

^OK cheers - I've been asking this question a lot recently around various places as it's a game size not well catered to, if you're dealing with stands of infantry, as opposed to the upper end of 'skirmish' games. I've not heard of these before so worth a look.

Surprisingly I really enjoyed Nordic Weasel's Company Commander in Space, although that's very heavily infantry focused and doesn't have points (which I quite enjoy).

So what's the make up of a basic 1,000 pts lightly armoured grunt army in FWC? Let's say all with APC's which I assume carry 2 fireteams -

HQ

10 infantry plus 5 transports
4 support plus 2 transports.
2-3 tanks?

I know this is very vague (sorry!) as it depends on troop quality etc but just gauging how well this will work for me.

Appreciate it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:04 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

To be honest I haven't played fwc, only read the rules, but I've played a fair bit of blitzkrieg commander and I didn't see a huge amount of difference, so I guess what I say holds a little water.

I think that amount sounds fairly workable, at least for some test games. One key thing you will need is some more NCOs to issue orders. Min 3 I'd say.

We would typically play 2 players per side, with about 3HQs, 8 infantry in two platoons with or without transport (which in bkc typically were one to a stand) plus 2/3 squadrons of 3 tanks, couple of towed anti tank guns, some off board artillery and maybe 2/3 scouts/spotters or snipers. Played a game In a couple of hours.

We looked at fwc, but in the end preferred epic.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:14 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi all,

Well, my copy arrived and I'm really impressed - however, I do think the abstraction works much much better in 6mm than for the ideas I had.

That was, until I read the 'skirmish' rules to do with command, and it all clicked in to place.

So now I use the main stat your own unit rules but with the commander rules from the skirmish.

If a stand has an additional weapon (for example an SAW) I stat its attacks up differently to represent that. So grunts might be 3/30, but the SAW team are 5/30 with a secondary attack of 2/60 to represent the SAW firing away at long range and the combined firepower once the blasters are in range.

This basically allows men on the stands to be 1:1 but the rules to flow in a way that works with stands of infantry. The abstraction for me is now the 'hits' but they just cumulatively represent the effect of fire on a unit, they don't (unlike in say 40k) represent actual casualty causing hits.

Does that make sense? I now think I have my perfect rule set for company size games.

Weirdly, to achieve the right affect the points cost of most units goes up so I'm playing 1,000 games still! It must be said, once you get them the stat your own unit rules are REALLY clever and flexible.