Login |  Register |  FAQ

My Pax Arcadians

Post subject: My Pax Arcadians
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:03 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

That should lead to some interesting camo ! :)

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:04 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote: (Lion in the Stars @ 23 Nov. 2008, 12:26 )

That could look really good.  It's definitely different, which is good for basing ideas.

I was going to suggest either Northern Russian (gray/green mix) or southern russian (Tan/green mix) for colors.  I hope you weren't planning on camo'ing 6mm infantry, I'd go blind from that!

You don't know the depths of my insanity....

I think how I'll approach the camo is to airbrush an ivory color as the base, then using my nasty beat up brushes to dab the greens, orange, and maroon on as the camo. Then of course pick out skin and other details.  I find that if I don't concentrate on making the camo look uniform it goes faster and looks better.  Random is good for camo.

So for colors (generic terms, not names of the actual paints I'll use) I'm looking at ivory, a light green, an olive drab, an autumn or burnt orange, and a crimson or maroon. Add necessary skin tones, weapons, and a dark brown wash to get the recesses and all should be good to go.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:26 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Sergeant, you are a braver man than I.

Now get painting!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:01 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Gotta have the models first. :sigh:

And since they're my Christmas present, my wife may end up making me wait until Dec 25th.  :oo:

That and I just had eye surgery on Wednesday, so I'm waiting to see how long that takes to heal before I can paint again.

All I can say at this point is that it's a good thing I have an airbrush.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:22 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

That and I just had eye surgery on Wednesday, so I'm waiting to see how long that takes to heal before I can paint again.

Sorry to hear that. I too have had eye surgery earlier this year. If it's any help I find I can still paint... well, as much as I ever could anyway. So you may be worried about recovery just now but hopefully things will get better. I find I have to take more rests though.

This sounds an amazing project, love your camo ideas.

[img]http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk120/Warhead40k/Tyranid%20Swarm/DSC02262.jpg[/img]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:13 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

It was PRK to get rid of the glasses, well until I get old and need readers.  At any rate I figure it'll be a few more days before I'm ready to get back to painting.  Just in time to start on those Space Marines from L4.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:50 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Did you get them already !!!!!!?! :oo: :oh: :oops:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:10 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I wish! :D

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:25 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Good luck with the eye operations.
Myself I got back to painting when I realised I needed readers. Then I went out and got some serious ones, spent an incredible £400 on them...

But dammit, now I see to paint, solder, woodwork and make love!  8v)

092b85658e746a91d343e53509d357744e56f641

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:25 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote: (Sergeant_Crunch @ 24 Nov. 2008, 07:10 )

I wish! :D

Well with the Holidays, I think the mail with be slower then usual ... Not faster !! :oh:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:33 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Got them today.  Unfortunately my eyesight is only good enough to make out the models and line them up in formation.  Speaking of which, need to do that for my blog.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:13 am 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Quote: (Sergeant_Crunch @ 24 Nov. 2008, 00:13 )

It was PRK to get rid of the glasses, well until I get old and need readers.  At any rate I figure it'll be a few more days before I'm ready to get back to painting.  Just in time to start on those Space Marines from L4.

Good for you, I had Lasik 10 years ago (just after it was invented pretty much) and have never regretted it.

Only problem was that I had just done army induction training, and was waiting to go off to boot camp - BUT inbetween doing so the regulations in my country changed so that you now couldn't join the police, army, airforce etc for 2 years after Lasik surgery cos of concerns about the saftey of it. I had perfect vision 2 days after the surgery and my recruiting sergeant yelled down the phone at the medical people but they wouldn't budge. Ah well when one door closes another opens, and I ended up studying to be a shrink in the end...  :oops: :)) ...paying all my own fees without military help but never mind!!

Anyway, all the best for the rehab and painting!  :agree:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:36 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote: (Sergeant_Crunch @ 25 Nov. 2008, 03:33 )

Got them today.  Unfortunately my eyesight is only good enough to make out the models and line them up in formation.  Speaking of which, need to do that for my blog.

Wow !  That is still pretty good timing for the USPS !!   You'll be painting in no time !  :D

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:56 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The Pax arrived today, but they're still in the box.  She hasn't let me know if she intends to make me wait for Christmas or not.  Won't be able to order bases for them until I get paid next week.  Probably won't see those until after Christmas.  Litko does great stuff, but they require a pretty good lead time on orders and I'm going to be asking for a few sets of custom items.

Picked up some flock for the bases though, as well as a new tub of artists gel medium and new files.  Also found a stack of thin plywood rectangles in the craft wood section that'll be used to base some of my 6mm buildings into more coherent pieces.  I can tell I'm going to have to go back for more later.  I've also identified the paints to match the flock.  The bases will be done as follows:

- spread gel texture on and apply sand
- once dry, prime then base coat with Apple Barrel Country Tan (it's a good dirt color in case flock comes off later)
- glue painted minis to the bases
- flock with white, green, red, burnt orange, and golden yellow (found a pack of "autumn" flock in the model train section :))
- seal

Painting the models will be:
- light gray auto primer
- airbrush with Reaper ProPaint Linen White
- then dab camo pattern in this sequence (all Reaper ProPaints - colorchart here):
    Goldenrod Yellow
    Fireball Orange
    Burning Orange
    Olive Green
- weapons will be ProPaint Faded Black and anything else will be in appropriate colors

January will probably see me ordering some blank decal sheets. Though most of January I'll be out of state.  I wonder how the TSA reacts to paints, hobby knives, and a couple hundred pieces of pewter...

I'll do a picture with all the parts and pieces once things get organized, though bases will have to wait as I won't have them yet.

Oh, and the Space Marines are going to be painted with ProPaint Field Gray and washed with Stained Olive.  The vehicles will be the Field Gray with stripes in the Stained Olive.  Just need to refresh my memory on which shoulder pad trim colors go with which company.  Guess it's a good thing I didn't sell those Codex's like I'd planned.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:47 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Sounds Great !!  Look forward to the pics !!   :;):