Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Epic UK GT 2018 November 24-25 Daventry

Post subject: Re: Epic UK GT 2018 November 24-25 Daventry
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:38 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I'm looking forward to the tournament, though less so to the 5:15 start tomorrow and I think it's going to be a late night in the stables getting the army ready.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:59 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

After a massive life enforced Epic hiatus I’m looking forward to this gents. See you all in the morning!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:50 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Few pics from Day 1....

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:16 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

That looks like an Iyanden drop list in action!? Looking forward to a write up!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:33 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

RugII wrote:
That looks like an Iyanden drop list in action!? Looking forward to a write up!

It very much was Rug.

This was the bombardment moments before that:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:59 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Terrific event as always. Many thanks to Tim, Steve G, and Darren for organising and to Andy, Richard, Horatio, Mike, and Dave for 5 really enjoyable games. I’ll do a proper write up later.

Final standings were

1 - Andy Harris
2 - Richard Laking
3 - Steve Cole

Sporting - Jon Leigh
Painting (judges) - Mike Thomas
Painting (players) Darren Reeks

The championship was retained by yours truly, Rob picked up the plate despite getting tabled in 2 games.

The big thing, is that for the second year running, the GT has been won by a Scotsman running a marine army spamming a 200 point unit. Time for landspeeders to get nerfed? ;-)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:18 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

StevekCole wrote:
the GT has been won by a Scotsman running a marine army spamming a 200 point unit
spamming works brilliantly! ;)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:25 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Monkeyboy wrote:
StevekCole wrote:
the GT has been won by a Scotsman running a marine army spamming a 200 point unit
spamming works brilliantly! ;)

I mean even a terrible player could succeed doing that right?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:26 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

A Landspeeder list and an Eldar drop list, quite a meta breaking tournament by the sounds of it! Next we’ll see a return of TRC’s Hydra Battery spam list or Matt Otter’s Battle Barge list!

From memory a Landspeeder list caused some upset at a tournament in Sweden about 8 years ago, I think Hena used it (or at least wrote about it?)?

I recall the conclusion was that it only works if it’s not expected so it won’t creep in to the meta.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:41 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

What with Glyn's gorgon free Krieg and Tim's double BTS titans yes, definitely some interesting lists

Andy, will have more details I'm sure. I played it in round one and won. Basically Krieg just chewed through it quite slowly (shock horror).

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:16 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I had an interesting tournament, taking Iyanden for the first time in an age after a discussion with Matt A on the way back from ITB. The general idea was around wraithguard deployment issues, and the risks of losing a Vampire to AA on the way in when it's fully loaded (see game 5). With this in mind, the concept was to drop the Vampires from a space ship, ideally in turn 1, and go all in. There are a few issues however, mainly if an opponent has a strong scouting contingent (see game 5), or if you don't activate the space ship on turn 1 (see game 2), which if you've elected for a barrage does give you some issues.

So, game 1: Dave Thomas (sisters of battle)
Dave got put in the corner. I elected for a turn 1 spaceship barrage, and dropped the army 30cm in from the corner. Barrage comes off, breaks a few units with some decent barrage hits, and the tripple retain comes off, taking out the BTS with a combined assault on one, and then sustaining on another to pretty much annihilate it. Dave responded fairly well to this, and managed to take down two of the vampires during turn 1, as well as a unit of falcons. Turn 2 and 3 saw Dave basically high-tailing it away from the Wraithguard, and going for other objectives. His Celestians, despite not really doing anything much all game managed to surround my blitz, and i was unable to get onto a key objective after failing to activate with some falcons. The game ended 2-1 to me in turn 3.

Game 2: Steve (Krieg)
Well, if you're going to guarantee the points you need to take the championship, i guess you're going to take the army that's pretty much impossible to beat...
Still, Steve got put in the corner. I elected for pinpoint attacks, and Steve sensibly de-meched his gorgons. He won strategy turn 1, and promptly got his BTS into some woods and surrounded the unit with some rough riders. Given the 5 super heavy tanks (3 shadowswords and 2 stormblades) i decided to string the turn out a bit to reduce potential counter-attacks, and then promptly failed to bring on the spaceship. Still, it's going to happen every sixth game on average, so what can you do? It did leave me in a sticky position though as i was hoping for the double whammy of a hammering end of turn 1 followed by hopefully going first into 2 and gutting his army. I think Steve went first again, can't remember though. Anyway, i finally drop, only the one pinpoint hits, and breaks a stormblade. the drops are a nightmare however and all scatter hugely. This causes some big problems, as my army is now in some less than ideal positions. I do manage to take out a bunch of the super heavies, but the gorgon companies aren't particularly viable targets. Things are on a knife edge by the end of the turn, Steve has finally failed an activation with his BTS (one of only a couple failed during the game, despite most of his army being plinked) and just won't stop making most of his saves. The damn wraithguard kept failing saves though, which was giving me some real problems. Steve then of course won the strategy roll off turns 3 and 4, using it to roll the wraithguard units. I managed to at least hold the game to a losing draw, and with the way Steve was rolling i was actually pretty happy with the result. Good dice + Krieg = unbeatable.

Game 3: Darren (Orks)
Darren got put in the corner. The barrage was pretty brutal, breaking 2 big units, and the following two activations broke the Supa Stompa BTS (which somehow survived 24 regular and 19 macro firefight attacks on 4s), and a skorcha unit melted with a sustain from another wraithguard unit. Darren tried to go all in seeing quite a bit of intermingling, but despite his chunky units, and managing to get a lot of models in base contact, there was just too much supporting fire to make particular headway and the army melted. A few Vampires sustaining managed to wipe out the Supa Stompa, and at this point it was all over barring the cleanup. 5-0.

Game 4: Rob (Orks)
Rob got put in the corner. See game 3. 5-0.

Game 5: Andy (Marines).
Andy did not get put in the corner. Nor did he get dropped on thanks to having sufficient scouts to cover his entire side of the board. I opted to keep my BTS on the ground defending my blitz, and hoping that i would be able to then also recycle a unit if possible. This was an interesting and cagey game, but the dice went heavily in Andy's favour, making some great armour saves on the landspeeders, and managing an astonishing number of hits with their macro guns, which destroyed my AA bubble with great effect. The spaceship was originally coming in turn 2, with the intent that i'd be able to strip out the reaver BTS shields with the falcons, then go in for an air assault with the Wraithguard. This didn't go to plan, and things kept failing to activate (i think i had 3 double 1's for key activations during the game) and the spaceship didn't come on either, although this wasn't a bad thing at the time. Turn 3 i had to make my move, and after winning the roll-off, i had to risk the single units of t-bolts Andy had on cap for most of the game waiting for this very moment. The reaver had a scout screen, so the plan was for the first unit to clear the scouts, and the second unit to go for the assault. T-bolts come in, 2 hits, 1 wound... and crit. Boom! There goes the game. I'm then down to pretty much nothing, so try to retain with the Avatar to at least get rid of some assault marines, and of course it's another double one. The other Vampire comes in later in the turn, takes out the assault marines, although i do of course lose a Wraithguard in the process. This is important in turn 4, as Andy has just enough units in range to plink them to breaking. I do of course then fail to rally as well, taking the game to a 3-0 to Andy in turn 4. Well that didn't go to plan. Still, despite pretty much everything going wrong i still almost held the marines to a draw, and with a few less 6s from Andy it could have been a very different game.

Overall i was pretty pleased with the effectiveness of the list. It was brutally efficient against horde armies, but i think people under-utilised their scouts against it in a few cases. Not a list i'd run regularly, but it was fun to take them out for a spin again, and as a list it's delightfully aggressive and all-in :)

Thanks to all my opponents for some interesting games, and looking forward to next season!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:19 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

RugII wrote:
A Landspeeder list and an Eldar drop list, quite a meta breaking tournament by the sounds of it! Next we’ll see a return of TRC’s Hydra Battery spam list or Matt Otter’s Battle Barge list!

From memory a Landspeeder list caused some upset at a tournament in Sweden about 8 years ago, I think Hena used it (or at least wrote about it?)?

I recall the conclusion was that it only works if it’s not expected so it won’t creep in to the meta.

I took a Krieg list with 4 Death Rider companies and no Gorgons too, which was also a bit different.

Attachment:
_20181126_101127.JPG
_20181126_101127.JPG [ 1.51 MiB | Viewed 2434 times ]

The Land Speeder list seemed fine to me and not that spammy either. Over half the points were spent on other units and surprisingly the only AA in the army was a single Thunderbolt formation so an aircraft heavy list could have smashed it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:26 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I think the landspeeder list was absolutely fine - very fluffy and fund n fact. I just think its funny to compare Andy to Dan (as he accidently called me Dan in our game). :-)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:33 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I think Mike's list v Richard's would've been interesting (compared to the ork games anyway) purely because of the massive scout screen he can deploy. Yes the spaceship will do a lot of damage but the wraithguard are likely to get bounced a long way back out. I've done a similar thing with 2 units of stormboyz against marine drop lists. Also, the nids being mainly infantry not LVs and AVS helps with the grav tank shooting. Though I guess the pretty feeble nid AA means just air assaulting with the vampires is more viable.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:49 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Oh, against Mike i'd have been air assaulting rather than dropping given he doesn't have any AA to speak of. If we'd played the plan was to bombard the short deployment side and then do a rolling air assault against the long deployment side, which after the first would have included ideally the previous unit supporting in an attempt to fully wipe out the units.

The Drop was primarily there as an option where i had concerns about an opponents AA and where they couldn't bounce me with scout screens. Unless you have quite a few scouting units it's actually quite hard to stop though, as while i was usually dropping in the centre so i could maximise my chances of going after the BTS, there's the option of flank drops as well, especially if you place the bombardment in a way that cripples the center making retaliation harder.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next