Login |  Register |  FAQ

WAAAAGHMAGEDDON 21st July

Post subject: Re: WAAAAGHMAGEDDON 21st July
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:22 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Dan 1314 wrote:
For the record, I'm obviously taking shadowswords as the super heavies (traitor legion shows Baneblades as default...sadly they are terrible)

Too late, you’ve declared Baneblades. Though with siegemasters I bet you wish you’d run stormblades now.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:28 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I would just like to point out that my siegemasters have no intention of doing any digging. Our uniforms are too smart for spadework. Apart from the artillery boys. They don't count...

EDIT i would also like to point out by abysmal EpicUK record so my opportunities to take anyone down at all is highly questionable at best :) If i can take all my games to turn 4 I'll be a happy bunny.

I do have my eye on that Gargant mind....

See you all Saturday guys, i cant wait

Last edited by flyingthruwater on Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:31 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

StevekCole wrote:
Dan 1314 wrote:
For the record, I'm obviously taking shadowswords as the super heavies (traitor legion shows Baneblades as default...sadly they are terrible)

Too late, you’ve declared Baneblades. Though with siegemasters I bet you wish you’d run stormblades now.

I did think that was a bold choice... :P

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:26 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

RichardL wrote:
StevekCole wrote:
Dan 1314 wrote:

I did think that was a bold choice... :P

I thought that you were going to show everyone that the criticism of the Baneblade was unfounded.

Otherwise it was that you only needed 2600pts to beat everyone else.

NetEA Ork + Feral Ork + Speed Freak Champion

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:01 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Baneblades are the heroic, brave choice.

Shadowswords the coward's choice.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:19 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Do i need to point out my AA and artillery are with tractors, and that I haven't decided to not bother with commisars? :)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:22 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Dan 1314 wrote:
Do i need to point out my AA and artillery are with tractors, and that I haven't decided to not bother with commisars? :)

If you haven’t specified tractors, you don’t get them. Plus if you don’t specify where your commissars are your opponent gets to chose (they can go in tbolts right?)

Also, in a similar approach to Dan, my grots are actually tyranids. The zzap guns are all landing craft.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:51 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

For the sake of clarity........

Pedant Pounder 3000 POINTS
Death Korps of Krieg (EpicUK v01122014)
==================================================

REGIMENTAL HQ [675]
Death Korps Supreme Commander, 19 Death Korps Infantry units, Gorgon Siege Transporters (2 Gorgons), Heavy Tank (Macharius) Commissar

INFANTRY COMPANY [475]
Death Korps Commander, 19 Death Korps Infantry units, Gorgon Siege Transporters (2 Gorgons) Commissar

INFANTRY COMPANY [475]
Death Korps Commander, 19 Death Korps Infantry units, Gorgon Siege Transporters (2 Gorgons) Commissar

SUPER-HEAVY TANK PLATOON [200]
Shadowsword
Commissar

SUPER-HEAVY TANK PLATOON [200]
Shadowsword
Commissar

DEATH RIDER SCOUT PLATOON [175]
6 Death Korps Rough Rider units (with 'scout' ability)

DEATHSTRIKE BATTERY [200]
2 Death Korps Deathstrike Missile Launchers Commissar

FLAK BATTERY [150]
3 Heavy AA gun platforms, 3 Tractors

SUPPORT BATTERY [150]
4 Imperial Guard Light Artillery, 4 Tractors

THUNDERBOLT FIGHTERS [150]
2 Thunderbolts

THUNDERBOLT FIGHTERS [150]
2 Thunderbolts

This now leaves me with the struggling declaration of wether or not my car is a 2 seater or 5..... :)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:12 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Good luck to everyone playing today. Just remember Steve and Dan want to finish in the bottom two places to keep the Championship interesting.

NetEA Ork + Feral Ork + Speed Freak Champion

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:55 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

They are too busy trying to destroy each other's hopes and dreams at the moment Tim - they are just about to play!!!!!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:15 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Tiny-Tim wrote:
Good luck to everyone playing today. Just remember Steve and Dan want to finish in the bottom two places to keep the Championship interesting.

Sorry, misread your instructions, Dan 1st, me 2nd. Championship is Dan’s to lose now as I’m not at Britcon.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:23 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I have lost everything and everyone I've ever loved....

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:17 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thanks to Dave G for his organising and great hospitality. A really good event. Recommend to everyone.

Results were

Dan
Steve C
Dave T
Rob H
Matt
Kieran
Dave G
Stevie B
Andy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:23 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Game 1 – Rob. Orks.
People say that Idanha-a-Velha in Portugal is a place where time stands still.
They are of course wrong. This is a bustling metropolis of activity in comparative to a table across from Rob.
I was overjoyed to be sentenced to another game against the worlds fastest complainer and slowest player. Well I was odds on, so far this year it had been 5-0 and 5-0. However during those games I had celebrated nine different birthdays and read some 18 books, two of which I had also written. And of course he was playing Orks.
Fortunately I had found a recent painting magazine and a kettle. I brewed up some heavy duty coffee and got down to reading about improving my dreadful paint works.
The game itself was all about the centre table. His gargant and super stompa hid behind a centre ruin whilst my shadowswords stared menacingly back. In effort to relive this he pushed my right flank with a couple of blitz brigades, and I made hard work of it all by failing 6 activations in turn one (including deathstrikes with a re-roll) and then having the same death strikes broken by fighters in turn two. Fortunately I had far better luck with my gorgons.
Everyone forgets that the Gorgons have indirect fire on their mortars, so having run these up to the middle ruins on turn one, they made a lovely job of squashing a tightly formed cult of speed, and far more importantly, stripping away the Gargants shields (I scored an impressive four hits out of four).
With the Gargants shieldless, and his activation count dropping, I expected Rob to hold fast for a draw, but to his credit he really tried to push the issue. Unfortunately for the Gargant this included a re-enactment of the Battle of Balaclava with the titan in pivotal role as the light brigade (it was also apt as at this stage I was half way through War and Peace). The Gargant chortled out in front of the shadowswords, who did great damage to it, then the deathstrike finished it off.
The Stompa tried the same, with identical result. There on in it was a straight run for a 4-0.
I would however live to regret this as he ran up a huge tab on whisky at my local bar.

Game 2 – Steve. Orks.
Yay, more Orks….
This time a landa list.
I felt this wasn’t a huge thing, all I needed was to keep the BTS and the Blitz safe from filthy flying green skins and I should be fine. Of course, loving the challenge, I made a royal arse out of placing my objectives and all but guaranteed a draw was the best I could hope for. The game however turned on two events in the centre board.
With no war engines on board, I envisaged my deathstrikes would have a quiet day. Still, I am a sneaky wee sod, so I put them right in my corner and turn one put them on overwatch.
When my gorgons pondered forward, Steve got all ready for the supported air assault, he surrounded the gorgons with scorchas, then brought in the landa to assault, trapping the infantry inside and killing the gorgons with supporting fire, --- but did he see the miles away death strikes? Nope. It was a true credit to the gentleman that on being overwatched, he applauded and congratulated me on my plan. With the landa gone, my centre gorgon unit was now staring down their would be killer and a win became real.
Then cruel fate twisted again. I assaulted the scorchas putting a great deal of them in close combat, it really should have been a cake walk, to the extent I didn’t care to much that a few of my infantry would have to be killed by the supporting blitz brigade. I had 20 5+ shots….20…..20!!!!!!..... how could I only achieve two hits??! With such failure, I lost the assault and my central gorgon squad spend the rest of the game hiding in a wood. With that turn we had a situation where I had killed far more, but he had far more activations. (his two squads of planes really had a good day breaking units). Running shy of time, we agreed to a straight draw. He would almost certainly kill enough had there been a turn four to deserve that. – Really tight game, very enjoyable.

Game 3 – Dave. Ulani.
Ulani. Great, Eldar. I can beat Eldar.
They didn’t look like Eldar though… nope here was one of the weird Imperial guard lists. The one that should be dreadful… But I was thinking about tank hunters with sniper and lots of nasty leman russ variants.
This game was another see-saw.
Dave chose to play corners. Thanks mate, really enjoy that with slow gorgons…. But he also made a bit of a mess of his sniper scout tank set up and feed them to my shadowswords. Having gone first and stripped away two activations of hated tanks, I felt much happier.
Taking a page from Robs book, I marched my Gorgons off into the valley of death.
One squad took an objective but lost their treds and spent the rest of the game holding that, really without much purpose. One was blown to pieces by the tanks and limped back to my lines. This forced me to push in my BTS unit, fortunately I got lucky with first turn when it counted and my shadowswords were doing a great job of taking out the tanks. So I was able to push over the centre hill and secure both my own half and the objectives in it on turn 3, for a 2-0 win. It was a tough ask for Krieg and would have been far worse had Dave not failed a shed load of important activations when he really needed them, but he did a sound job of using an unpopular list really well. Look forward to playing them again.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:08 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

It was fun when you followed up that awesome death strike overwatch with a completely fluffed assault.