Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

London Epic GT May 19-20

Post subject: Re: London Epic GT May 19-20
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 10:55 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

I liked Oxford - Challenge

& Britcon is definitely worth it

plus Expo would be good to return to with the Euro's if we host it again.

NetEA Ork + Feral Ork + Speed Freak Champion

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 11:17 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Overall i've no issue with the BHGS run events, i think they do a good job and are well organised. I think this one fell foul on a couple of things. First off organisation definitely wasn't as good. Second, there were a number of issues with the venue. Third, there's generally reasonably priced accommodation for BHGS events should you want it, which helps keep things reasonable.

For London i think it's very difficult to successfully run a huge multi-system event due to a combination of venue issues and general costs, and overall i think smaller one day events tend to work a bit better overall.

The expo is a funny one really, i think it's become a victim of it's own success to a degree with just too many people attending having knock-on effects such as accommodation issues, and becoming a bit impersonal due to the sheer size of it. I'd still go again, although this year i think there are some serious number issues with most of the events by the look of things, suggesting cost and hastle has put a lot of people off.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 11:55 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

challenge was decent (even if my behaviour wasn't) -largely because parking and food were free and cheap respectively, and it wasn't a complete scrum of an event, packed into a space too small, so well done to them for that

Expo was good for the Euros, but the other two times I've played there it was noisy and hot and suffered from crowds everywhere, being in the function room for the euros was about as good as it could have been

I think running events in London is a zero sum thing, you get more locals joining in, and you're close to international airports and a decent public transport system, but it's almost always cheaper for someone to travel out of london than it is to travel in which puts tightwads like myself off ;)

NetEA Red Corsairs Army Champion

My hobby/painting threads

Army Forge List Co-ordinator

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 1:28 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I enjoyed my two games on sunday - thanks Simon and Richard

Thanks to SteveC for organising and all his efforts with the terrain

apologies for bringing a half painted force when everyone else had gone to great efforts.

For the record my codex ill fated SM list was
TAC + SC 400
TAC 300
THWK 200
ASS 175
ASS 175
BIKE +CHAP 250
BIKE 200
LSPEED 200
SCOUT 150
PRED ANNH + HNTR 350
WWIND 300
TBOLT 150
TBOLT 150

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 4:18 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I wouldn't rush to do the event again (though Mike may disagree when he gets his prizes!!!!!).

Kyuss, believe it or not the pizza place was the nearest, cheaper option (huzzah for London prices). ;D agree the lunch was bawfin.

At least we weren't the 40k guys, that looked awful. Plus the tournament winner was subsequently disqualified for cheating on stream! :o :o

I think day events in London are great for getting high numbers, 2 days are much trickier for folk to attend cos of high accommodation costs etc.

On the upside Mark and i are now running some demo games for people we chatted to at the event.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 2:06 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Thanks for the write up Dan, always good read :D and some pics Steve. Those nids looks sweeeet!!!!

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 12:14 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Having run London events in the past, I can sympathise with all of the above.

Finding venues in London is very hard. Those in central locations are very expensive or small or both. In the past I have used our local pub The Escape which can hold up to 10 tables at a pinch, although it is quite ‘cosy’. But it is central for those who want to travel in, and above all cheap with pub food available, along with drink - in the case of our venue it is required that players buy drinks to keep the pub going (they need not be alchoholic)!!! The problem is that although you can hire nearby student accommodation, nothing is cheap. So this tends to suggest a one day event.

Otherwise, your best bet are local church halls etc (much like the Leicester venue tho smaller), but these may be some distance outside central London and so less accessible to those using public transport. For example, my local area boasts several very useable venues, but they are a 1 hour tube journey from central London, on top of whatever journey time to get to London itself. The benefits are a larger venue and cheaper accommodation which may lend itself to a two day event, but the journey will put off those using public transport which affects numbers.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 5:30 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

kyussinchains wrote:
Expo was good for the Euros,

Can't comment from a TO perspective, but I wasn't impressed by the Expo room for the euros at all. Why were the lights so dim? why were the curtains shut all day? it was about the dimmist possible setting you could still functionally play in.

Enjoying the reports, thanks for sharing.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 5:58 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I like Dark Sphere.

Escape is a great option for non-Londoners being so close to Euston and Kings Cross/St Pancras.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 7:09 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Apocolocyntosis wrote:
kyussinchains wrote:
Expo was good for the Euros,

Can't comment from a TO perspective, but I wasn't impressed by the Expo room for the euros at all. Why were the lights so dim? why were the curtains shut all day? it was about the dimmist possible setting you could still functionally play in.

Enjoying the reports, thanks for sharing.

Just consider yourself lucky you weren't at Steamcon last year (Guildball related) - we were playing underground in light that was so dim on some tables you struggled to see what you'd rolled properly! My poor eyes...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6