Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Full Scale Assault February 24th in Daventry

Post subject: Re: Full Scale Assault February 24th in Daventry
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:52 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

And I thought the my colossus taking 4 hits from Rob's Skorchas and dying was unlucky. You've got me trumped twice over there Richard.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:02 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Btw Ben - i liked the list :) It was an interesting take on guard, even if personally i can't make deathstrikes work (they either fail to activate, hit, do more than 1 point of damage, or get broken by thunderhawks before getting to fire).

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:44 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote:
You played that one well, and other than maybe getting a bit pulled away from the objectives by one of the gorgon formations you made some solid ploys

Thanks!

I think the deployment choices may have hurt you a little, as the Gorgon Companies ended up with separate missions all game - I guess the plan was to move the Reg HQ company to act in concert with one of the other two companies, until my garrisoned Valkyries decided to step forwards and roll a million sixes, breaking it?

Quote:
It's never going to go well when you lose the ability to make reinforced 4+ saves with any degree of consistency with that army though, and the loss of the stormsword on turn 1 after failing all 3 saves it had to make (2 from macro mind you) was a big problem given you had a lot of infantry dug into cover.

Absolutely a priority target, and definitely falls into one of my 3-4 most important lucky moments. :-)

Quote:
Basically i started the game on the back foot and everything i tried to pull myself back into the game failed utterly, be it trying to assault things, shoot things, or make key activation rolls. Such is dice though.

Aye, not having to worry about your left wing Gorgon company at the start of turn 2 due to a failed activation in turn 1 was a big help for me - I got to concentrate elsewhere for the first few activations.

Quote:
Btw Ben - i liked the list :) It was an interesting take on guard, even if personally i can't make deathstrikes work (they either fail to activate, hit, do more than 1 point of damage, or get broken by thunderhawks before getting to fire).

The Deathstrikes can crap out on you (eg: My 2nd game), or just get killed early. I try to get them to work by giving other early priority targets (garrisons, again).

I was playing versions of this list with two Basilisk formations a few months back, but found I had little to offer against AV -heavy armies, thus the Deathstrikes got swapped in. At worst, the opponent *has* to go after them as a priority, meaning I lose a cheap formation (or he fails to hit, ho hum!), and my more expensive formations get to first roll to activate without any blast markers on them...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:16 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

That stormtrooper unit was a surprise! That first strike somehow breaking my BTS with all the 6s was a bit of a shocker, but i was impressed by how resilient to fully shift it proved to be.

I've had the unit sitting ready to be painted for a while now and it's definitely encouraged me to get it done and give it a try, as it seems to compare pretty well to a standard Mech HQ.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:23 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Yeah I always used to run at least one Grenadiers formation in my Krieg army too. Great Firefight, 5+ armour save, a Gorgon to take the first 3 hits, and Heavy Flamers too!

Proper broken. :-)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6