Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Full Scale Assault February 24th in Daventry

Post subject: Re: Full Scale Assault February 24th in Daventry
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:44 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Evil and Chaos wrote:
StevekCole wrote:
Ach, just saw Meph’s reply. Sad times. Still 1/18 chance I guess! :-)

If you both agree to concede your first games (even if you're winning 3 minutes before the last activation) you can force a meeting. ;D

It’s a solid plan. I reckon a 5-0 loss should do it. :-)

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:02 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

StevekCole wrote:
Evil and Chaos wrote:
StevekCole wrote:
Ach, just saw Meph’s reply. Sad times. Still 1/18 chance I guess! :-)

If you both agree to concede your first games (even if you're winning 3 minutes before the last activation) you can force a meeting. ;D

It’s a solid plan. I reckon a 5-0 loss should do it. :-)

The problem with that is if Rob also gets his customary 0-5 drubbing ;D

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:48 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

No Commandos in my list - 6 Stormboyz and a Skorcha.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:18 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Monkeyboy wrote:
No Commandos in my list - 6 Stormboyz and a Skorcha.

Fixed.

Also we are down to 16 players as it stands, draw will happen on the morning just in case :)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:40 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I've finished painting my army!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:17 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Good luck tomorrow gents. Great turn out.
Looking forward to seeing some pics and hearing how it goes...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:45 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Operation battlewagon is proceeding with orkish efficiency so we're running a bit late. It's mostly Rob's fault (obviously)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:45 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thanks all for the friendly welcome, 3 good games and a jolly good day.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:06 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Really good atmosphere today. The new/newish players all great guys.

Came back with four new board games and an expansion pack. Failed to resist temptation.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:59 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thanks a lot for yesterday, had great fun, 3 great game and lots of chat in the car on the way home about when we were going to play next.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:26 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thanks to Nigel, Tim, & Rob for 3 great games plus the usual superlative organising from Dave B. Chuffed to finally got over the finish line to win a tournament with the Squats (at the 5th time of asking).

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:17 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Results are all in the database.

Thanks for a fun days gaming

http://epic-uk.co.uk/ukepicachampionshi ... hp?tid=109

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:55 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Five Ork players even without Darren?!?!?!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:54 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thanks to Conrad, Mark and Richard for three varied and fun games.

I used a swarm/garrison style Steel Legion list:

Reg HQ with a Hydra
Infantry Co with a Hydra & a Sniper
Infantry Co

Hydra squadron
Basilisk squadron
Deathstrike squadron
Rough Rider squadron
Storm Troopers in Valkyries
Shadowsword

Thunderbolt squadron
Thunderbolt squadron

Warhound Titan

My basic strategy with this army is to garrison four formations, overturning the slowness of the foot infantry companies and put pressure on early / act as roadbumps while the artillery does its thing, and the faster formations maneuver into position for the breakout.

Game 1 - Ground-Pounding Codex Marines style list.

The prospect of lots of Overwatch fire from my infantry companies meant that Conrad didn't choose to drop pod, and switched to ground running.

I managed to avoid the spacecraft bombardment and sniped out some of his Rhinos with artillery to slow him down.

His two Terminator formations teleported in on turn two to score some quick successes, but with so many infantry units to chew through I wore them down eventually, after which I was able to control the board enough to secure a comfortable 2-0 win.

Twice in the game I hit a Warhound with my Shadowsword to strip its shields, then retained to follow up with a single Deathstrike, killing both. Although the first Warhound required a Critical Hit to do it as I only rolled 2 points of damage from the missile.

Game 2 - Speed Freaks

This was a meatgrinder of a game.

I'd not played against Speed Freaks in probably a decade, so I wasn't immediately familiar with how to fight them. Mark played canny with his activation advantage for the first turn, moving his big hitters last so I didn't get a shot at them, so I largely played whack-a-mole with what I could see for turn 1.

I mostly held the line, only significantly losing my Reg HQ (bar the fearless commissar/Commander unit) when I doubled to attack an enemy big biker/skorcha mob at the end of turn one and fluffed my attack dice (and crumbled to an engagement retort at the start of turn 2), and a Warhound Titan.

In return, I was breaking formations or rendering them combat-ineffective (forcing a withdrawal to regroup) consistently. My Deathstrikes failed to activate at the end of turn 2, when I wanted to kill a single Nob unit with one of them. Aww.

I scored a lucky Critical on a Landa full of bikers with my CAP at the end of turn 3. Then I failed to nuke the other Landa (empty, holding an objective) when my Deathstrikes this time rolled a double 1 to activate. Naughty Deathstrike crew, go have a short conversation with the Commissar.

The dust settled with nobody holding any objectives so we went to points, which I'd won on (especially as my HQ stand rallied).

Game 3 - Krieg

Some great luck on dice, especially at 3-4 important moments, plus perhaps some sort of a plan, meant I took the Krieg apart systematically, with little difficulty. I picked corner deployment.

Highlight of the game was his last surviving Shadowsword Doubling to miss my Shadowsword (which only had a single DC remaining, so a single TK hit would have killed it), and then he retained to engage my Shadowsword with a full twenty stand infantry company with two Gorgons.

He only brought half his company into range while the rest spread out to get near some objectives. He caused 4 hits, which I promptly saved. In return the Shadowsword cause a point of damage to a Gorgon, and then won a combat resolution roll-off where his victory margin of 3 was overturned by a 6 from me and a 2 from him!

To add insult to injury, the Gorgon suffered a critical hit from the post-resolution hackdown hit, became immobilized, couldn't get outside of 15cm from me, and thus was destroyed. This was the third Gorgon to suffer this fate in our game.

With no active mainline formations following this engagement, I tried for a 4-0 but his broken HQ survived my army's attention long enough for me to run out of activations.

He had the remains of the unlucky infantry company in my table half, but it failed to rally, so it ended 3-0 to me.

I was pretty happy with how this list style performed overall - my main worry was that it doesn't have a great deal of anti-tank firepower, but careful management of line-of-sight (and some significant degree of luck) in my third game meant I was able to overturn his advantage in number of WE's, and games 1&2 didn't involve many tough AV's.

2nd place is my best ever tournament placement, I normally bimble around the mid-table or lower.

Tally of Deathstrike kills for the day:

Game 1 - 2x Warhounds
Game 2 - Failed to activate on turn 2 and 3. Crew sent to the wood shed.
Game 3 - 2x Shadowswords

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:31 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

You played that one well, and other than maybe getting a bit pulled away from the objectives by one of the gorgon formations you made some solid ploys :) Getting the strategy rolloff really helped though (as i really didn't want to play corners against deathstrikes and artillery as they already negate the core strengths of the list) and then having the most accurate shooting in all of the imperium didn't hurt either (well, it certainly hurt my poor gorgons!) It's never going to go well when you lose the ability to make reinforced 4+ saves with any degree of consistency with that army though, and the loss of the stormsword on turn 1 after failing all 3 saves it had to make (2 from macro mind you) was a big problem given you had a lot of infantry dug into cover. Basically i started the game on the back foot and everything i tried to pull myself back into the game failed utterly, be it trying to assault things, shoot things, or make key activation rolls. Such is dice though.

A strong contender against the above noted incident with the shadowsword for 'most improbable assault fail' would have been in game 2 vs Matt when a somewhat mauled Gorgon company (i'd lost 3 infantry and a gorgon) assaulted 4 flakk wagons and lost horribly. In this one i was only up 1 before rolling, but given everything rolled in the assault it was yet another WTF JUST HAPPENED!?!?!? moment for me. I think Matt managed 4 out of 5 saves on them somehow... All the more galling after the unit survived a pretty nasty air assault the turn before!

On a related note, non-fearless gorgons definitely takes the list down a notch, i lost quite a few of them over the event to assaults that went pear shaped and then rather than the fearless gorgon laughing it off as it ran away instead it got cut down leaving a bunch of naked infantry, which was really far from ideal.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next