Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 235 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next

EEC 2017 in Copenhagen, September 23-24.

Post subject: Re: EEC 2017 in Copenhagen, September 23-24.
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:48 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Will there be separate topic for the photos? I would love to see armies and tables, but having all photos/links together would be helpful.

Flickr|Flickr#2|Brickshefl
"There ain't no thing as enuff dakka! Enuff's more than you got, an' less than too much, an' there's no such thing as too much dakka!"

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: EEC 2017 in Copenhagen, September 23-24.
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:04 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

One thought I had for next year would be to allow EpicUK lists where there is not a legal Netea version of a list. This would allow people to take some iconic armies currently not available like Squats, Blood Angels, Thousand Sons, Death Guard, Yme Locc, Dark Angels, Iron Warriors, Vanaheim Air Cavalry, Ulthwe etc?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:14 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Blood angels and dark angels will most likely be netEA approved by then.... *chinny reckon*

NetEA Red Corsairs Army Champion

My hobby/painting threads

Army Forge List Co-ordinator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:53 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Yeah, and Squats ruin it for honest decent players as they have to much AA....

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:33 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Dan 1314 wrote:
Yeah, and Squats ruin it for honest decent players as they have to much AA....

There's always Emperor's children

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:07 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Iron Duke wrote:
Hello,

so we are finally back in Berlin. It was a very nice event. Thanks Thomas.. it was great.

I had 5 nice guys to play agains.. hopefully we meet next year in Germany.

regards,
Mathias

Glad you all got back safely

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:12 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thanks for sharing guys! Glory!

Orkonia: http://goo.gl/j6Q3v
Hive Cassius: http://goo.gl/vJSxA

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:00 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Ok then! Thought i'd just post some thoughts on the games while i still remember them reasonably well. For this event i was using my Black Legion, with an assault focused list.

Team UK got pitched against Denmark 2 for the first round, and i was playing Elrik's Imperial Fists. Unsurprisingly the Fists dug in, although if anything there was too much digging in going on, and this led to some unfortunate intermingling around a certain set of bunkers in the middle of the table. A combined assault with a death wheel and retinue saw a bunch of units broken, and the centre of the line crumble somewhat. I brought the terminators down turn 2 to take a shot at the BTS Reaver titan and promptly lost the strategy roll off. Elrik sensibly moved it away, and then broke them with some horrible disrupting thunderfire cannons. This put paid to any attempt at taking down the BTS, so i focussed on the Blitz and another objective. This paid off, and in turn 3 i was able to take a 2-0 win after a bit more intermingling allowed be to break the pesky thunderfires and bastion. It was a bit touch and go though after i won the strategy roll off for turn 3, assaulted some terminators with my BTS, and promptly lost the assault, despite lots of deamon summoning and suchlike. Even worse, my obliterator died, so the unit was no longer fearless. Thankfully the bikes were able to go back and break the terminators and secure the blitz before anything serious went awry.

Round 2 saw us up against Germany 2, and i ended up playing Stephan's Marines. It was an unusual list with 3 units of whirlwinds and 2 units of predators, and a warhound pack bts, and i wasn't considering this an ideal matchup due to having so much infantry and Stephan having all those templates. Stephan got a bit impatient turn one though, and after dragging things out a bit he started doubling forward and shooting me with the whirlwinds (as i was out of range), and really started to come at me pretty aggressively. This kinda played into my hands though, and the end of the turn left him in a pretty vulnerable position. After dropping the terminators and winning the strategy rolloff, the only saving grace for Stephan was some abysmal rolling on the assault, which only saw 2 wounds taken off a warhound despite a bunch of daemons participating. Still, with the warhounds broken and another unit of preds dead, Stephan's army started to crumble rapidly. While i couldn't take down the BTS, i was able to hem in the remnants into his own half, and take all the objectives for a 4-0 win in 3. It's an interesting take on Marines, but i feel it could really do with some assault power for when opponents get close.

Round 3 and we were against Sweden, and more marines for me! This time Magus, with an interesting take on the list again, and playing them super aggressively (which i always approve of). However, perhaps too aggressive, given his BTS tactical co. came barrellling forward, allowing me to park a terminator unit next to them, and after winning the turn 2 strategy roll i was able to wipe that, and take out some predators and also break a warhound through supporting BM's, which left him in a pretty rough situation. If he'd won the rolloff it would have been a very different game, but it was a bit of an all or nothing gamble, that left him struggling to keep a toe in the game. Still, Magnus pulled off a very interesting move in turn 3, dumping his thunderhawk and double assault marines between his blitz and another objective, all just outside of 5" of each other to stop a complete rout, holding me to a 3-0 win.

Round 4, and Germany 1 this time. I had Matthias with his Necrons (huzzah! Not marines!). Thankfully i've played with Necrons a fair bit, so know all their devious little tricks, which did put me in good stead for this game. Most of the army bunkered up with some key units on overwatch in case he decided to go for early assaults, while my Terminators went pylon hunting, primarily with the intent of luring him away from my army early on and hopefully getting him out of position. Things went very nicely, with the Pylon taken out, and the other getting a BM for supporting fire, which was then promptly broken by some death wheel fire. This left my planes in a good position to start strafing the crap out of any infantry on the board, and despite eventually losing the terminators in their entirity to an assault, they weathered sufficient attacks to keep most of the necron forces busy early on, and did manage to put some casualties on the Necron BTS on their way out at least. Disappointing to lose the Obliterator though, who i'd hoped would run off somewhere to be a pain in later turns! The assaults went back and forth pretty viciously on turn 2, but unfortunately for Matthias, his BTS was one of the broken casualties, and he'd used his supreme commander re-roll for their fateful engage, and of course promptly failed the rally roll, giving me BTS straight off the bat. I was then able to take all the objectives and break anything in my half to take a full 5-0 win. The phase out rule really hurts them as an army when you know how to abuse it...

Final round was against Denmark 1, and i was up against Stephan's Biel Tan. I managed to weather the early barrages with my chosen taking the brunt of the pain, which was a relief as it allowed the rest of the army to get to work unhindered. Stephan went pretty aggressive with his BTS early on though, and misjudged the assault range of the bikes with summoned daemons, and with some help from a retinue i was able to get a cheeky clipping assault that just broke the unit. Stephan then poured resources into this wood in the middle of the table though, and destoyed the offending supporting retinue. This had pulled all the assault punch of his army into one place however, and i was able to march my remaining retinue onto his blitz, now guarded by only a unit of falcons, a void spinner, and a broken night spinner. As expected the aspects rallied, but i won the rolloff, and promptly took out the void spinner, re-broke the night spinner, and wiped out the aspect unit and intermingled falcon unit near the woods with my bikes. It didn't all go in my favour though, with a death wheel dying to a cheeky crit after he then doubled the aspect bts back into the fray and engaged it with the avatar. His luck ran out though when trying to engage with his jetbikes on my bikes and they failed to activate. Turn 3 i tried my luck with the terminators to go after the BTS, but Stephan won the roll and caned them with his BTS. After this i focussed on objectives, and took a 3-0 in turn 3. Overall a very interesting game, and could have gone very differently had Stephan not been a bit overly keen with his vampire assault! It would have meant the retinue would have survived, but he would have been able to stop me taking out everything around his blitz, so overall i think that would have helped more overall.

An interesting weekend! I was very pleased with how the army performed overall, and a bit of good luck in some key points of games helped things along nicely. Looking forward to next year :) (if i make the UK team of course)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:27 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thanks! Always interesting to read tournament reports

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:19 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thanks for the games - I had five exciting and educational matches, and I'm looking forward to next year!

My pictures from the days:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/StZnkro0WtY93TBk2

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:43 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi all!

Apologies for not posting sooner but a busy week and a small burnout from last weekend's event left me recharging the old batteries :)

Again, thank you all for a great weekend! It was amazing to meet you all and see our armies and watch all the games. It was also a huge pleasure to be able to give something back to this community and this game, which has given so much joy down the years. Next time, I'll be participating, gaming - hopefully in Germany but I see the Scots are putting up a show also - so maybe two trips next year! :)

So the EEC results (I have been asked to leave out some names but I figure you can guess who's who)

Team Scores:

UK - 642
SE - 450
DE1 - 354
DK1 - 262
DK2 - 262
DE2 - 236

Individual Scores:

DK1 Stephan 78
DK1 Philip 40
DK1 Theis 52
DK1 Jacob 72
DK2 Martin 64
DK2 Torben 64
DK2 Thorbjørn 46
DK2 Erik 68
UK Tim 108
UK Richard 152
UK Steve 140
UK Dan 142
DE1 ***** 66
DE1 ****** 82
DE1 ******* 106
DE1 ******* 60
DE2 ******* 62
DE2 ****** 86
DE2 **** 54
DE2 ****** 14
SE Magnus 112
SE Marcus 106
SE Per 74
SE Mats 78

UK were dominant but I think the majority had fun games. True, Dan's list was hard to handle but not anything like Richard's or Steve's. And besides the competitive nature of the event, there were smiles all round (for the most part). The Swedish Eldar list was also tricky and I think the Neurons also posed some problems for some opponents but then again they usually do.

It was a tremendous joy to meet you all and hopefully we'll meet again soon! We are already planning for next year's Giant Fanatic in Copenhagen, which will feature Epic and perchance a surprise visit from Granma Wendy? That tournament is always in the first weekend of October so have that in mind if you're looking to come back!

Again, thank you!
Thomas

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:47 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thanks again for hosting - it was great fun and really well run :) If the two german teams weren't wanting their scores shown, they should have said something earlier though, as i think they're already posted up on the previous page!

I think the ongoing UK success really is down to our tournament scene, and the hard work of people like Steve, Tim, and Dave to keep things rolling forward. There's no substitute to experience, and being able to get 10 or so tournaments in a year (on top of friendlies) against top notch opponents helps us keep improving. Getting exposure to the more unusual lists (and how all their dirty tricks work) also helps, as it's always rough playing against armies when you don't know what they're going to do (especially armies like Necrons and Dark Eldar).

I do think the standard of play is overall improving though, and i suspect in a few more years things may start getting pretty close! I did like some of the lists from this year, challenging the accepted meta is always good* (even if it doesn't pan out), and helps keep the game fresh and interesting :)

*Unless you bring 6 thunderhawks that is :P

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:19 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I do not know where this **** for the German players come from. Whoever initiated that, did so without asking.
DE2 is fine with having their names listed.

About the relative strength.
In Germany there is the DFB-Pokal a soccer championship in which clubs not only from the Bundesliga partake.
So it will happen that a club from an amateur league has to play a club from premier league. Huge difference in experience, practice, commitment, etc.
That's us (non UK teams) competing with the UK.

Still sometimes the miracle happens.

Most importantly the EEC gets players together and raises interest in Epic.
For the next EEC we already have 4 more players interested. No challengers for the UK team, but a definite win for Epic.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:24 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Brum, I could easily have lost 2 of my games so don't feel there was any notable drop in quality between the UK & European players (for context I've lost 1 out of 18 UK tournament games this year). Also, we had an extremely strong team this year both in terms of player quality and form. The main difference for me was less about on board play and more about list strength.

I'm also really hoping to have an actual Scotland team next year to give the rUK a run for its money!

Last edited by StevekCole on Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:49 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Looks like an amazing time to of been had by all. perhaps next year we can work out some type of (twitch) streaming could be done for those of us that are never going to make it to an EEC? would be amazing to look in at these games from all you Tier 1 players!

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list
-Help me make Whitescars not suck!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 235 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next