Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 159 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

EXETERminatus Tournament, May 20th in Exeter, Devon

Post subject: Re: EXETERminatus Tournament, May 20th in Exeter, Devon
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 10:39 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

RichardL wrote:
That might have been me with the Warlock on Gorgons, i think i got both in a unit in base contact once, which may have been somewhat upsetting for the Krieg player...

Yes, this using one model to base-to-base 2 others, in order to stop disembarking is serious cheese (against the spirit if not the RAW imho). But happy to play it in case i get pulled against Steve! ;-)

Posted using Tapatalk

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 11:04 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

as far as i'm aware one of the more infamous examples of this was Dave T air assaulting Rug's (Matt A) eldar, which had a unit in 4 wave serpents in a fetching diamond formation. Dave's terminators then proceeded to b2b 2 serpents each, trapping the entire unit inside the serpents. Matt was not a happy bunny...

Just goes to show that formation is important when you're in transports and facing an opponent that has the ability for long range assaults though!

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 11:52 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

RichardL wrote:
Top tip against Warlocks though - don't be afraid to stick the infantry 'aka meatshields' out front to protect the gorgons in an assault, or even better if possible get in base contact with it with both the gorgons and some infantry, then put the normal hits on the gorgons, and the TK stuff on the infantry, which you can do as they're all equidistant at that point. Obviously you need to still make the normal saves...

I do find it interesting really though that while you can pick out a war engine in shooting, you can't in firefight? odd, but there you go.

if the gorgons both get into BTB though, the warlock should just FF all attacks which will then hit the no save guardsmen..... ;)

NetEA Red Corsairs Army Champion

My hobby/painting threads

Army Forge List Co-ordinator

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 12:00 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

fair one, the warlock could indeed do that - probably the best thing to do then is just to shoot it with shadowswords until a save is failed... (if you can get a bead on it that is)

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 12:04 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

My shadowswords have been atrocious in my warm up games. Killed a single knight on Monday and I think a single Grav tank against Mark - the difference between them and a cyclops is night and chuffing day.

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 12:50 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

My Death Wheels approve of that record, and request this continues into the weekend :P

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 1:10 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

RichardL wrote:
as far as i'm aware one of the more infamous examples of this was Dave T air assaulting Rug's (Matt A) eldar, which had a unit in 4 wave serpents in a fetching diamond formation. Dave's terminators then proceeded to b2b 2 serpents each, trapping the entire unit inside the serpents. Matt was not a happy bunny...

Just goes to show that formation is important when you're in transports and facing an opponent that has the ability for long range assaults though!

Yeah, exact same thing happened to me last year (cant exactly remember who or when - i think the GT). Retinue trapped in rhinos by 4 stands. The same Dave/Matt anecdote was discussed at the time. Lets just say, i haven't done it again since... :-)

Posted using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 3:37 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

useful info - I didn't realise it was possible to do that. I vaguely thought that if you had that situation where both attacker and defenders are in combat with multiple enemies you break them up into pairs - but that might be something half remembered from 2nd edition. It's clearly possible in E:A so something to look out for! I think practically its quite rare to see units left in transports and it might be difficult to get 6 units each touching both gorgons. Finally I don't think WE should have ever been treated as more than 1 unit for trapping units in transports for reasons that were went into on another fairly recent thread.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 11:06 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Just to check, are the scored in the custom mission the points you get in the tournament standing (we realised we'd assumed so but not checked). So the game ends a 9 - 9 draw we both get 9 points rather than the usual 16 for a straight draw under the Swiss system?

Shadowsword update. Killed a single swooping hawk and a viper jet bike tonight. :{[] :{[]

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 11:23 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Don't forget that the objectives have a 'memory' and stay held by you until the other player comes and takes it. In practice, a draw will usually be 15-15 for holding your own objective and a midline objective each turn.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 11:25 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Played the Exeter scenario tonight and despite Steves Shadowswords being made of 1s the game ended 23-13 to the Krieg. It's fair to say Krieg are pretty good in this scenario! (Though Steves skills with them are certainly growing.)
Most importantly it's fun and different - we both had to grit our teeth and take risks to stay aggressive at times. It's also fun to be able to throw your BTS at the opposition without the usual worries.(I'm sure the Dark Eldar will like this.)

I take it tournament pts are earned through objectives? Seems to make it better to go for pts than contest. (As the 9-9 example might indicate)

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 8:18 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I think scenery will play a big part in that scenario to be honest, if there's ruins or buildings close enough to the objectives for instance Krieg are going to be doing a happy dance ;) If it's open ground nearby they might have a slightly tougher time though.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 9:25 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

*Makes note to put Steve on a wide open table for round 2...* ;)

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 9:37 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

it sounds like you have to forget everything you take for granted - great idea to have a single special mission like this in a 3 game tourny

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 10:03 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

IJW Wartrader wrote:
*Makes note to put Steve on a wide open table for round 2...* ;)

We've got that ping pong table ready right?

Posted using Tapatalk

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 159 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next