Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 193 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

SOLD OUT! Bristol Winter Warmer 2014: Return of the Brizzle

Post subject: Re: SOLD OUT! Bristol Winter Warmer 2014: Return of the Briz
PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:37 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:38 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Sure Reedar will be along soon with his far superior army shots and cheesy prize giving smile pictures!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:52 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thanks Ryan, I had a great weekend. Thanks to Chris and Callum for good games too (but not you Ryan, I hate your lists). It was great to meet everyone and I hope to see some of you more fequently at the Bristol & SW Epic Club (www.tacticalwargames.net/taccmd/viewtop ... 88&t=24632).

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:13 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thumbnails. Photos and full report: http://wargamingtrader.com/2014-epic-winter-warmer

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:37 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Stu's Idle wrote:
Thanks Ryan, I had a great weekend. Thanks to Chris and Callum for good games too (but not you Ryan, I hate your lists). It was great to meet everyone and I hope to see some of you more fequently at the Bristol & SW Epic Club (viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24632).

Hehee!

Think we might have a few new comers soon :-)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:11 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

A few (more) photos from the day...

The motley attendees...

Kryt taking top spot...

Edgarsan having a shocker and only coming second...

Jon showing WoU how to make the Imperator competitive...

Edit: photo size

Last edited by Reedar on Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:14 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Ok, that looks massive. What size should the photos be ideally guys?

Cheers
Reedar

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:35 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Cai pleased as punch with the wooden spoon...

Callum getting the pundits for his 'friendly' Marine list...

Painting Prizes; Reedar, Elsmore trying to escape the attentions of MoK...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:41 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

aaaaaaand lastly; MoKs Moral Dilema!

Part way through the results MoK realises that awarding himself an extra painting point for his fantastic looking Guard affects the placing of the top three - MoK gives in to crowd heckling and misses out on the prizes!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:50 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

looks like a great time all round, sad to miss it again! (next year maybe...)

I think I need to address the elephant in the room and ask what in blazes has happened to MoK's beard?!?!

always sad to lose a beard-brother from the collective.....

NetEA Red Corsairs Army Champion

My hobby/painting threads

Army Forge List Co-ordinator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:10 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thanks to Ryan and everyone who helped out, along with my opponents Cai, Darren and Jon for three enjoyable games. Admittedly they went quite well for me, hence the win!

My list, in brief:
Fire dragons in falcons with autarch
Warlock titan
Guardians in wave serpents
2 formations of fire prisms + fire storms
2 formations of rangers
Void spinner

I wanted to see if I could use my aspects in shooty mode, there was a thread a while back discussing aspects in falcons so I thought this would be fun to try.

First up was Cai's tanks. And more tanks. Then some more tanks. Normally I'd have been grumbling about there being nothing but reinforced armour on the board, but I had lots of AT, lance, and MW so things were not so bad as they could have been. I decided I had the units to aim for BTS, and planned to push up deep and keep the action in the enemy half. Overall I managed to stay largely out of sight from all those guns, break units at the right time etc. No doubt frustrating for Cai, who was not familiar with fighting Eldar and hardly managed to get much out of his units. The warlock got stuck into the action, and although it didn't do much damage on turn 1 its holofields held out well. The turning point in this game was the beginning of turn 2, I won the initiative and proceeded to decimate 2 tank companies in classic Eldar engage-consolidate-engage style with the aspects and warlock. Despite wanting to shoot with the aspects, an engagement was just too juicy a prospect. Pretty much the same thing happened on turn 3, although the warlock was failing saves by now and was exposed without its holofield. To add insult to injury, Cai's shadowsword then failed to hit and the warlock survived until the end of the game. It ended 5-0 in the 3rd turn, a flattering result that reflected the strategy rolls more than anything else IMO. When your warlock and aspects get to contribute to 4 or 5 engagements each, things are probably going your way.

Next up was Darren's stompy list, with a great gargant, gargant, 3 supa stompas, a few planes and some lootaz on the blitz. I think both of us wanted to see some warlock-on-great-gargant action and the game didn't disappoint. I felt much less secure in this game, fretting about the lack of LOS-blocking terrain in the centre and I kept getting caught by macro-barrage-round-the-corner attacks. However those barrages seemed not to be actually killing much, and yet again my holofields were holding up to macros and TKs. The ork machines had shields coming out of the wazoo so the first turn was mostly just whittling those down. That always feels like failure, but generally turns out to be useful later on. The centre of the board saw the big war engines clash, the warlock planting itself amidst both gargants in hope of winning the initiative. My dice didn't disappoint, and as in the previous game, the aspects in falcons and warlock combined to neutralise first the gargant and then the great gargant. I can't remember the order of events exactly, but the great gargant eventually went down, and later so did the warlock after losing its holofield. The game was decided via objectives; I had largely ignored the orks sitting on the blitz but held most of the other objectives, so it came down to what Darren could do with his bommer. I had two formations guarding the blitz and none of the objectives were close enough together that it could contest two. That meant the best option was to land it on one of the objectives in my half, denying me DtF and TSNP. Thus the game ended with a 2-1 win to me in the third turn (BTS, Take & Hold vs BTS).

The third game saw me lined up against another WE list, this time it was Jon's imperator, warlord, two warhounds and thunderbolts. I figured I'd be letting the side down if I didn't try to kill the imperator, so I planned to try. Actually it didn't end up that way, in fact the opposite happened and I destroyed all the ground units except the imperator. It ended the game 1 BM from breaking, some DC remaining and reactor damage. The story of this game was one of rubbish shooting from the imperator, good saves from the holofields once more, and rolling lots of shooting dice from aspects on advance orders. Exactly as in the previous game, my warlock plonked itself next to three titans. This time I lost the strategy roll off, but the warlock survived the first assault from the warlord and won the combat. It did lose its holofields though (again), and subsequently succumbed to the imperator's shooting. The aspects, shooty units and guardians finished off the remaining titans though, leaving me the challenge of killing it in the third turn. It got fairly close to destruction, but after a formation of fire prisms failed to rally for the second time and my guardians were not close enough to engage it because I didn't put them in their transports, it wasn't going to be possible. The game ended up quite close, with a formation of rangers failing their activation and only just being able to claim DtF. It was 2-1 to me in the third turn (DtF, TSNP vs BTS). In retrospect it might have been better to let it go to 4 turns and go for all 5 victory conditions, but let's not get ahead of ourselves eh?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:06 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Just wanted to say thanks to all attendees and especially to Ryan and the Brizzle crew for organizing the event. Dan (wookie) and i had a cracking time on the table and socially - great putting some faces to Taccomers for a few i have been in conversation with here and many i haven't, plus more games of Epic in 8 hours than we usually manage in a good month !

I had the full gamut of results. In the 1st Richard took me to school with his titans before i even woke up, virtually sweeping the board on the third turn while i just stood on like a rabbit in head lights - but he was very gracious in his advice for next time. Think I'll be painting up those old beetle-backs and getting some titan-practice in asap ! Callum and i had a great game, with his Marines having some awful luck just when things could have got sticky for me... meant my victory certainly looked more decisive than it should have been - look forward to a rematch some time! Third game was a slug-match with Chris and I grasping at victory all the way through - in the end his early success put me on the back foot and I could never quite recover enough momentum to strike back decisively - never again will i underestimate Ork Landas !

The venue put on some stunning themed tables and all the painting quality of the attending armies was fantastic. Getting the chance to see Elsmore's Exodite Eldar was worth the trip alone ! I think it might have almost got Wookie smitten enough to start collecting 6mm himself... Though i received a pic of an infinity mini today at least he's painting something ! ;)

All in all a great day - we hope to make it up to Bristol (or visit Ian in Exeter) again soon !

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:40 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Sorry to have missed this - sounds like much fun was had.

Kyrt, what were your views on Aspects in Falcons, and the reduced activation count?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:35 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Well the first thing to note was that a lot of the lists at the tournament didn't have very many activations, lots of people brought WE-heavy lists. In my first two games I had roughly the same as my opponent, and in the third I had three more. I was toting an obscene amount of anti-armour weaponry and so had a good sporting chance of matching up against stuff that would normally have stopped me playing aggressively. I am much more comfortable when I am putting the enemy into "reactive" mode.

Against an army with mostly AP (I only faced a single formation that had any infantry in my three games, and I pretty much ignored them) and lots of activations things would probably have been different.

As far as the formation itself was concerned, it performed very well. Even after taking some casualties from barrage and other shooting, it still provided a huge threat and won some engagements comfortably. There was also at least one situation where the shooting ability was very useful and allowed me to do things that aspects would normally not be able to. Namely, advance up in front of a battle titan, shoot to get rid of all its shields, and then support an assault from a warlock or guardians. This way the poor-armour aspect formation had no risk and could do the same thing next turn, but were still able to contribute twice:
1. shooting, in theory with 14xAT4+, 7xAT5+, 7xMW5+
2. supporting, in theory with 8x4+, 2x3+ and 7xMW4+

If I'd won initiative in the last game, I could probably have taken out both the imperator AND the warlord with those three formations. But that right there just illustrates exactly what balances out this power - usually something goes wrong with strategy or activation, and so what actually happened was that the warlock ended up destroyed.

I'm unsure what would have happened if the warlock wasn't in the list - it attracted a lot of attention as my opponents went for BTS, without it the aspects would be BTS and a juicy target. More attention from shooting would undoubtedly reduce its effectiveness a LOT, though falcons can withdraw 70cm so perhaps not as bad a BTS as one might think.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:30 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Is there interest in more detailed feedback from the point of view of someone attending their first ever Epic tournament?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 193 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next