Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 187 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next

Bristol and SW Epic Club: Meets EVERY 1st Tuesday each Month

Post subject: Bristol and SW Epic Club: Meets EVERY 1st Tuesday each Month
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:30 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi :-),

This is a thread about the Bristol and Southwest Epic Club; we meet each 1st Tuesday of the Month at The Old Duke, BS1 4ER. A map etc can be found here http://www.theoldduke.com/contact.htm.
For those that drive there's also reasonably priced on street pricing right outside the venue and nearby.

We have up to five tables with well made terrain in a room above the venue (which is managed by one of our members), there's good beers and ciders on tap downstairs and live blues 'n' jazz if you fancy a break from gaming!

So far we've played a 2000-5000pt escalation league which got everybody busy painting their new toys and had plenty of practice at 3k Tournament style games! Every now and then we get fish and chips/takeaway/pizza or some other snacks in too.

In the future we'll be playing doubles, running some campaigns, trying our new scenarios and generally having a bit of fun. More scenery is usually being made on site and we also host the yearly Bristol Winter Tournament which has proved a success 3 years running now!

The whole 'club' is very informal; we're new player friendly and more than happy to lend you some minis for a test game; no subscription fees either!

So, drop us a line on here or just turn up to take a browse of all our lovely minis!

Yours,
Ryan

Last edited by Man of kent on Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Bristol and Southwest Epic Club (Name in Progress!)
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:16 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Approx 18 months ago, myself and 2 friends took over our existing club and opened the "Giant's Lair" in Plymouth. We host tournaments for most of the main systems, but we have an existing group of 6-8 guys who play Epic. Much of the frustration when the club met in the pub (our old venue) was that Epic was enjoyed on a bigger playing surface than 6x4.
With this in mind when we build new terrain it is initially on 12x4, so 2 games of warhammer, 3 of warmachine, 4 of Malifaux, and you've guessed 1 of Epic.

space hulk

and bfg

At this moment in time our guys are very casual but hopefully will become more tournament savvy, but in the meantime throw our name in the hat for any South West meets!!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:41 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Welcome to the forum nagged, a question, i was wondering why did the Giant's Lair have no presence at the local PAW convention this year?

I expected to see you there the same as last year and was rather disappointed.

Sorry MOK i'm not trying to crash your thread. :) Your club idea sounds good to me.

Link, http://vanguardminiatures.co.uk/

Stockist of:

Vanguard Miniatures
BattleGroup Helios
Onslaught Miniatures
Pyrkol Gaming Markers
Gregster's Lab
Microworld Games
Troublemaker Games

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:28 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Great Scenery fella's! We'll be setting up a fo rum for the club soon so feel free to keep an eye out and come along and play!

As an update to this thread Stu's Idle and I have now decided to host it at the Old Duke on the FIRST TUESDAY of each MONTH starting in March :-) An email and announcement will follow but I'm off on holiday for a week first so give me time!
R>

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:02 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

postcode for old duke?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:50 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

BS1 4ER. A map etc can be found here http://www.theoldduke.com/contact.htm

I have 5 table in a private room above the pub. People are welcome to use them at any time, not just on club nights. If you could drop me a PM first that would be handy.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:57 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

@nagged. Hello, welcome to the forum. Nice tables, I'm particularly jealous of the Space Hulk one.

Can I just ask how many points you're playing on the 12x4 tables? Although I find that my 3k pt armies, on a 6x4 table, can be a squeeze I've rarely felt we needed a larger table. Some people I've fought would have struggled to move their forces quickly enough on a larger table. This is not a criticism by the way, just curiosity... I may have to try it some time.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:16 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Great news Ryan, thanks also to Stu for the venue.

I hope to be over regularly. Just wondering if Stu or another Bristol local could give any insight on parking (free?) within walking distance. Thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:24 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

There's lots of paid parking, an NCP or on street (the council has put parking meters everywhere), but free parking has become very hard to find. There are some places I believe but I'm not really sure where. Sorry I can't be more useful there.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:43 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Suggestion for club name:
Mad Cow. (look at the initals of current one)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:48 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

There is on street parking directly outside the pub which is (IIRC) £2.50 for the night (after 6). As it is directly in the center of Bristol, free parking within 15 minutes walk will be hard to find. The closest I know of is Hawkings Street or Old Bread Street https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?saddr=Hawkins+St&daddr=Welsh+Back&hl=en&ll=51.453539,-2.584362&spn=0.006044,0.012789&sll=51.451747,-2.591271&sspn=0.006044,0.012789&geocode=FQ8kEQMdaZrY_w%3BFc4XEQMdU3DY_w&dirflg=w&mra=ltm&t=m&z=16

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:12 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

First meeting is tuesdaybthe fifth of march. We have opted for first Tuesday of each month

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:18 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Here's the forum we're using crossing over from the old Cut and Thrust Crowd:

http://www.miniature-wargames.co.uk/for ... php?fid=34

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:13 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Congrats on getting a club sorted.

I hope you had a good game/chat last night.

Not sure if it is of any interest but I am willing to offer your club a 10% on my stuff.
If that sounds like it may be of use, drop me an e-mail to discuss.

:D

mail@angelbarracks.co.uk

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:13 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

6 of us turned up on Tuesday just gone and managed to get a couple of games in :-) Stu was ill though and Jon late but it was great to see everyone again.

All our terrain is now down the duke and a 2 to 5k escalation league has started. Extra players are welcome with a pts system in place for people to catch up if they miss a game :-)

Tom (Angor) played Ben (EdgarSan) in a 2k Tau vs NetEA Black Legion face off to test the new Daemon rules and the BL kicked ass! Photo and mini batrep may follow!

Myself and Horatio (Nat) played another 2000pt game, this time my Krieg vs his Steel Legion.

I took (EuK list)
-Infantry in Gorgons
-Infantry in Gorgons
-Infantry
-AA
-AA
-Medusas
-Rough Riders
-Rough Riders

whilst Nat took:

-SC Mech Company
-Mech Company
-Stormtroopers in Valkyries
-Rough Riders
-Shadowsword
-Shadowsword
-T.bolts

Nat placed both of his objectives in my half 3/4 of the way towards me and on both edges of the table, I placed mine on the centre line of the right hand flank 30cm from of each. No Garrisons for the Steel Legion whilst the siege troops placed their infantry company on foot and the Medusa Siege Guns on Overwatch on the right flank.

In short, I had previously decided to go for a big victory by turn 4 as I wanted to set up a suprise which, to Nat's Dismay, worked. Turn 1 saw his force storm forwards with the Mech Companies taking the centre of the board and the Valkyries rushing to take the left flank objective and block me from that. Unfortunately for them it also saw me open up both of my Gorgon mounted companies on Sustained Fire which bought a hefty 4bp down on each mech company, slaying his Supreme Commander and scattering the unarmoured infantry.
From here on in it was merely a case of unlucky dice for the guard, whilst I made sure to keep BM's on all of his important formations in the hope that 1 might not activate they kept failing their action tests by rolling 1's. A shadowsword did manage to pop a Gorgon but, simply put, turn 2 was wasted time for the poor imperial guardsmen and Horatio wasn't able to make a push into my lines.
Come turn 3 I'd managed to keep most of his companies at bay whilst wiping out smaller amounts of formation and the game ended with the guard being forced to send a broken mech company into my table half in the hope that they'd rally after losing an assault, alas, this wasn't the case and the game ended 3-0 to me but I put the victory down to dice!

I also realise if could have taken the NetEA Krieg list which would have netted me another 175pts to play with; enough to upgrade my medusa's to Earthshakers and take a supreme commander or maybe some planes. I'm yet to decide on which list has got the pts costings right!

Ciao for now!
R>

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 187 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next